VoodooPC Founder Takes Issue with HP's Envy "h8" PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]austinwillis81[/nom]Why is he mad about the name again, it's not like he is going to suffer from this.[/citation]

Read it slowly and phonetically: H-Eight = Hate, so it's the Envy Hate.

austinwillis81

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Read it slowly and phonetically: H-Eight = Hate, so it's the Envy Hate.[/citation]

I know but he isn't even employed with them anymore.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]austinwillis81[/nom]I know but he isn't even employed with them anymore.[/citation]

Yes, but he ran Voodoo for a very long time and Envy was one of Voodoo's lines. So he feels strongly about the work he put into making those lines for Voodoo something special. I think he has a little bit of reason to be perturbed with HP, especially after they basically demolished his baby (Voodoo PC) in the past year.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
The thing about the Chevrolet Nova is a bit of overblown nonsense. Yes, "no va" means "doesn't go" in Spanish. No, it didn't fail in Latin America because people in those countries thought the car didn't go because of the name.

And now there's some big stink because of the Envy H8? Is it out-of-whack with HP's normal numbering for their products or something? If I hadn't read this article, I never would have thought anything of it. Seems a silly thing to raise a fuss over.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Yes, but he ran Voodoo for a very long time and Envy was one of Voodoo's lines. So he feels strongly about the work he put into making those lines for Voodoo something special. I think he has a little bit of reason to be perturbed with HP, especially after they basically demolished his baby (Voodoo PC) in the past year.[/citation]

Maybe he shouldnt have sold his baby then, if he was attached to it. Maybe he shouldn't have left the company and left his baby in the care of others. Leaving it with HP is like dropping your baby off at a crackhouse. Clearly he regrets leaving and he's just nitpicking a product which is NO LONGER his product.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]The thing about the Chevrolet Nova is a bit of overblown nonsense. Yes, "no va" means "doesn't go" in Spanish. No, it didn't fail in Latin America because people in those countries thought the car didn't go because of the name.And now there's some big stink because of the Envy H8? Is it out-of-whack with HP's normal numbering for their products or something? If I hadn't read this article, I never would have thought anything of it. Seems a silly thing to raise a fuss over.[/citation]
Actually that IS the reason it failed...

G

Sorry Sood, but you sold the company. You pretty much lost the ability to complain about "culture" and "community" the second you cashed out.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]austinwillis81[/nom]Why is he mad about the name again, it's not like he is going to suffer from this.[/citation]

I think your missing the point... He founded the company that first developed the "Envy" brand that HP is trying harder to butcher than the touchpad. There is a sentimental connection to the brand.

OTH, he sold out to HP, got paid, left to get paid more, and now he gets what he deserves. If he cared that much about it, maybe he should have stuck with his "measly" 7 figure salary and made the brand work for HP.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Actually that IS the reason it failed...[/citation]

It's a total myth. The car sold well. Nova does not mean "doesn't go" in Spanish. No va which is two words, not one, means doesn't go and is pronounced differently with the accent on the second word, where as Nova has the accent on the first syllable. No Spanish speaking person would confuse the two.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
It is unlikely that this is a deliberate move to make sure Voodoo's Envy will die, but we could file this one under brand blunders, right next to Mitsubishi Pajero and Chevrolet Nova.

Just 2 brand blunders in spanish... seen some time ago other spanish expressions...
It's just time for an spanish TomsHardware ?

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
It doesn't have a chance for good sales, and that's not because of the name. With these specs and no good upgrade to something proper for gaming, I mean videocard, probably due to some s**ty marketing considerations like pushing users to buy more expensive lines, what the good processor and RAM etc. can do for an average customer? Playing video, browsing the web... things these days you may also do on a tablet + with a tablet there is the mobility,ability to carry everywhere with you and not last - fashion + an even good tablet comes cheaper /well, it doesn't have an i5 and 6GB of RAM, but who actually cares?/. So, it's not good for gaming, not good for anything an average customer may want to do and it is not good for professionals like content creators, and even in office environment lately people like to use their personal devices more, so, I am asking myself - who it is made for?

myardor

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
It's a total myth. The car sold well. Nova does not mean "doesn't go" in Spanish. No va which is two words, not one, means doesn't go and is pronounced differently with the accent on the second word, where as Nova has the accent on the first syllable. No Spanish speaking person would confuse the two.4

I am Hispanic and yes I would confuse the two
Guess you are not Spanish speaking person , you just think you speak it
Que vato loco del coco.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
HP's spineless managers are mainly rewarded for not taking any risks and for saving money instead of expanding markets. HP has also killed just about every business it acquired by external growth. Buy a company, suck it dry then dump it, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.