Can't delete a file in Windows XP.

I have a file that appears to be locked and I can't
delete it. The file was a failed attempt at an FTP
transfer from another computer. It is 0kb large. I have
re-booted a number of times. Everytime I attempt to
move, delete or rename I get a message indicating that
some program or other user is using the file. I cannot
identify a process that is using it (well how there be?)
and I have deiabled the network and then rebooted again,
to no avail.

How do I get rid of the the thing?
2 answers Last reply
More about delete file windows

    It would be best to boot into Safe Mode, search for the file,
    then delete it.

    How to Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Chris" wrote:

    | I have a file that appears to be locked and I can't
    | delete it. The file was a failed attempt at an FTP
    | transfer from another computer. It is 0kb large. I have
    | re-booted a number of times. Everytime I attempt to
    | move, delete or rename I get a message indicating that
    | some program or other user is using the file. I cannot
    | identify a process that is using it (well how there be?)
    | and I have deiabled the network and then rebooted again,
    | to no avail.
    |
    | How do I get rid of the the thing?

    Awesome - that did it! Bookmarking that site.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    aspx

    ------------------

    >"Chris" wrote:
    >
    >| I have a file that appears to be locked and I can't
    >| delete it. The file was a failed attempt at an FTP
    >| transfer from another computer. It is 0kb large. I
    have
    >| re-booted a number of times. Everytime I attempt to
    >| move, delete or rename I get a message indicating that
    >| some program or other user is using the file. I
    cannot
    >| identify a process that is using it (well how there
    be?)
    >| and I have deiabled the network and then rebooted
    again,
    >| to no avail.
    >|
    >| How do I get rid of the the thing?
    >.