Is my MoBo compatible with my Ram???

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I've seen others say that Asus mother boards will support almost anything. But on Asus's site it doesn't say weither their motherboards support G. Skill DDR2 800. And on G. Skill's site it says nothing about Asus/G. Skill compatibility.

Here is MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131013
Here is Ram: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231085

Are they compatible? I think they will be, but should I chance it?

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it!

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I have heard the G.Skill only supports Intel? I'm skeptical, but I wouldn't take the chance. For some reason OCZ is having compatibilty issues as well.

~Ibrahim~

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I just read a review that says his g. skill memory worked in this asus board. But then I looked at another Asus board, same one but with wifi, and some other guy said his g. skill memory didn't work.

WTF MATE!!!
Anyone with this mobo or an asus mobo and g. skill memory please help me!!!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I just read a review that says his g. skill memory worked in this asus board. But then I looked at another Asus board, same one but with wifi, and some other guy said his g. skill memory didn't work.

WTF MATE!!!

Well I cannot comment on that memory and board in particular, but CAS 5 is BAD with AM2. Try to find some CAS4 memory. It works much better. :)

4Aces

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Personally I check the memory vendors sight prior to purchasing memory to see if it's compatible. Or if that concerned see what the motherboard maker reccomends. Asus will tell ya corsair most of the time. corsair though they don't honor rebates will work well in Asus if it's the XMS Twinx.

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

WTF MATE!!!

Well I cannot comment on that memory and board in particular, but CAS 5 is BAD with AM2. Try to find some CAS4 memory. It works much better. :)

Yes I know CAS4 will work better, but I plan to up the voltage alittle and over clock it. Hopefully =). And even if I can't overclock it to CAS4 I will only lose a few frames a second at most, and it won't really matter that much in real life apps. Also, I'm only getting cheap 1 GB because DDR3 is slated to come out next year. So I'm just kind of skipping this generation.

rObOchrIs

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I've seen others say that Asus mother boards will support almost anything. But on Asus's site it doesn't say weither their motherboards support G. Skill DDR2 800. And on G. Skill's site it says nothing about Asus/G. Skill compatibility.

Here is MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131013
Here is Ram: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231085

Are they compatible? I think they will be, but should I chance it?

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it!
Go with a better ram manufacturer. Looks like your kinda on a budget, but I would check out Corsair. They make pretty good stuff. I have the value ram (1 gb. 2 x 512 pc 3200) on an ABIT IC-7 G. Had it for over 2 years now. Great stuff. Cheap! :D

Mondoman

Splendid
...check out Corsair. They make pretty good stuff. I have the value ram (1 gb. 2 x 512 pc 3200) on an ABIT IC-7 G. Had it for over 2 years now. Great stuff. Cheap! :D
OTOH, Corsair's ValueSelect ram 1GB sticks have a high failure/DOA rate. Corsair apparently contracts out its ValueSelect line to the lowest bidder, so you never know if you'll get something that works.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

WTF MATE!!!

Answer me this: Is CAS 5 slower for AM2s or CAS 5 itself, the timing, incompatible for AM2s?

~Ibrahim~

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

WTF MATE!!!

Answer me this: Is CAS 5 slower for AM2s or CAS 5 itself, the timing, incompatible for AM2s?

~Ibrahim~

Its not incompatible.. just with CAS5 RAM, AM2 is equal or slower than S939. So its pretty pointless to ever use.