duplicate name exists on network

Hi,

For Win2000 advanced SP3 server, one computer shared
directory named "sharedir". I want this computer have two
computer names. Both access to same directory, so that
when I access

\\OldName\sharedir
or
\\NewName\sharedir

In DNS -> Forward Lookup Zones --> DomainName --> add host
a) OldName(Physical Name of the server)
b) NewName(A new name)

Of course, OldName and NewName with same IP in DNS.

When I run "dir \\NewName\sharedir"

System error 52 has occurred.
A duplicate name exists on the network

What's happened ?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about duplicate exists network

    What happened is that you didn't know that under the covers a netbios handshake
    is occurring and it verifies the server name....

    You can override that behavior by setting DisableStrictNameChecking in the registry.

    Please see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281308

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    bella wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > For Win2000 advanced SP3 server, one computer shared
    > directory named "sharedir". I want this computer have two
    > computer names. Both access to same directory, so that
    > when I access
    >
    > \\OldName\sharedir
    > or
    > \\NewName\sharedir
    >

    > In DNS -> Forward Lookup Zones --> DomainName --> add host
    > a) OldName(Physical Name of the server)
    > b) NewName(A new name)
    >
    > Of course, OldName and NewName with same IP in DNS.
    >
    > When I run "dir \\NewName\sharedir"
    >
    > System error 52 has occurred.
    > A duplicate name exists on the network
    >
    > What's happened ?