Optical Ethernet distances

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.wan (More info?)

Does anybody know which physical impairment imposes the maximum
distance in optical ethernet connections?
Example: 802.3ae refers to 10 km for 10BaseLX

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.wan (More info?)

In article <b2074af1.0405210114.6e836c8d@posting.google.com>,
F.C. <fcugini@libero.it> wrote:
>Does anybody know which physical impairment imposes the maximum
>distance in optical ethernet connections?
>Example: 802.3ae refers to 10 km for 10BaseLX

dB loss.

If you've got good fiber you can go a little further, - I've done 13km,
but a recent 18km shot required ZX lasers.
--
Daniel J McDonald CCIE # 2495, CNX
Visit my website: http://www.austinnetworkdesign.com