Printing red color is yellow?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hello!

I am having a printer problem. It seems like my HP Photosmart 8450 Series printer lost its ability to print red color. When I print a solid red from anywhere (computer, printer itself with samples), I get yellow color.

According to HP Photosmart 8400 Series Toolbox in viewing Tri-color Print Cartridge, I still have about half amount of ink (light blue, purple?, and yellow). The cartridge status reported the same on the printer's LCD screen. Photo print cartridge is almost full (never used its photo printer feature) and gray photo print cartridge is about half.

I tried cleaning cartridges many times via the printer and computer, no improvements. I tried taking the tri-color cartridge out, the ink head seems OK and I cleaned it with a soft tissue. No improvements there.

Since tri-color cartridge has three color inks, is there a way to check if any of them are low? Or do I need to buy a new cartridge (they're expensive). I noticed the expiration date for this cartridge was in year 2007 so I still had a long way to go! I bought this printer and ink cartridge (don't remember if I bought it separately or it came with the printer) back in November 2004 from CompUSA.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"It's like stepping on ants... I don't step on ants, Major." --Odo and Kira from Star Trek: Deep
Space Nine
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
14 answers Last reply
More about printing color yellow

    I'm using a 7960. But to see what cartridge may be bad, or whatnot, I
    hit the Menu button on the printer, go down to Tools, and select Print
    Test Page. This will show the colors in a band and also tell you which
    cartridge the band belongs to. Here you can tell if it is the printer
    or not. The 8450 probably has same feature.
    -----

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 20:06:20 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >I am having a printer problem. It seems like my HP Photosmart 8450 Series printer lost its ability to print red color. When I print a solid red from anywhere (computer, printer itself with samples), I get yellow color.
    >
    >According to HP Photosmart 8400 Series Toolbox in viewing Tri-color Print Cartridge, I still have about half amount of ink (light blue, purple?, and yellow). The cartridge status reported the same on the printer's LCD screen. Photo print cartridge is almost full (never used its photo printer feature) and gray photo print cartridge is about half.
    >
    >I tried cleaning cartridges many times via the printer and computer, no improvements. I tried taking the tri-color cartridge out, the ink head seems OK and I cleaned it with a soft tissue. No improvements there.
    >
    >Since tri-color cartridge has three color inks, is there a way to check if any of them are low? Or do I need to buy a new cartridge (they're expensive). I noticed the expiration date for this cartridge was in year 2007 so I still had a long way to go! I bought this printer and ink cartridge (don't remember if I bought it separately or it came with the printer) back in November 2004 from CompUSA.
    >
    >Thank you in advance. :)

    Oh, I printed that one out before. The problem is are those colors even
    correct? One of them is empty (no grids) so I don't know if that is
    normal. There eight visible grids with two thick vertical bars.

    I have gray, black, light gray, pink, black, light blue, white/invisible,
    yellow, and then blue. That was left to right.

    --

    <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    > Oh, I printed that one out before. The problem is are those colors even
    > correct? One of them is empty (no grids) so I don't know if that is
    > normal. There eight visible grids with two thick vertical bars.
    >
    > I have gray, black, light gray, pink, black, light blue, white/invisible,
    > yellow, and then blue. That was left to right.

    Your color cartridge has an issue with magenta. If you are in the US this
    would be your 97 or 95 cartridge. Assuming this is an original HP cartridge
    and your ink level indicator indicates you still have ink left contact HP at
    1-800-HPINVENt for a warranty replacement.

    Regards,

    I might be of no help here. You are using the Menu to print the Test
    page using the Printer itself and not the HP software Toolbox?

    Anyway, there should be color in each grid. Mine will have labels with
    the cartridge which is printing that grid located above the grid. One
    grid for the Black cartridge, 3 grids for the Photo, and 3 grids for
    the Color cartridge - again with a label above the grids telling which
    cartridge is printing what. Then I get the solid bands of the 7 colors
    (in my case) beneath that.

    As to whether the color is correct, I can't say. But when mine was
    printing perfectly, I pinned the Test printout on the wall so I could
    tell if refills were printing correct colors.
    --

    XO <XO@here.com> wrote:
    > I might be of no help here. You are using the Menu to print the Test
    > page using the Printer itself and not the HP software Toolbox?

    I used both. I wanted to be sure the software wasn't the cause. It's not.
    --

    Bob Headrick <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:

    > <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    > > Oh, I printed that one out before. The problem is are those colors even
    > > correct? One of them is empty (no grids) so I don't know if that is
    > > normal. There eight visible grids with two thick vertical bars.
    > >
    > > I have gray, black, light gray, pink, black, light blue, white/invisible,
    > > yellow, and then blue. That was left to right.

    > Your color cartridge has an issue with magenta. If you are in the US this
    > would be your 97 or 95 cartridge. Assuming this is an original HP cartridge
    > and your ink level indicator indicates you still have ink left contact HP at
    > 1-800-HPINVENt for a warranty replacement.

    I am using 97 cartridge. Does that mean I have to send the printer back?
    Or just the cartridge? I am hoping it is not a printer problem since I
    need the printer even if I can't print red color. :(
    --

    > Bob Headrick <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:
    >> Your color cartridge has an issue with magenta. If you are in the US this
    >> would be your 97 or 95 cartridge. Assuming this is an original HP cartridge
    >> and your ink level indicator indicates you still have ink left contact HP at
    >> 1-800-HPINVENt for a warranty replacement.
    >
    > I am using 97 cartridge. Does that mean I have to send the printer back?
    > Or just the cartridge? I am hoping it is not a printer problem since I
    > need the printer even if I can't print red color. :(

    You only need to replace the cartridge, not the printer. Your dealer should
    replace the cartridge if you take it back or call HP and they will send out a
    replacement.

    Regards,

    > >> Your color cartridge has an issue with magenta. If you are in the US this
    > >> would be your 97 or 95 cartridge. Assuming this is an original HP cartridge
    > >> and your ink level indicator indicates you still have ink left contact HP at
    > >> 1-800-HPINVENt for a warranty replacement.
    > >
    > > I am using 97 cartridge. Does that mean I have to send the printer back?
    > > Or just the cartridge? I am hoping it is not a printer problem since I
    > > need the printer even if I can't print red color. :(

    > You only need to replace the cartridge, not the printer. Your dealer should
    > replace the cartridge if you take it back or call HP and they will send out a
    > replacement.

    Thanks. I will take a print out of the print tests (including HP's,
    Windows print tests, and CompUSA's red logo) to show the missing grid
    gap, the problematic tri-color cartridge, and the receipt (I hope I can
    find it) to CompUSA where I got the printer from.

    I checked the cartridge on a tissue again, and I do see some red. Nice
    rainbow colors.
    --
    "It's like stepping on ants... I don't step on ants, Major." --Odo and Kira from Star Trek: Deep
    Space Nine
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )

    <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    > Bob Headrick <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:

    > > Your color cartridge has an issue with magenta. If you are in the US
    this
    > > would be your 97 or 95 cartridge. Assuming this is an original HP
    cartridge
    > > and your ink level indicator indicates you still have ink left contact
    HP at
    > > 1-800-HPINVENt for a warranty replacement.
    >
    > I am using 97 cartridge. Does that mean I have to send the printer back?
    > Or just the cartridge? I am hoping it is not a printer problem since I
    > need the printer even if I can't print red color. :(

    Probably just the cart.

    Try putting the cart head down on some kitchen paper for a few seconds. Can
    you see any red on the paper? The same amount as the other colours or ??

    CWatters <colin.watters@pandorabox.be> wrote:

    > > > Your color cartridge has an issue with magenta. If you are in the US
    > this
    > > > would be your 97 or 95 cartridge. Assuming this is an original HP
    > cartridge
    > > > and your ink level indicator indicates you still have ink left contact
    > HP at
    > > > 1-800-HPINVENt for a warranty replacement.
    > >
    > > I am using 97 cartridge. Does that mean I have to send the printer back?
    > > Or just the cartridge? I am hoping it is not a printer problem since I
    > > need the printer even if I can't print red color. :(

    > Probably just the cart.

    > Try putting the cart head down on some kitchen paper for a few seconds. Can
    > you see any red on the paper? The same amount as the other colours or ??

    AFAIK, I saw very little redish color when I was cleaning the cartridge
    head yesterday with a tissue.

    Can I ask for a tri-color replacement via e-mail? I cannot use the telephone
    due to my speech and hearing impediments.
    --

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    > > > I am using 97 cartridge. Does that mean I have to send the printer back?
    > > > Or just the cartridge? I am hoping it is not a printer problem since I
    > > > need the printer even if I can't print red color. :(

    > > You only need to replace the cartridge, not the printer. Your dealer should
    > > replace the cartridge if you take it back or call HP and they will send out a
    > > replacement.

    > Thanks. I will take a print out of the print tests (including HP's,
    > Windows print tests, and CompUSA's red logo) to show the missing grid
    > gap, the problematic tri-color cartridge, and the receipt (I hope I can
    > find it) to CompUSA where I got the printer from.

    Rats!! CompUSA store said no. :( I will try HP. In the meantime, I will
    e-mail HP to get a free replacement.
    --
    "An Ant-Man has very low horizons." --Forrest Gump
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )

    > > > You only need to replace the cartridge, not the printer. Your dealer should
    > > > replace the cartridge if you take it back or call HP and they will send out a
    > > > replacement.

    > > Thanks. I will take a print out of the print tests (including HP's,
    > > Windows print tests, and CompUSA's red logo) to show the missing grid
    > > gap, the problematic tri-color cartridge, and the receipt (I hope I can
    > > find it) to CompUSA where I got the printer from.

    > Rats!! CompUSA store said no. :( I will try HP. In the meantime, I will
    > e-mail HP to get a free replacement.

    I broke down and bought a new tri-color cartridge that came with two
    of them and with black ink cartridge to save money compared to buying
    one tri-color cartridge. Now, my printer can print red color again. :)

    I sent HP my information. How does this replacement work? Do I send in
    the defective cartridge to get the new one? And is it free without
    shipping costs?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --

    > I broke down and bought a new tri-color cartridge that came with two
    > of them and with black ink cartridge to save money compared to buying
    > one tri-color cartridge. Now, my printer can print red color again. :)
    >
    > I sent HP my information. How does this replacement work? Do I send in
    > the defective cartridge to get the new one? And is it free without
    > shipping costs?

    How did you send in your information? If you were using the online chat with
    support they should have given you the instructions, which vary depending on
    your country.

    Regards,

    Bob Headrick <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:

    > <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    > > I broke down and bought a new tri-color cartridge that came with two
    > > of them and with black ink cartridge to save money compared to buying
    > > one tri-color cartridge. Now, my printer can print red color again. :)
    > >
    > > I sent HP my information. How does this replacement work? Do I send in
    > > the defective cartridge to get the new one? And is it free without
    > > shipping costs?

    > How did you send in your information? If you were using the online chat with
    > support they should have given you the instructions, which vary depending on
    > your country.

    Bob, it was done via e-mails. HP collected the information and finally
    put me on the cartrdige replacement. I found out that I will be needing
    to send back the defective one. This is all done for free after asking
    more questions. :)
    --
    "An Ant-Man has very low horizons." --Forrest Gump
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )

Printers HP Photosmart Photo Peripherals