Sign in with
Your question

Shuttle XPC SN27P2: A Mini-PC for Athlon AM2 Processors

Last response: in Memory
July 28, 2006 11:32:21 AM

It didn\'t take long at all for Shuttle to deliver the first barebone mini-PC for AMD\'s new AM2 socket processors. Come along as THG gives you all the details.

Speak out in the Toms's Hardware reader survey!
July 28, 2006 2:00:47 PM

Looks a bit cramped, low price, neet looking case though. However a nForce 570 board ? not for me.

Just a note, on the last page where it says motherboard, down in the Southbridge colum it says Nein ? I read german well enough I think, but is that supposed to be english ?
July 28, 2006 3:24:45 PM

I found several inconsistancies:
On several occasions does it read 4 dimm sockets = 4 Gb ram, which was true with ddrX00, but with ddr 2 around one dimm socket =2 Gb ram. I guess that some 32-bit OS's still can't use more than 4 GB, but the hardware will correctly handle all 8 GB. It's correctly listed in the specs at the end of the article.

In the specs at the end it list the socket as 940, shouldn't it be AM2?

As Yyrkoon already noticed, there is 'Nein' in the southbridge column...

Best regards
andrnils
Related resources
July 28, 2006 4:45:52 PM

There are three different chipsets mentioned, which one does it have?

You mention nForce 4, then nForce 570 Ultra, then in the CPU-Z Picture it has nForce 550?!?!

Looks good, otherwise.

Socket 940 might confuse people, but it does have 940 pins.

~Ibrahim~
July 28, 2006 6:16:06 PM

I would be very interested to know why it says he has 8 posts, but clearly he has many more than 8.

Maybe it's the closest thing to the infinity symbol THG could find...
July 28, 2006 10:49:59 PM

Why did the review use 533 MHZ memory instead of 667 or 800? Does this effect the RAM temperature in any way? It seems a fast AM2 5000+ processor should be paired with equally fast memory.
July 29, 2006 12:21:14 AM

I missed that: Why 533Mhz?

~Ibrahim~
July 29, 2006 3:53:27 AM

Quote:
Why did the review use 533 MHZ memory instead of 667 or 800? Does this effect the RAM temperature in any way? It seems a fast AM2 5000+ processor should be paired with equally fast memory.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 5000+ run 800MHz only at 733 or 766? Something about odd CPU speeds (not 2.0, 2.4, 2.8)?

And I think the "nein" was missed by the editor or whoever. I mean, isn't THG primarily in Germany?

Still, this barebones is something I will look at because I really don't need a full or mid tower. But is that power supply big enough for a 7950 GX2?
July 29, 2006 4:42:00 AM

Quote:

Still, this barebones is something I will look at because I really don't need a full or mid tower. But is that power supply big enough for a 7950 GX2?

Well, just going by its wattage, I'd have to say no, but otherwise you'll have to get a technical 'brief' on the PSU, which may be hard to find. Newegg stocks this barebones system, and usually when they list such with a PSU, they take a photo of the PSU sticker, but in this case they didnt . . . According to one of the reviewers on newegg.com though, it does handle a 7900GT (If I recall correctly).

[EDIT]

As kind of a second thought, perhaps you could build your own Mini ATX system ? I do alot of looking around for small (ish) parts for compact systems, and if I recall correctly, shuttle sells bare cases, as well as many other companies. The hard part would be finding a powerfull enough PSU, that will fit the case, and remain unobtrusive enough to give you plenty of room, which can be a chore, but IS possible.
July 29, 2006 5:13:46 AM

Quote:

Well, just going by its wattage, I'd have to say no, but otherwise you'll have to get a technical 'brief' on the PSU, which may be hard to find. Newegg stocks this barebones system, and usually when they list such with a PSU, they take a photo of the PSU sticker, but in this case they didnt . . . According to one of the reviewers on newegg.com though, it does handle a 7900GT (If I recall correctly).

[EDIT]

As kind of a second thought, perhaps you could build your own Mini ATX system ? I do alot of looking around for small (ish) parts for compact systems, and if I recall correctly, shuttle sells bare cases, as well as many other companies. The hard part would be finding a powerfull enough PSU, that will fit the case, and remain unobtrusive enough to give you plenty of room, which can be a chore, but IS possible.

Here is the link for the compatibility parts for it:

http://global.shuttle.com/Support/SupportList.asp?Item=SN27P2&ver=SN27P2%20(FN27V1.x

According to it, no 800MHz RAM was tested and the video cards had nothing higher than 256MB RAM installed. I was planning on stealing her 7800 GTX 512 and give her a DX10 card when they came out, but now not too sure it would work (size-wise).

I'd like to build a SFF, but you're right- finding everything is a chore. And not too sure I want only 1 PCI slot in my machine.

I've seen one kick-ass case, a FrozenCPE HyperCube, but at over $400 plus options, it be a little much for even me. I will probably just go with a ThermaltakeArmour Jr. MaximumPC recently reviewed those cases and a few others this past month.

Or I could stick with my aging Antec Super LANBoy...ugh.
July 29, 2006 5:32:47 AM

Yeah, this is often the case with small computer cases (trying to find room for everything), and I dont know if you're up to it, you COULD, either mod said existing case, or make your own from scratch. I'm not sure if you're familiar with case modding / building, but if your the least mechanicly inclined, its usually no where near as difficult as it sounds, and can be quite rewarding. *shrug*

If you're interrested, I could give you a link or two concerning modding, and you can make up your own mind (IF you're not already familiar with case modding, and have the time to do so).
July 29, 2006 5:38:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah, this is often the case with small computer cases (trying to find room for everything), and I dont know if you're up to it, you COULD, either mod said existing case, or make your own from scratch. I'm not sure if you're familiar with case modding / building, but if your the least mechanicly inclined, its usually no where near as difficult as it sounds, and can be quite rewarding. *shrug*

If you're interrested, I could give you a link or two concerning modding, and you can make up your own mind (IF you're not already familiar with case modding, and have the time to do so).

Yeah, the only mod to a case I have ever done was to use 2 stacks of 3 VHS tapes to elevate the Antec case high enough to run a bunch of cables under it! I did build my own water-cooling system once, but we don't talk about that around here. (insert gratuitous LOL here).

Send over those links, it's also good to have more info on this. Here is one:

http://alan-parekh.com/hard_drive_clock.html

Word.
July 29, 2006 5:56:33 AM

One is Mashies site which is http://www.mashie.org This guy turned an old Mini ITX case into a file server, and did some heavey modifications to the front of it. Read his other posts, look on the forums, there is anotehr guy, cant think of his user name 'unknownbum' I think, who links to his mod page, and he has built alot of simular projects, and a few where hes nearly built his own cases from scratch. His site has very good photo documentation.
July 29, 2006 4:01:24 PM

Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 5000+ run 800MHz only at 733 or 766? Something about odd CPU speeds (not 2.0, 2.4, 2.8)?

The 5000+ runs at 2.6Ghz and you are using DDR2 800 run at 400Mhz. FSB is set at 200Mhz with a multiplier of 13x. FSB:D RAM ratio would be set at a very common ratio of 1:2. I believe that ratio is in effect for all AM2 machines running DDR2-800.

If you are looking for a SFF case, forget QPack, forget Shuttle, Ultra's Microfly is for you. You can fit a full-size ATX PSU and a medium length drive in with ease. Microfly fixes whatever QPack did wrong, but it is more gamer-oriented than any Shuttle.

~Ibrahim~
August 5, 2006 1:11:05 PM

hi,

i am looking at a sn27p2 system. what do you think of :

cpu : am2 x2 4600+ ee
ram : g.skill pc6400 hz (4-4-4-12)
system disk : wd raptor 150 go
data disk : seagate 7200.10 320 go
graphics card : xfx geforce 7900 gt xt + zalman vf-900cu
burner : plextor px-750a

someone mentioned the heat generated as a possible issue. i also had a look at shuttle's official compatability list - it seems that they test little. does anyone have an experience with compatability issues ?

thanks for you help and comments,

scott
August 5, 2006 1:21:56 PM

It looks good, heat will be somewhat high, liveable, though.

~Ibrahim~
August 7, 2006 5:10:02 PM

because it a shuttle heat and noise is a big issue to a a AM2 athlon in there it across in both boxes.

now that intles c2d has come out i would reccomed buying a cheap intle Pentium M, and uses it with a mina ATX 945i motherboard this it because this is what the old core duo uses and thats fully upgardeabe to the next c2d mobile (memron) so you would currently have a cheap cool and quite system thats fully upgradeable to c2d memron.
!