Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice on various things

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 28, 2006 2:07:09 AM

Ok, Im hoping ill have enough for a conroe setup. Theres a list of things i could use some help with. 1st ill start with ram:

Whats would you say is better? Price under 200 if these 2 arent as good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

2nd: Motherboard

Ive considered this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Is their anything better in that price range? Or should i wait until next month when more Core2Duo boards are released? I prefer something with 2 PCI-e slots, but 1 will do fine.

3rd, a case/liquid cooling


I was hoping to get this case:

http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-pc3-725bk-case.html

But now, i realize its expensive. And its only a mid-tower case, I would prefer a full tower. Can anyone link me a good airflow/reliable case and/or a good liquid cooling system? I was looking at the Thermaltake big water setup, and that is a possibility for me. Really need to get my mind made up, so i know what price range i need to set for. I only need a case, motherboard, processor, ram, and a cooling system. Everything else will be swapped out of my other computer. Also, is this compatible with a conroe based motherboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Thats what ill be swapping out as My PSU.
I greatly appreciate anyone that can help me on this. Thanks. :D 

More about : advice things

July 28, 2006 3:51:01 AM

Come on I know you guys can help me, i really do need it.
July 28, 2006 4:30:11 AM

I would be glad to help you but there is important information missing in your post for anyone to provide effective help.

For instance, it would be very useful to know what your budget is, what is the amount you are comfortable spending, what amount you could reasonably stretch yourself to and lastly, the amount you don't want to exceed for *any* reason.

after that, what features are important to you. Is maximum speed the only consideration or are there others ? What will you be using the computer for ? games, rendering, modeling, simulation, etc, what's good advice for one of these goals could be poor for another.

Help us help you!
Related resources
July 28, 2006 6:06:48 AM

Quote:
Ok, Im hoping ill have enough for a conroe setup. Theres a list of things i could use some help with. 1st ill start with ram:

Whats would you say is better? Price under 200 if these 2 arent as good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

2nd: Motherboard

Ive considered this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Is their anything better in that price range? Or should i wait until next month when more Core2Duo boards are released? I prefer something with 2 PCI-e slots, but 1 will do fine.

3rd, a case/liquid cooling


I was hoping to get this case:

http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-pc3-725bk-case.html

But now, i realize its expensive. And its only a mid-tower case, I would prefer a full tower. Can anyone link me a good airflow/reliable case and/or a good liquid cooling system? I was looking at the Thermaltake big water setup, and that is a possibility for me. Really need to get my mind made up, so i know what price range i need to set for. I only need a case, motherboard, processor, ram, and a cooling system. Everything else will be swapped out of my other computer. Also, is this compatible with a conroe based motherboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Thats what ill be swapping out as My PSU.
I greatly appreciate anyone that can help me on this. Thanks. :D 
I would take the G.Skill RAM. DDR2-800 will be better than DDR2-667 especially at CAS4. The Gigabyte motherboard is a nice board. The Koolance case is nice, but ridiculously expensive, and you still have to buy a waterblock on top of the case/cooler. Even though TT Bigwater kits aren't considered that great, they should do nicely on a Conroe, as they aren't furnaces like P4's. I don't usually recommend cases as they are much more of a personal thing. I'm not overly impressed with that PSU. It seems to have 2 good strong 12v rails, but isn't super-efficient and doesn't have Active Power Factor Correction (PFC). Also, 680watts is overkill for that system. I would suggest this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

The 12v rails aren't as strong, but it is more efficient, and has PFC. Also, Antec are well made, and very popular for PSU's. And yes the Koolance case is compatable with the Conroe motherboard. GL :) 
July 28, 2006 2:19:31 PM

Budget is about 1000, and in reply to 1Tanker, the Powersupply is coming out of the computer i have now. Ok, ill mark that ram down as a good possibility.
July 28, 2006 11:08:35 PM

Quote:
Ok, Im hoping ill have enough for a conroe setup. Theres a list of things i could use some help with. 1st ill start with ram:

Whats would you say is better? Price under 200 if these 2 arent as good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

2nd: Motherboard

Ive considered this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Is their anything better in that price range? Or should i wait until next month when more Core2Duo boards are released? I prefer something with 2 PCI-e slots, but 1 will do fine.

3rd, a case/liquid cooling


I was hoping to get this case:

http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-pc3-725bk-case.html

But now, i realize its expensive. And its only a mid-tower case, I would prefer a full tower. Can anyone link me a good airflow/reliable case and/or a good liquid cooling system? I was looking at the Thermaltake big water setup, and that is a possibility for me. Really need to get my mind made up, so i know what price range i need to set for. I only need a case, motherboard, processor, ram, and a cooling system. Everything else will be swapped out of my other computer. Also, is this compatible with a conroe based motherboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Thats what ill be swapping out as My PSU.
I greatly appreciate anyone that can help me on this. Thanks. :D 
I would take the G.Skill RAM. DDR2-800 will be better than DDR2-667 especially at CAS4. The Gigabyte motherboard is a nice board. The Koolance case is nice, but ridiculously expensive, and you still have to buy a waterblock on top of the case/cooler. Even though TT Bigwater kits aren't considered that great, they should do nicely on a Conroe, as they aren't furnaces like P4's. I don't usually recommend cases as they are much more of a personal thing. I'm not overly impressed with that PSU. It seems to have 2 good strong 12v rails, but isn't super-efficient and doesn't have Active Power Factor Correction (PFC). Also, 680watts is overkill for that system. I would suggest this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

The 12v rails aren't as strong, but it is more efficient, and has PFC. Also, Antec are well made, and very popular for PSU's. And yes the Koolance case is compatable with the Conroe motherboard. GL :) 

i ordered the kit online today
July 28, 2006 11:53:41 PM

I suppose you are looking at a watercooled setup so you can overclock as much as possible.

Personally, I would cap the expense for a case to about $150. That would leave more money to purchase a better motherboard that is known to overclock very well.

For a motherboard, I'd pick

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

after that I'd pick the memory. Anandtech has a nice article showing how much the Conroes benefit from better/faster memory. Based on their tests, it seems that the sweet spot is DDRII-800. Going beyond that does not seem to be worth the premium.

It seems like your heart is set on watercooling (which is generally expensive). If you're willing to forego watercooling, the Tuniq Tower 120 does quite well, another good choice is the Scythe Mine which in addition to cooling extremely well, is quiet and reasonably priced.

Here is the link if you'd like to check it out

http://www.scytheusa.com/product/cpu/023/scmn1000_detai...

Newegg doesn't sell it but they sell other scythe models that people are very pleased with.

Memorywise, I would select the memory once I've decided for sure the motherboard I'm going with. If you decided to go with the one I suggested, Anandtech used it in its reviews of the Conroe and also used it specifically to test memory throughput when using Conroe.

This way you can make choices based on actual facts instead of just opinions.
July 29, 2006 4:18:13 AM

Alright looks good. Im probably going to go with this ram:



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...


And that scythe you pointed out, Is that for watercooling?

Ive taken 440bx's advice and decided to look at cases for 150 and under, i came up with these choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...


Im wanting a case with lots of room, good amount of dividers so i can place things in, and enough room for a water cooling system(still looking at Thermaltake Big water, any other good ones, please recommend) Appreciating the help so far guys. Now im starting to get a good perspective on what i want, but not a set one.
July 29, 2006 4:27:26 AM

Quote:
Alright looks good. Im probably going to go with this ram:



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...


And that scythe you pointed out, Is that for watercooling?

Ive taken 440bx's advice and decided to look at cases for 150 and under, i came up with these choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...


Im wanting a case with lots of room, good amount of dividers so i can place things in, and enough room for a water cooling system(still looking at Thermaltake Big water, any other good ones, please recommend) Appreciating the help so far guys. Now im starting to get a good perspective on what i want, but not a set one.
IIRC the Bigwater SE...i think, is designed to fit in the TT Shark case.
July 29, 2006 4:31:00 AM

Ok, thats pretty handy to know, Now im leaning towards the shark now. Nice case overall. Any other suggestions on anything would be great.
July 29, 2006 5:59:43 AM

Quote:
Ok, thats pretty handy to know, Now im leaning towards the shark now. Nice case overall. Any other suggestions on anything would be great.
Regarding the Accelero GPU coolers. I haven't heard of any problems or complaints about them ,and they seem well liked in reviews, as they help keep case temps down. Just remember that they are thick, and you loose an extra PCI slot with them.
July 29, 2006 7:50:01 AM

I think you made a good choice as far as memory goes (foregoing the fact that it is not ECC)

I always recommend ECC memory but I know I'm a bit more particular about memory than most. If you are not going to use the system to make money (that is, not used for work purposes) then I suppose non-ECC memory is a tolerable compromise. ECC memory is often not as overclockable as non-ECC.

The scythe is not for watercooling. It is just an excellent heatsink/fan combination. Street price is around $50.00 and cools a CPU better than many watercooled setups.

As far as a case goes, I can't recommend one. I haven't found a case yet that I can say I am fully pleased with. They all usually have one or more cons that I find annoying.
July 29, 2006 1:44:26 PM

Alright, Ill only be having 1 graphics card at the time when i start this build, so i should have space. Only thing thats going in the PCI slot is a soundcard. In regards to 440bx's post; The scythe does look like a nice piece of equipment, and i guess could save me the cost of a watercooling system overall. Thanks for the help guys, really liking these results :D 
!