Canon IP4000 Disc Printing Problem

The quality of printing to discs used to be great, but it is now awful -
with blacks barely printing out. Printing to a different brand of printable
disc, did not make a different. However, printing the exact same image to
paper produces colourful, detailed results as I would expect. Even though
the problem is unlikely linked with the ink cartridges, I've replaced them
anyway, without success. I've also ran a basic clean, a deep clean and a
cleaning of the bottom plate, again without resolving the issue. Does anyone
have any ideas?
17 answers Last reply
More about canon ip4000 disc printing problem

    what about the CD disc itself are they the ' white writeable' types, a
    stupid question I know?

    If the blacks are awful then its either the disc or as measekite say's
    to do with the media setting or an ink issue..

    Are all the writeable disc OK or are the certain types not to use for
    the pixmas?

    davy

    Pendragon wrote:

    >The quality of printing to discs used to be great, but it is now awful -
    >with blacks barely printing out. Printing to a different brand of printable
    >disc, did not make a different. However, printing the exact same image to
    >paper produces colourful, detailed results as I would expect. Even though
    >the problem is unlikely linked with the ink cartridges, I've replaced them
    >anyway, without success. I've also ran a basic clean, a deep clean and a
    >cleaning of the bottom plate, again without resolving the issue. Does anyone
    >have any ideas?

    Are you using Canon OEM ink. Do you have the driver set for the correct
    media?

    :
    :
    : Pendragon wrote:
    :
    : >The quality of printing to discs used to be great, but it is now awful -
    : >with blacks barely printing out. Printing to a different brand of
    printable
    : >disc, did not make a different. However, printing the exact same image to
    : >paper produces colourful, detailed results as I would expect. Even though
    : >the problem is unlikely linked with the ink cartridges, I've replaced
    them
    : >anyway, without success. I've also ran a basic clean, a deep clean and a
    : >cleaning of the bottom plate, again without resolving the issue. Does
    anyone
    : >have any ideas?
    : >
    : >
    :
    : Are you using Canon OEM ink. Do you have the driver set for the correct
    : media?

    I'm not using Canon OEM ink, but I haven't done for many many months and it
    has been fine - as I said, printing out the exact same image to paper
    produces colourful, detailed results. It's unlikely to be a driver issue -
    the problem started occuring about a week ago and I've not made any changes
    to it.

    "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    : what about the CD disc itself are they the ' white writeable' types, a
    : stupid question I know?
    :
    : If the blacks are awful then its either the disc or as measekite say's
    : to do with the media setting or an ink issue..
    :
    : Are all the writeable disc OK or are the certain types not to use for
    : the pixmas?
    :
    : davy

    Yes, the discs I'm using are the white printable discs. I've printed to
    hundreds of white printables since I purchased this printer about 6 months
    ago. The discs I'm printing to are Ritek printable discs, which I've used
    before without any problems.

    Ben wrote:
    > "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> what about the CD disc itself are they the ' white writeable' types,
    >> a stupid question I know?
    >>
    >> If the blacks are awful then its either the disc or as measekite
    >> say's to do with the media setting or an ink issue..
    >>
    >> Are all the writeable disc OK or are the certain types not to use for
    >> the pixmas?
    >>
    >> davy
    >
    > Yes, the discs I'm using are the white printable discs. I've printed
    > to hundreds of white printables since I purchased this printer about
    > 6 months ago. The discs I'm printing to are Ritek printable discs,
    > which I've used before without any problems.

    Maybe a stupid question...but when refilling, did you exchange two blacks by
    mistake? BCI6 and BCI3 are not the same ink...BCI3 is pigmented while BCI6
    is dye.

    How do you print a disk. There is no selection for it under media type. Am i
    not understanding something.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==

    Andy Petro wrote:

    > How do you print a disk. There is no selection for it under media type. Am i
    > not understanding something.

    Quite so. By your email address you're in Canada. Our North American
    Canon iP4000 or iP5000 cannot print on CDs/DVDs. This feature is only
    available in more privileged parts of the globe. People elsewhere are
    also paying considerably more than us, I believe, for that luxury. The
    mechanism isn't installed on our units, although you can see where it
    was supposed to be. I get by with my nice glossy labels from Meritline
    that I slap on, but only on the CDs. I understand many recommend not
    putting them on DVDs.

    -Taliesyn

    Taliesyn wrote:
    > Andy Petro wrote:
    >
    >> How do you print a disk. There is no selection for it under media
    >> type. Am i not understanding something.
    >

    > Quite so. By your email address you're in Canada. Our North American
    > Canon iP4000 or iP5000 cannot print on CDs/DVDs. This feature is only
    > available in more privileged parts of the globe. People elsewhere are
    > also paying considerably more than us, I believe, for that luxury. The
    > mechanism isn't installed on our units, although you can see where it
    > was supposed to be. I get by with my nice glossy labels from Meritline
    > that I slap on, but only on the CDs. I understand many recommend not
    > putting them on DVDs.

    Just curious, why do they recommend not placing labels on DVD's?

    Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

    > Taliesyn wrote:
    >
    >> Andy Petro wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do you print a disk. There is no selection for it under media
    >>> type. Am i not understanding something.
    >>

    >> Quite so. By your email address you're in Canada. Our North American
    >> Canon iP4000 or iP5000 cannot print on CDs/DVDs. This feature is only
    >> available in more privileged parts of the globe. People elsewhere are
    >> also paying considerably more than us, I believe, for that luxury. The
    >> mechanism isn't installed on our units, although you can see where it
    >> was supposed to be. I get by with my nice glossy labels from Meritline
    >> that I slap on, but only on the CDs. I understand many recommend not
    >> putting them on DVDs.
    >

    > Just curious, why do they recommend not placing labels on DVD's?

    I haven't done deep research, just a couple of recommendations I read a
    while ago. I believe it's because DVD players generate a lot more heat
    and the discs spin a lot faster. Some claim that if the label isn't
    properly balanced (not centered) it can wobble and damage the unit or
    simply play badly. I suppose if the label detaches, for one reason or
    another, it will cause problems for the player spinning at such a high
    rate. As such, for the time being I'm not attaching labels to DVDs. I'm
    mostly burning data DVDs any way, so I don't need a "pretty label." A
    nice DVD liner on the box will suffice for me. I save the pretty labels
    for my music CDs :-).

    -Taliesyn

    >> -Taliesyn
    >>

    >>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==
    >>>

    >>> "Ben" <Ben@Dover.com> wrote in message

    Have you seen this very long thread on Steve's Digicams forums?
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=40 It describes how to
    modify North American models to print cd's. I haven't been following it for
    some time, but it looks like some users have had success.

    Ron

    "Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Andy Petro wrote:
    >
    >> How do you print a disk. There is no selection for it under media type.
    >> Am i not understanding something.
    >
    > Quite so. By your email address you're in Canada. Our North American
    > Canon iP4000 or iP5000 cannot print on CDs/DVDs. This feature is only
    > available in more privileged parts of the globe. People elsewhere are
    > also paying considerably more than us, I believe, for that luxury. The
    > mechanism isn't installed on our units, although you can see where it
    > was supposed to be. I get by with my nice glossy labels from Meritline
    > that I slap on, but only on the CDs. I understand many recommend not
    > putting them on DVDs.
    >
    > -Taliesyn
    >

    >> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==
    >>

    >> "Ben" <Ben@Dover.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >>>: what about the CD disc itself are they the ' white writeable' types, a
    >>>: stupid question I know?
    >>>:
    >>>: If the blacks are awful then its either the disc or as measekite say's
    >>>: to do with the media setting or an ink issue..
    >>>:
    >>>: Are all the writeable disc OK or are the certain types not to use for
    >>>: the pixmas?
    >>>:
    >>>: davy
    >>>
    >>>Yes, the discs I'm using are the white printable discs. I've printed to
    >>>hundreds of white printables since I purchased this printer about 6
    >>>months
    >>>ago. The discs I'm printing to are Ritek printable discs, which I've used
    >>>before without any problems.

    > It describes how to modify North American models to print cd's. I haven't been
    > following it for some time, but it looks like some users have had success.

    That thread is most disorganized, but using it as a reference it took
    me 4hours from getting my printer to printing on CDs. My bigest issue
    is the .jpg diagram in that thread listing the reflector location was
    dead wrong, that likely accounted for a couple of hours. I altered the
    image based on where I think the reflectors should be.

    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&page=21

    Now my locations may not be 100% accurate, my end result is off center
    by 1.7mm right and .4mm down. But given I cut my epson tray to fit
    with a dremmel, and I used masking tape and spray paint. But unlike
    origional diagram, mine is at least close, about as close as my epson
    tray was in the epson it came with.

    But expect people to start selling the offical trays on e-bay in the
    future. From my understanding they only cost a few bucks, north
    americans are willing to spend $20 to $30.

    Taliesyn wrote:
    > Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
    >
    >> Taliesyn wrote:

    >>> Quite so. By your email address you're in Canada. Our North American
    >>> Canon iP4000 or iP5000 cannot print on CDs/DVDs. This feature is only
    >>> available in more privileged parts of the globe. People elsewhere are
    >>> also paying considerably more than us, I believe, for that luxury. The
    >>> mechanism isn't installed on our units, although you can see where it
    >>> was supposed to be. I get by with my nice glossy labels from Meritline
    >>> that I slap on, but only on the CDs. I understand many recommend not
    >>> putting them on DVDs.
    >>

    >> Just curious, why do they recommend not placing labels on DVD's?
    >>

    > I haven't done deep research, just a couple of recommendations I read a
    > while ago. I believe it's because DVD players generate a lot more heat
    > and the discs spin a lot faster. Some claim that if the label isn't
    > properly balanced (not centered) it can wobble and damage the unit or
    > simply play badly. I suppose if the label detaches, for one reason or
    > another, it will cause problems for the player spinning at such a high
    > rate. As such, for the time being I'm not attaching labels to DVDs. I'm
    > mostly burning data DVDs any way, so I don't need a "pretty label." A
    > nice DVD liner on the box will suffice for me. I save the pretty labels
    > for my music CDs :-).

    I thought that maybe the adhesive would degrade the media coating on the
    DVD. I just ordered some CD/DVD labels off ebay to try. The good thing
    is that if I trash a DVD recorder from a flying label the cost of a
    replacement drive won't break the bank. Also, it should help that DVD
    players don't spin the disc as fast as an internal player/recorder drive
    in a computer.

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    : Ben wrote:
    : > "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    : > news:4297841d$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
    : >> what about the CD disc itself are they the ' white writeable' types,
    : >> a stupid question I know?
    : >>
[...]

    You're right in saying that there are two different black cartridges -
    they're of completely different size, with one being much fatter in width
    than the other. As such, there is no way the fatter one could be fitted
    accidentally.

    Getting to a point where I'm grabbing a straws, I tried a basic Clean and a
    Deep Clean, but this time with the CD tray down. Why this would have made
    any difference, I don't know, but it appears to be printing almost perfectly
    again.

    Thanks for your assistance folks.

    "Michael Johnson, PE" <nospam@ourhouse.com> wrote in message
    [..]
    > Just curious, why do they recommend not placing labels on DVD's?

    There's a number of reasons, the often quoted ones being off-centre labels
    causing wobble, labels pealing off and sticking in the drive. Using decent
    labels and either good eyesight or a label-applicator those problems can be
    avoided.

    What can't be avoided so easily is the adhesive damaging the surface of the
    disc. On a CD the data surface is right on the rear side of the plastic
    disc - cheap CD's don't have anything covering that surface, that silver
    surface is actually the back of the reflective coating over the layer the
    data is burnt to. The glue used in labels can either cause that layer to
    oxidise or physically lift the layer away from the data layer (normally
    taking about 6 months to a year), either of which make the CD unreadable.

    Using CD's with an extra protective layer over the silver (like the white
    'printabable' discs) avoids most of that problem.

    DVD's are built differently - the data layer is sandwiched between two
    thinner plastic disc, and as such label adhesive won't affect the data
    surface, but there's still the problem of off-centre and pealing to contend
    with...

    Ivor Floppy wrote:
    > "Michael Johnson, PE" <nospam@ourhouse.com> wrote in message
    > [..]
    >
    >>Just curious, why do they recommend not placing labels on DVD's?
    >

    > There's a number of reasons, the often quoted ones being off-centre labels
    > causing wobble, labels pealing off and sticking in the drive. Using decent
    > labels and either good eyesight or a label-applicator those problems can be
    > avoided.
    >
    > What can't be avoided so easily is the adhesive damaging the surface of the
    > disc. On a CD the data surface is right on the rear side of the plastic
    > disc - cheap CD's don't have anything covering that surface, that silver
    > surface is actually the back of the reflective coating over the layer the
    > data is burnt to. The glue used in labels can either cause that layer to
    > oxidise or physically lift the layer away from the data layer (normally
    > taking about 6 months to a year), either of which make the CD unreadable.
    >
    > Using CD's with an extra protective layer over the silver (like the white
    > 'printabable' discs) avoids most of that problem.
    >
    > DVD's are built differently - the data layer is sandwiched between two
    > thinner plastic disc, and as such label adhesive won't affect the data
    > surface, but there's still the problem of off-centre and pealing to contend
    > with...

    Sounds like if care is taken when applying the label to keep it centered
    it should work fine on DVD's. Thanks for the info.

    I have had no problems with www.surething.com

    Ben wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >> Ben wrote:
    >>> "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    >>> message news:4297841d$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...

    >>> Yes, the discs I'm using are the white printable discs. I've printed
    >>> to hundreds of white printables since I purchased this printer about
    >>> 6 months ago. The discs I'm printing to are Ritek printable discs,
    >>> which I've used before without any problems.
    >>
    >> Maybe a stupid question...but when refilling, did you exchange two
    >> blacks by mistake? BCI6 and BCI3 are not the same ink...BCI3 is
    >> pigmented while BCI6 is dye.
    >
    > You're right in saying that there are two different black cartridges -
    > they're of completely different size, with one being much fatter in
    > width than the other. As such, there is no way the fatter one could
    > be fitted accidentally.
    >
    > Getting to a point where I'm grabbing a straws, I tried a basic Clean
    > and a Deep Clean, but this time with the CD tray down. Why this would
    > have made any difference, I don't know, but it appears to be printing
    > almost perfectly again.
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance folks.

    I thought you said you rerfilled your carts, that's why i asked about mixing
    inks...sorry...

    But, i just thought...i usually remove whole head and clean it every now and
    then. I did same with my old i550, since i noticed that head gets dirty at
    the bottom no matter if you run cleaning, so it can leave smudges.

Printers Canon Peripherals