brooksorkot

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I am pretty new to this but I am wondering if "Dual Core Processor, and Dual Core Technology" are the same thing or are they different? If they are different what makes them different?

threep

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
AMD's Dual-core are actually two processors on the same silicon die. Literally twice the size of single-core processors, but at 90nm (measurement of the smallest distance between transistors in the circuit), they are about the same size as a 130nm single core, and are drop-in replacable on existing 939 and 940 motherboards.

Intel's first Core Duo processors are actually 2 silicon dies (or chips) interconnected in a single package. But they are a redesigned package, and require a motherboard change.

Not sure about the Core 2 Duo (I haven't actually seen one yet), but I would think that with all they hype and the heat specs, its probably one die like the AMD.

Anyone else know for sure?

8)

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Not sure about the Core 2 Duo (I haven't actually seen one yet), but I would think that with all they hype and the heat specs, its probably one die like the AMD.

Anyone else know for sure?

8)

conroe are 2 core which sare a L2 cache to stop cache trashing. so the 2mg cashe is actually more like 1meg each core but its a MUCH more effeicent way of doing this. thats why the conroes are that much faster. just wait till you see the new 65nm AMDs, if they share cache they should preform very closely.