Andy225

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Hey guys I need some help here...

My buddies computer will not boot at all and I have no idea why. His power supply which I first assumed to not be working, works. His intel motherboard has a green light that lights up when we plug in the powersupply, but nothing happens when we try to power it up. All the plugs are connected correctly, it just randomly stopped working yesterday and won't boot. I tried switching the reset switch and the power switch wires to see if it was just his power button that was busted but no sign of anything with either hooked up.

What possibilities are left? cmos battery? Fried components?

-thanks

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Do you get any post beeps?? Do you get a Post beep at all? If the board doesn’t POST and assuming everything else is connected and working it’s prolly the motherboard.

I would first disconnect everything and clean the connections and then reconnect everything.

O and a word on Power supplies. I had a high end/highly rated FSP power supply that killed two mobos, in much the same way that your post describes. I would run the system just normal, then one day... nothing, no post, no blinking lights, just the blank sound of fans running.

If he has the money, replace the PSU along with the Mobo if it is in fact dead.

Good Luck.

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
so when you press the power button, nothing?? No beeps as you say, but no fans turning (CPU, NB, Case fans), even for a second? Any LEDs?

If nothing is coming on then I'd say PSU. If the fans turn but nothing else happens then I'd say it's the motherboard. But it's hard to make a good guess over the internet.

dthomason119

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I had a similar problem, which turned out to be my motherboard was the issue. If you have a replacement to test it with, I would do that. You can also try to reset the CMOS for kicks and giggles. Good luck!

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Still could be the PSU. I've seen a case where the PSU could power fans but couldn't supply the right amount of power to power the computer. Fans take nothing to run.

I'd try a different PSU first. You can take out a working one from a working computer and try that. If the issue still persists, probably mboard.

The only way I'd discount a PSU from being the cause of all problems in the world is that if you checked it w/ a PSU tester.

Andy225

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
yes there is nothing at all when i press the power button

randomly out of no where, everything has been running fine for quite sometime

NOTHING at ALL happens when I push power button....

the PSU is fine i hooked it up to my computer no problem, i hooked 2 OTHER power supplys to this computer and guess what still NOTHING at all from the power button.

So I read reviews about the case and saw that some people had problems with the power button not working so I switched the wires and hooked up the reset one as a power button, and still NOTHING with any of the power supplies that i am 100% work.

The only assumption that I can make is that it is the motherboard that has failed, or the cpu. Would I be correct with this assumption?

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Andy,

This will sound a bit strange to you at first but read the entire message.

To find out if your buddy's computer has a bad motherboard, remove all the PCI cards, remove the video card and disconnect all the peripherals (hard drives, optical drives, floppies, etc)

last, *remove* all the memory!

All that should be left connected to the motherboard is the power supply, power switch, reset switch, speaker, keyboard and mouse.

Turn the computer on.

If you hear beeps, the motherboard is likely good.

If you don't hear a single beep, the motherboard is almost certainly dead.

Why ? just about all motherboards will beep protesting that the memory is missing. The only ones that won't beep when the memory is missing are the dead ones. This is why it is important to keep the speaker connected (in those boards that still depend on an external speaker).

Hope that helps.

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Andy,

This will sound a bit strange to you at first but read the entire message.

To find out if your buddy's computer has a bad motherboard, remove all the PCI cards, remove the video card and disconnect all the peripherals (hard drives, optical drives, floppies, etc)

last, *remove* all the memory!

All that should be left connected to the motherboard is the power supply, power switch, reset switch, speaker, keyboard and mouse.

Turn the computer on.

If you hear beeps, the motherboard is likely good.

If you don't hear a single beep, the motherboard is almost certainly dead.

Why ? just about all motherboards will beep protesting that the memory is missing. The only ones that won't beep when the memory is missing are the dead ones. This is why it is important to keep the speaker connected (in those boards that still depend on an external speaker).

Hope that helps.

Very good advice, but his system doesnt even respond with the power button pressed.

Try disconnecting the case switches, then get yourself a flathead and try to 'jump' the motherboard headers for pwr switch. That will remove the case as the possible problem.

O and start looking into getting a new mobo...

TRENDING THREADS