Sign in with
Your question

Another Guy Needing Upgrade Help

Last response: in Systems
July 28, 2006 2:05:43 PM

Ok so I need help. I have some basic ideas of what I want and would appreciate honest advice from you guys on what my upgrade should be. Im a casual gamer, but it's more for audio/video processing.

So centrally I'm looking to buy the Intel 805 for 7£0.44 at Overclockers UK. However this is only because of the overclocking potential i've heard of. I'm only gonna clock it to around the 3.5GHz mark, so it's only gonna use aircooling. I don't want the hassle of watercooling really and i can deal with the noise difference. However I don't know what motherboard to buy with it, so some advice on that particular aspect would be useful. In addition I've heard a couple of bad things about it so I'm willing to change it for something else.

Ok other parts in general.

OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC5400 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series EL-DDR2 at Overclockers
£70.44

Seasonic 500W Overclockers £76.32

BFG GeForce 7300 GS Overclockers £49.29 I've been told this rates about the same as the 6600 which is what I have right now, and I can't afford to upgrade this yet so I'm happy to stick with this at where it is.

I have hard-disks and optical drives so these are not needed as extra purchases. Finally on the case i'm a massive comic book geek so the Jeantech Venim case or the Sansun Batman Case would be very cool but on the other hand if I get the 805 and overclock it I don't know if they would provide sufficient cooling, so it's kinda open right now.

Final note is that the system needs to come in at around the 400 to 450 mark. With everything I've listed plus a estimate at one of the two cases I want it comes in at 325ish.

More about : guy needing upgrade

July 28, 2006 4:37:11 PM

Quote:
Ok so I need help. I have some basic ideas of what I want and would appreciate honest advice from you guys on what my upgrade should be. Im a casual gamer, but it's more for audio/video processing.

So centrally I'm looking to buy the Intel 805 for 7£0.44 at Overclockers UK. However this is only because of the overclocking potential i've heard of. I'm only gonna clock it to around the 3.5GHz mark, so it's only gonna use aircooling. I don't want the hassle of watercooling really and i can deal with the noise difference. However I don't know what motherboard to buy with it, so some advice on that particular aspect would be useful. In addition I've heard a couple of bad things about it so I'm willing to change it for something else.

Ok other parts in general.

OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC5400 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series EL-DDR2 at Overclockers
£70.44

Seasonic 500W Overclockers £76.32

BFG GeForce 7300 GS Overclockers £49.29 I've been told this rates about the same as the 6600 which is what I have right now, and I can't afford to upgrade this yet so I'm happy to stick with this at where it is.

I have hard-disks and optical drives so these are not needed as extra purchases. Finally on the case i'm a massive comic book geek so the Jeantech Venim case or the Sansun Batman Case would be very cool but on the other hand if I get the 805 and overclock it I don't know if they would provide sufficient cooling, so it's kinda open right now.

Final note is that the system needs to come in at around the 400 to 450 mark. With everything I've listed plus a estimate at one of the two cases I want it comes in at 325ish.

Read many of the other posts here, and you will find a majority opinion is formed: Do not build a system based on an 805! They suck, really. Get the D915 or D930 instead, for just a little more much, which overclock just as well, but don't start out wit ha crippled 533FSB and half the cache
July 28, 2006 9:26:01 PM

Yeah that's mostly what I'd read. Thanks man.

Ok So getting the D930, any mobo advice?
!