Video Card, RAM, or something else

TIMEZONEC

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Hey everybody,

The past few weeks I have notice my computer doesn't respond, lags, then computer crashes which I will have to restart my computer. This is when I was using Windows 2000 Pro. So the next day I installed Windows XP PRO SP1, when I finished installing everything this still happens when I visit the web (FIREFOX AND IE), look at videos on or on the computer (youtube, google video, "MY OWN VIDEOS ON MY COMPUTER", and etc...) So from my perspective I think its either my video card which is a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 or my 512MB RAM. People from other forums told me its my video card but I want to make sure if its really my video card, ram, or both! Btw, I know for sure no ad-awares, spywares, malaware, virus, trojans, and etc...

MY SPECS:

Intel P4 2.4GHZ
512MB RAM
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 (Driver Version – 7.1.8.9)
Intel ECS PT800CE-A
Maxtor 114GB
Windows XP Pro SP1

*EDIT - also when I just visited hardforum.com, went to my thread, tried to scroll down, then mouse freezes, doesnt respond, then I have to restart my computer ONCE again.

Also, I just took the memtest86...it took very long!!! IT took about 1:13:46...and it still not done yet so I just quitted and I got

this

PASS: 5
ERRORS:
ECC ERRS:

Yep..how long was it suppose to be?

My temps are also fine from my perspective:
TEMP1:33C
TEMP2:29C
TEMP3:23C
HD0:41C
TEMP1:40C

I don't see anything wrong!?

Thanks.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not sure what to tell you about your crashing problem but I do know about memtest86.

Memtest86 doesn't end by itself. As you will notice it passes all the tests 5 times and was in the middle of the 6th when you quit. Some guys run that program all night when they are overclocking to make sure that their system will be stable. There is nothing wrong with it running for an 1:13. That is around 20min. per cycle of tests which sounds about right from from what I remember about using the program.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I did just have one thought. Check to make sure that you GPU heatsink isn't full of dust and if it has a fan, make sure that the fan spins easily. It could be that your video card is overheating.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
so is there anything wrong with my ram?

I don't think so. The attached image is similar to what your screen would look like if there are errors.

memory-fail.jpg

TIMEZONEC

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
so is there anything wrong with my ram?

I don't think so. The attached image is similar to what your screen would look like if there are errors.

memory-fail.jpg

It looks exactly the same minus the errors and failing address and etc...so does taht mean ok? or not?

Hey everybody,

The past few weeks I have notice my computer doesn't respond, lags, then computer crashes which I will have to restart my computer. This is when I was using Windows 2000 Pro. So the next day I installed Windows XP PRO SP1, when I finished installing everything this still happens when I visit the web (FIREFOX AND IE), look at videos on or on the computer (youtube, google video, "MY OWN VIDEOS ON MY COMPUTER", and etc...) So from my perspective I think its either my video card which is a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 or my 512MB RAM. People from other forums told me its my video card but I want to make sure if its really my video card, ram, or both! Btw, I know for sure no ad-awares, spywares, malaware, virus, trojans, and etc...

MY SPECS:

Intel P4 2.4GHZ
512MB RAM
Intel ECS PT800CE-A
Maxtor 114GB
Windows XP Pro SP1

*EDIT - also when I just visited hardforum.com, went to my thread, tried to scroll down, then mouse freezes, doesnt respond, then I have to restart my computer ONCE again.

Also, I just took the memtest86...it took very long!!! IT took about 1:13:46...and it still not done yet so I just quitted and I got

this

ERRORS:
ECC ERRS:

Thanks.

Sounds like your hard drive may be dieing.

TIMEZONEC

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Hey everybody,

MY SPECS:

Intel P4 2.4GHZ
512MB RAM
Intel ECS PT800CE-A
Maxtor 114GB
Windows XP Pro SP1

this

ERRORS:
ECC ERRS:

Thanks.

Sounds like your hard drive may be dieing.

honestly to tell you...right now from what I heard from other forums I really think it's either my harddrive or PSU. I don't think it's my video or ram right now...but I need more quotes from other people. So thanks for all the help so far, but more help would be apprecaited. Thanks:)

TIMEZONEC

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
So how much would it cost for a harddrive, 512mb or 1GB ram, and a graphics card! I don't need anything HIGH RANGE...but don't suck, work for a long time, and cheap. Thanks.

Adding RAM might well improve the performance of your system, but it sounds like your real issue is stability.
Your video card is old enough that many years' worth of power glitches, heat (including thermal cycling), and dust may have finally caught up to it as they ultimately do to virtually all electronics.
By today's standards, it's a low-end card. If it is all you need (e.g. no gaming), then you can replace it with something not much better for <$50. Your mobo has an AGP slot on it. If you think you might want to do some light gaming, you can get a GeForce 6600 for under $100 that will make chum out of your old card.
Make sure all of your fans are running. Replace any that aren't, hoping the heat didn't already kill something. If your PSU fan isn't running, plan on replacing the PSU.
If you do decide to add RAM too, you've only got two slots, so make sure they aren't both in use before buying RAM so you know what to get.

TIMEZONEC

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
to jtt283 - so how would I know if my PSU is dieing on me or not?

So jtt283, Which harddrive, ram, and maybe a PSU if I really need to?

If your PSU fan isn't running, then your PSU has been or will be overheating, causing your system to crash as its voltages drift out of spec or fail altogether.
Your mobo supports SATA drives; you can find one at a site like newegg.com for $60-$90 depending on capacity. If you've lost or never had a SATA cable, be aware that OEM drives (vs. Retail) won't come with one.

A 1GB RAM kit consisting of a pair of 512MB sticks from one of the reputable manufacturers will be fine. Corsair, Mushkin, Geil, Kingston are just a few of the companies in the RAM business to stay.

Your mobo has a 20-pin power connector on it, so the PSU should be a 20-pin or a 20+4 pin. Your requirements are minimal; you aren't likely to do too badly if you spend $50-$75 on a new 300W PSU. No one here would suggest you try to get by with a $15 special, but they probably won't insist you have to spend > $100.
If you have to replace fans, get ball-bearing rather than sleeve fans. They last longer and run quieter.

bladetech8

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I can assure you it's not your RAM. If you ran memtest on it and received no errors than you can assure yourself RAM is not the cause of your problems.

It could be your PSU but I doubt it. Whats the Watts on your PSU by the way?

I would narrow your search down to either a dieing Hard Drive (Least likely if you crashing has to do with VIDEOS) or a dieing Video Card (Most likely if you get video crashing and video glitches). Before you start searching for a new video card make sure you know if the bus is either AGP or PCI-Express.

TIMEZONEC

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
thanks for the advices and suggestions!

ya...to me right now I don't think its the PSU (causing I'm feeling the back of the computer and I seriously don't feel any overheating at all) (also I have been running my computer from 7:30pm-current 1:29 on/off cause of crashing!) I really think its the hard drive dying on me and most likely the video card also! The ram maybe won't hurt if I upgrade that also! Thanks fro the help somefar everybody. I'll get back asap when I know what happens. But if there are more suggestions that would be also be appreciated.

thanks for the advices and suggestions!

...I don't think its the PSU (causing I'm feeling the back of the computer and I seriously don't feel any overheating at all)...

Are saying you are feeling no airflow at all, or is there air, but it's just barely warm? If there's no airflow, so much for your PSU fan (and probably the PSU). It is safe to stick a q-tip, straw, or other small non-conductive item through the fan slots just to check for moving blades;
if you have multiple exhaust fans in your case and no intake fans, they may be overwhelming the PSU fan's ability to exhaust warm air so the fan would appear to be dead (and may as well be). A good case setup includes as many intakes as exhausts.
PSUs often don't like to die alone, and will encourage a mobo or hard drive to join them in Death. If you aren't feeling any air, shut your system off until you've installed replacement parts and/or modified your arrangement of cooling fans.

TIMEZONEC

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
sorry if you misunderstood my statement. what i meant is there is air (i can feel it) and it's barely warm...before usually after an 2hr or so..it gets warm, warmer, and than hot...but the last two days after i installed windows xp pro my computer doesn't get that warm at all!

*edit - i just ran motherboard monitor and my temps were:

CASE: -81C
CPU: 90C/-121C wtf is wrong with it?

Either whatever you used to measure is way off, or your system is way too hot. What does the monitor say when you first turn your PC on? If it is low (e.g. 30C-35C) but is now that hot, you've found your problem. I suspect the monitor is off though, because your system doesn't have a furnace of a GPU or other high-end heat producer.
A failing PSU, especially one trying to recruit company for the Great Beyond, might be causing this. After this next test, it might be best to not use that PC until it is fixed.

TIMEZONEC

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I'm sure if you go to Maxtor's website they'll have some sort of diagnostic utility you download for free and test your HD with.

i have tried that...its a program called PowerMax 4 or something like that and passed on eveything! And jtt283 I don't think I understand what you just said!!! Please explain. Thanks:)

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
hey those temps
81c for case
90c for cpu are out of this world

check for dust, are the fans working
take the side cover off and place a
house fan on it and see what happens