Can't delete a file in Windows XP.

October 7, 2004 6:42:52 PM

I have a file that appears to be locked and I can't
delete it. The file was a failed attempt at an FTP
transfer from another computer. It is 0kb large. I have
re-booted a number of times. Everytime I attempt to
move, delete or rename I get a message indicating that
some program or other user is using the file. I cannot
identify a process that is using it (well how there be?)
and I have deiabled the network and then rebooted again,
to no avail.

How do I get rid of the the thing?

More about : delete file windows

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 8:48:50 PM

It would be best to boot into Safe Mode, search for the file,
then delete it.

How to Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Chris" wrote:

| I have a file that appears to be locked and I can't
| delete it. The file was a failed attempt at an FTP
| transfer from another computer. It is 0kb large. I have
| re-booted a number of times. Everytime I attempt to
| move, delete or rename I get a message indicating that
| some program or other user is using the file. I cannot
| identify a process that is using it (well how there be?)
| and I have deiabled the network and then rebooted again,
| to no avail.
|
| How do I get rid of the the thing?
October 7, 2004 8:48:51 PM

Awesome - that did it! Bookmarking that site.

Cheers,

Chris

aspx

!