Desperate for Compaq Proliant 3000 advice

jethro

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,uk.comp.os.win2000 (More info?)

Hi all,

this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
get the only server in a small business Up and running.

Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array

A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
started rebuilding.

Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen. Gets
halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".

Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
Tried repair window - same

Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.

From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
wrongly configured.

One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone beep.
When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it satrts
again.

Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
providers).

Thanks in advance

Jethro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,uk.comp.os.win2000 (More info?)

> this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
> get the only server in a small business Up and running.
>
> Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
>
> A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
> started rebuilding.
>
> Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen.
Gets
> halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".
>
> Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
> Tried repair window - same
>
> Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
> fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
>
> From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
> wrongly configured.
>
> One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone
beep.
> When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it
satrts
> again.
>
> Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
> running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
> providers).

Hi, Jethro here (different m/c !)

After installing the SmartStart utils, the newer 2K install now crashes !

I managed to get into the recovery console and did a chkdsk ... it spent 4
hours at 50% ... I wasn't sure if it had hung ... I decided to crash out
(if it needs that long I'll set it of over night) ....

Micm

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

Jethro (Jethro_uk@hotmail.com) wrote:
(in message c91kao$c0h$1@sparta.btinternet.com)

> Hi all,
>
> this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with
> trying to get the only server in a small business Up and running.
>
> Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
>
> A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
> started rebuilding.
>
> Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the
> spashscreen. Gets halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device
> not accesible".
>
> Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
> Tried repair window - same
>
> Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which
> works fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
>
> From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is
> somehow wrongly configured.
>
> One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone
> beep. When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes
> down, it satrts again.
>
> Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows
> up & running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to
> the service providers).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jethro

Are you *positive* the RAID array rebuilt? Is there a pre-windows-boot raid
bios you can get into to check the state or the arrays?

Mike.

In message <d85tc.3338$cM5.32807071@news-text.cableinet.net>, micm
<micm-news@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
>Are you *positive* the RAID array rebuilt? Is there a pre-windows-boot raid
>bios you can get into to check the state or the arrays?
You can check this from the smart start CD.

--
Clint Sharp

> Hi all,
>
> this is desperate plea from an amatuer who has been tasked with trying to
> get the only server in a small business Up and running.
>
> Proliant 3000 with 2DH RAID Array
>
> A drive failed (it has 6x9.1Gb). Swapped in a replacement Friday which
> started rebuilding.
>
> Monday went to reboot, got past the "F8" screen, onto the spashscreen.
> Gets
> halfway through that then blue screens "Boot device not accesible".
>
> Tried CHKDSK /F from recovery console - same
> Tried repair window - same
>
> Have now Installed a side-by-side copy of Windows 2K Server, which works
> fine, and lets me see data on the hard drive no problem.
>
> From this I deduce the MACHINE is OK, but the original windows is somehow
> wrongly configured.
>
> One odd thing is that when the machine boots up, it has this two-tone
> beep.
> When Windows takes over, the beep stops. When windows closes down, it
> satrts
> again.
>
> Has anyone any ideas of things I could do to get the ORIGINAL windows up &
> running. It has all the Exchange data (plus login passwords to the service
> providers).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jethro

Be positive that your RAID controller is functioning properly (has not
failed).
This is often overlooked and I have seen your symptoms -- to eventually
discover a controller
failure.

gb