Important Notice Regarding Tiger Direct OEM Conroe Orders!!

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING OUR RETURN POLICY ON CPU'S: Please note that all processors may be returned only for defective exchange. You must purchase a compatible heatsink and fan on the same order as the processor in order to preserve your warranty or exchange privilege. We are not able to accept returns for refunds on processors under any circumstances. All processors will be inspected and tested upon return and any damage caused by poor packaging, overclocking, or other tampering with the processor will be cause for the return to be refused, and exchange denied.

Please read the bolded text in the above quote. It's taken from the product page of the E6600 that I ordered today.
I had to phone Tiger Direct and have a sales representative merge a heatsink/fan order with my Core 2 Duo order.
If you have any problems with your Intel product, they [Intel] may point you back to the vendor from which you bought the component ... so in order to maintain your warranty through Tiger Direct, you'll need to have a heatsink/fan on the same order as the OEM CPU that you purchase.
This policy doesn't apply to Retail CPUs, obviously.

Hope this is helpful to some.

ArbY

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Just another way for them to make money I guess......

I was wondering....say if I was to purchase a OEM Conroe E6x00 and I already own a heatsink that's compatible with, approved and currently selling on Tiger Direct.

Can I provide proof to Tiger Direct that I have such a compatible / certified cooler with all the necessary fittings and they can waive the "MUST PURCHASE COMPATIBLE HEATSINK AND FAN" BS policy???

I'd take them to Consumer Affairs with this................

Its like saying buying a car but you must purchase the petrol they provide you with or you get no warranty with the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Dude for an extra $20-$35 dont risk your life. Just buy a good fan from TD so you will have a VALID proof.

Im gonna do that. $399.09 for my E6600 wasnt really cheap

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
not really..

Dude for an extra $20-$35 dont risk your life. Just buy a good fan from TD so you will have a VALID proof.

Im gonna do that. $399.09 for my E6600 wasnt really cheap

I mean if you believe that their compatible fan and heatsink combo is gonna do it for you....then yeah, why not!!

But for someone with a watercooling setup is gonna wonder why are they spending more money to buy a cooling soultion thats gonna performance worst than what they have?

I dont think thats what Intel had in mind when they decided to sell OEM versions of the CPUs....that you must buy a third party HEATSINK & FAN combo to retain the warranty~~~

Oh yeah, to slim142 ~~~ "$399.09 for my E6600 is not cheap" but if its within your budget and if you look at the performance its gonna give you........I'd say you've got yourself a bargain!!!!!!

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006

I was wondering....say if I was to purchase a OEM Conroe E6x00 and I already own a heatsink that's compatible with, approved and currently selling on Tiger Direct.

Can I provide proof to Tiger Direct that I have such a compatible / certified cooler with all the necessary fittings and they can waive the "MUST PURCHASE COMPATIBLE HEATSINK AND FAN" BS policy???

Is this a rhetorical question? All you'll get here are opinions and wild a** guesses. You'll need to call Tiger Direct and even then it's only 50/50 that you'll get the correct answer.

You can probably answer the question for yourself, If you were them, what would you do? Why would you waste time processing a request for an exception to policy?

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006

Is this a rhetorical question? All you'll get here are opinions and wild a** guesses. You'll need to call Tiger Direct and even then it's only 50/50 that you'll get the correct answer.

You can probably answer the question for yourself, If you were them, what would you do? Why would you waste time processing a request for an exception to policy?

Like I said.....I wouldnt question them~~ I'd take them straight to Consumer Affairs and I'm pretty sure I would win, too..........because that policy is NOT RIGHT!! So if I were them (Tiger Direct), I wouldnt have that policy in the first place, as Intel CPU warranty is not my to mess around with!!!!!!!!!

As Tiger Direct is not a manufacturer / producer of the actual CPUs, they cannot make such statements for its warranty!!!!

They are technically forcing you to buy a second product that is not designed by the same company nor packaged together straight out of the Intel factory!! Whose to say they are abosolutely compatible for each other?? Tiger Direct??

Intel didnt say anything about the sales of OEM CPUs must accompany a third party cooler at the point of purchase or else warranty is void~~~

For most people, they'd think taking it to the Consumer Affairs or court is just too much trouble.............but its not the money for me, its about ethics in business (maybe I am wrong, probably ethics dont exists in business, bend the rules - anything goes!!)

Its like paying extra money for warranty thats already there in the first place!!!

On other sites, the notice for warranties are "warranted through the product manufacturer only"......which is true because if its broken, is Tiger Direct gonna actually fix it for you or are they gonna send it back to Intel??

We all know the latter will be the case so I dont see how they can make that statement/ policy!

Fair enough if its obvious human caused error that they decline to provide warranty

Just out of interest, are you a Tiger Direct employee???

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Good for you~~

I dont see why you should pay extra money to get a warranty that's there in the first place!!!

The warranty of a Intel CPU is not Tiger Direct's to change or comment on!!!

Whatever happen to those Tiger Direct employees that were answering my posts???

Quetz

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
You would not win and the processor is not given a warranty by Intel.
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-001633.htm

Notice the bold print.
Vendors purchase processors in large lots which are often referred to as tray or OEM processors. These processors are not individually packaged in a box, they do not include a thermal solution, and the warranty is set and honored by the vendor. Vendors are allowed to sell tray processors directly to the consumer, and warranties can vary from vendor to vendor

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
In this case, one should compare the price of a OEM CPU to a boxed CPU and see which one works out better........

But I still dont see anywhere on the Intel document that says buying a thermal solution is a must at point of purchase for warranty?

Venders set their own warranty??

So it brings me back to my first question, if I had a compatible, certified, currently selling cooler same as ones on Tiger Direct (like Tiger Direct said, must have a compatible cooler for warranty - how long? I dont know), will they waive the must purchase policy??

"Would I waste time processing a request for an exception to policy?".....If you're not prepared to answer questions, then don't make people ask you!!!

I noticed AMD has the same policy as well though I've never heard of someone returning a faulty CPU that was not fixed by the vender or AMD themselves!

Darkwhisperer

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Well, this is the way i see it... Is $30 or waiting a week worth more to you? If you wait, you'll be able to get it from other places with the usual vendor guarantees. If not, pay the $30 and get it now!

Its not about right or wrong, moral or unjust, its just business.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006

Like I said.....I wouldnt question them~~ I'd take them straight to Consumer Affairs and I'm pretty sure I would win, too.........

OH NO YOU WOULD NOT, YOU WOULD LOSE!

As Tiger Direct is not a manufacturer / producer of the actual CPUs, they cannot make such statements for its warranty!!!!

YES THEY CAN! THOSE ARE THE TERMS SET BY INTEL FOR OEM/TRAY PRODUCTS.

They are technically forcing you to buy a second product that is not designed by the same company nor packaged together straight out of the Intel factory!! Whose to say they are abosolutely compatible for each other?? Tiger Direct??

YES

Intel didnt say anything about the sales of OEM CPUs must accompany a third party cooler at the point of purchase or else warranty is void~~~

YES THEY DID!

For most people, they'd think taking it to the Consumer Affairs or court is just too much trouble.............but its not the money for me, its about ethics in business (maybe I am wrong, probably ethics dont exists in business, bend the rules - anything goes!!)

WHAT A MORONIC STATEMENT!

Its like paying extra money for warranty thats already there in the first place!!!

ONCE AGAIN, YOU"RE ASSUMING SOMETHING THAT ISN'T TRUE.

On other sites, the notice for warranties are "warranted through the product manufacturer only"......which is true because if its broken, is Tiger Direct gonna actually fix it for you or are they gonna send it back to Intel??

DOUBTFUL.

We all know the latter will be the case so I dont see how they can make that statement/ policy!

BASED ON YOUR COMMENTS HERE, I DOUBT YOU CAN SEE ANYTHING THAT DOESN"T FIT WITH YOUR PRECONCEIVED IDEAS.

Fair enough if its obvious human caused error that they decline to provide warranty

THE ONLY TRUE AND REASONABLE COMMENT IN THIS POST.

NO,

BUT AREN"T YOU THAT LITTLE BOY THAT THROWS HIS SELF DOWN ON THE GROUND KICKING AND SCREAMING WHEN HIS MOMMY WON'T DO WHAT HE WANTS?

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Read the warranty link on TD site. It states that it does include a 12 month warranty through intel. You just can't go through TD for return/replacement. In this case I believe we would be considered the manufactures. I think the link that Quetz provided is in reference to people who bought from a vendor like HP and Dell.

Penguin21512

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Forget it! After all this mystery around TD, I cancelled my order, not worth the risk at this point, i'll wait longer if I have to, besides my video card is also backordered(eVGA 7900GT), so why rush?

Anyone know a place I can place order a retail version? Even if backordered, i'd like to atleast sit in line.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
This isn't anything new. I've seen these disclaimers on various sites since sites started selling processors. If someone isn't aware of the policy, then it's their own fault.

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Since it is *not* a boxed CPU, it falls under the OEM classification. It is entirely possible, even likely, that TD established their warranty through Intel instead of doing it in-house. Note that the bolded text also includes "or exchange priviledge." This is a catch-all statement that prevents idiots from buying a processor without a HSF, installing it, turning on the system, watching the CPU go up in smoke, and trying to return it as a "defective" product.

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
There is a 12 month warranty through intel but this is an OEM part, intended for installation in a machine by the manufacturer. Almost all OEM part warranty claims in the first 30-90 days (depending on vendor) are paid by the OEM, ie Tiger Direct. The theory is, most immediate failures are due to improper installation. TD is just passing the cost savings and risk of an OEM part on to you.

As for the 'perfectly fine water cooler' post, why would you own a water cooler if you weren't going to overclock?

RichPLS

Champion
There are quite a few water cooled users who do not overclock...
It has other benifits, like removing heat from CPU out of the case... and silence...
yet most do overclock...

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Tiger Direct is a SHADY business. They used to sell or give away personal information about people who buy from them. They sometimes sell refurbished goods as new. They have attempted things to improve their image, but I say once SHADY always SHADY. I would advise you to look for a more reputable company.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Like I said.....I wouldnt question them~~ I'd take them straight to Consumer Affairs and I'm pretty sure I would win, too.........

YES THEY CAN! THOSE ARE THE TERMS SET BY INTEL FOR OEM/TRAY PRODUCTS
..........You're basing this on the fact that Intel has it stated in their definition of Boxed and OEM CPUs??

Well, check your USA electronic warranty legislation laws........it will tell you that purhcasing brand new electronic goods from vendors and retailers, they must offer a minimum warranty (eg. at least one year and may vary with depending goods purchased!!)

So if Tiger Direct thinks they can say "nope, sorry buddy, you didnt purhcase a heatsink+fan from us so no warranty for you.......they've got another thing coming"........Regardless of what Intel and Tiger Direct says or have written on their website, they must operate within the guidelines!!!

Dont take my word for it, call Consumer Affairs and ask them about minimum warranty legislations for brand new electronic goods purchased from a vendor / retailer!!

ONCE AGAIN, YOU"RE ASSUMING SOMETHING THAT ISN'T TRUE
.......so you're saying OEM Conroes dont carry warranty with them??

DOUBTFUL.

BASED ON YOUR COMMENTS HERE, I DOUBT YOU CAN SEE ANYTHING THAT DOESN"T FIT WITH YOUR PRECONCEIVED IDEAS.
............so you're saying that Tiger Direct has the technology to repair / built / diagnose a Conroe?? Wow, TD's definitely come a long way since its early days......well, you probably know more than I do since you work for them~~

THE ONLY TRUE AND REASONABLE COMMENT IN THIS POST
.......thats not reasonable, its common sense but I wrote it down for you in black and white because you seem to need to see it written down somewhere just so you know what to do!!!! And I thought I'd try writting it down for you because you seem to follow what Intel /TD tells you to do and forgets your consumer rights!!!

Notice Intel said "These processors are not individually packaged in a box, they do not include a thermal solution, and the warranty is set and honored by the vendor. Vendors are allowed to sell tray processors directly to the consumer, and warranties can vary from vendor to vendor" but they never said no HEATSINK+FAN purchase = no warranty".......that I gotta give to TD for bravery for saying that (if they did indeed say that)!!

NO,

BUT AREN"T YOU THAT LITTLE BOY THAT THROWS HIS SELF DOWN ON THE GROUND KICKING AND SCREAMING WHEN HIS MOMMY WON'T DO WHAT HE WANTS?
..........not quite, I do kick and scream but I always get what I want~~~~when I am right of course!!

Tiger Direct is a SHADY business. They used to sell or give away personal information about people who buy from them. They sometimes sell refurbished goods as new. They have attempted things to improve their image, but I say once SHADY always SHADY. I would advise you to look for a more reputable company.
.....looks like bad news is going around for TD!!

I dare TD to sell just the single CONROE CHIP WITHOUT GIVING PEOPLE at least the minimum WARRANTY addressed in the legislation!!!

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006

YES THEY CAN! THOSE ARE THE TERMS SET BY INTEL FOR OEM/TRAY PRODUCTS
..........You're basing this on the fact that Intel has it stated in their definition of Boxed and OEM CPUs??

Well, check your USA electronic warranty legislation laws........it will tell you that purhcasing brand new electronic goods from vendors and retailers, they must offer a minimum warranty (eg. at least one year and may vary with depending goods purchased!!)

So if Tiger Direct thinks they can say "nope, sorry buddy, you didnt purhcase a heatsink+fan from us so no warranty for you.......they've got another thing coming"........Regardless of what Intel and Tiger Direct says or have written on their website, they must operate within the guidelines!!!

Dont take my word for it, call Consumer Affairs and ask them about minimum warranty legislations for brand new electronic goods purchased from a vendor / retailer!!

ONCE AGAIN, YOU"RE ASSUMING SOMETHING THAT ISN'T TRUE
.......so you're saying OEM Conroes dont carry warranty with them??

DOUBTFUL.

............so you're saying that Tiger Direct has the technology to repair / built / diagnose a Conroe?? Wow, TD's definitely come a long way since its early days......well, you probably know more than I do since you work for them~~

THE ONLY TRUE AND REASONABLE COMMENT IN THIS POST
.......thats not reasonable, its common sense but I wrote it down for you in black and white because you seem to need to see it written down somewhere just so you know what to do!!!! And I thought I'd try writting it down for you because you seem to follow what Intel /TD tells you to do and forgets your consumer rights!!!

Notice Intel said "These processors are not individually packaged in a box, they do not include a thermal solution, and the warranty is set and honored by the vendor. Vendors are allowed to sell tray processors directly to the consumer, and warranties can vary from vendor to vendor" but they never said no HEATSINK+FAN purchase = no warranty".......that I gotta give to TD for bravery for saying that (if they did indeed say that)!!

NO,

..........not quite, I do kick and scream but I always get what I want~~~~when I am right of course!!

.....looks like bad news is going around for TD!!

I dare TD to sell just the single CONROE CHIP WITHOUT GIVING PEOPLE at least the minimum WARRANTY addressed in the legislation!!!

Please provide a link to this consumer legislation that you repeatedly reference. BTW, any laws mandating warranty provisions for consumer protection do not apply here. An OEM/tray CPU “IS NOT A CONSUMER PRODUCT”, and is not offered as such.

I could continue to debate your childish rants, but why waste time engaging in rhetorical homicide, when you’re so busy engaging in rhetorical suicide?