Re-Install of XP Pro how to stop setup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

First off I had some corrupt files that windows kept saying to insert windows
xp cd. I did that and it asked to click retry and it brought up the welcome
screen. I then clicked to install windows xp thinking it would recreate the
files that became corrupt. Now each time I restart the computer it goes into
Startup and with the cd in it gives me the error of "Fatal error: An erro
has been encountered that prevents setup from continuning." It then has
press Ok to view the setup log file. I researched this and it says this
could be caused by a scratched cd. Is there anyway to get out of this screen
and back to windows? Also if I finish this reinstall will it remove files
that are on the computer? Please help
3 answers Last reply
More about install stop setup
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    you are facing this problem because your computer does have a problem with
    the CPU hardware, RAM OR NETWORK CARD. please check it.. to delete the files
    from hard disk use format command from DOS prompt. use windows startup disk
    to format the hard disk. if you reinstall windows xp it can also remove the
    earlier installed files at the end of the xp setup program. it will remove
    all the temp. files from your hard disk.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Any other way to do this. I don't want to lose all the info on this
    computer. It is my bosses and their are some important company files. He
    probaly didn't backup.

    "Sony Payyappilly" wrote:

    > you are facing this problem because your computer does have a problem with
    > the CPU hardware, RAM OR NETWORK CARD. please check it.. to delete the files
    > from hard disk use format command from DOS prompt. use windows startup disk
    > to format the hard disk. if you reinstall windows xp it can also remove the
    > earlier installed files at the end of the xp setup program. it will remove
    > all the temp. files from your hard disk.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Sir,

    After running the win xp setup the boot.ini file is modified. please go to
    DOS prompt type c:\>edit boot.ini,

    now change the lines like this

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1\WINDOWS="Windows Xp Professional"
    /fastdetect

    now go to file menu and save the file. you are able to login to your user
    session now. try it. after login please run chkdsk command or scandisk in
    system tools.

    Regards

    Sony Payyappilly

    **********************

    now your boot file is restored
    "crow919" wrote:

    > First off I had some corrupt files that windows kept saying to insert windows
    > xp cd. I did that and it asked to click retry and it brought up the welcome
    > screen. I then clicked to install windows xp thinking it would recreate the
    > files that became corrupt. Now each time I restart the computer it goes into
    > Startup and with the cd in it gives me the error of "Fatal error: An erro
    > has been encountered that prevents setup from continuning." It then has
    > press Ok to view the setup log file. I researched this and it says this
    > could be caused by a scratched cd. Is there anyway to get out of this screen
    > and back to windows? Also if I finish this reinstall will it remove files
    > that are on the computer? Please help

Microsoft Windows XP