TEST LAB

Hello,

What is the best way to duplicate my production network into a test lab?

We are running 4 DCs on the production network. I would like setup the same
settings, accounts, groups, group policies, dns, on my test lab.

Someone mentioned building a server on the production network, promoting the
server to a domain controller and letting it replicate.

What would be the impact on my production network once I disconnect the
domain controller?

as long as you take it out of the domain properly you sohuld be fine...
otherwise you will have undeleteable :p dsa objects that you'll have to get
rid of with asdi edit... but all in all this is your best way to copy data,
unless you use a dos type backup too (robocopy) to copy all for all onto the
box.

also if it's a similar server you can image one of your existing, that would
require you to down / image burn a live DC though.
"it4boni" <it4boni@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> What is the best way to duplicate my production network into a test lab?
>
> We are running 4 DCs on the production network. I would like setup the
same
> settings, accounts, groups, group policies, dns, on my test lab.
>
> Someone mentioned building a server on the production network, promoting
the
> server to a domain controller and letting it replicate.
>
> What would be the impact on my production network once I disconnect the
> domain controller?

OK. What would be the proper way to take it out of the domain?

"pittspeed" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> as long as you take it out of the domain properly you sohuld be fine...
> otherwise you will have undeleteable :p dsa objects that you'll have to
get
> rid of with asdi edit... but all in all this is your best way to copy
data,
> unless you use a dos type backup too (robocopy) to copy all for all onto
the
> box.
>
> also if it's a similar server you can image one of your existing, that
would
> require you to down / image burn a live DC though.
> "it4boni" <it4boni@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > What is the best way to duplicate my production network into a test lab?
> >
> > We are running 4 DCs on the production network. I would like setup the
> same
> > settings, accounts, groups, group policies, dns, on my test lab.
> >
> > Someone mentioned building a server on the production network, promoting
> the
> > server to a domain controller and letting it replicate.
> >
> > What would be the impact on my production network once I disconnect the
> > domain controller?

Use Microsoft VM ware