DNS and domain problem

Hi there,

I am trying to set up a number of computers under a Windows 2000 AS domain
controller. Unfortunately, I appear to be having quite severe problems with
the DNS.

The internet connection for the domain comes into a router, which then
enters the network switch. The name of the domain is ABC.COM and only
resolves locally.

However, it would appear that I can have either internet access or
network/filesharing access depending on whose DNS servers I use. If I use
those of my ISP, the internet functions, but I cannot access the local
network. Using 192.168.0.1 (the domain controller) works the other way
around. If i were to register ABC.COM with internic and point it to the
domain controller, would using my ISP's DNS servers then provide network
access aswell (I would presume ABC.COM would resolve to the domain
controller, and the network would then access it using the LAN as opposed to
WAN?)

Please could you confirm that my theory is correct, and perhaps
explain/point me in the direction of any help or a tutorial

Kind Regards,
Oli
3 answers Last reply
More about domain problem

    You should configure the Forwarders in AD DNS server as ISP's DNS IPs and
    adjust AD DHCP server scope. Windows Help is quite good in these
    explanations.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    I cannot set forwarders because it is a "root server" - any ideas?

    TIA
    Oli
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300386
    HOW TO: Use DNS to Find Networked Resources in Windows 2000 Server

    Last paragraph
    Make Sure That This Server Provides the Only DNS Services for Your Network

Internet Service Providers Domain DNS Windows