Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

question about printable CD's and DVD's

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 5:55:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

This is probably a 101 question to lots of posters, so I hope you dont
mind helping.

I am just trying to understand the basics of the relatively new thing
where you can print on CD's. I have been burning CD's just a year or so
and sometimes use the stickers, which can be a pain. I even had a
problem with a DVD playing until I realized a tiny bit of the edge was
not adhered down 100%. So this idea of printing without using stickers
is very appealing. I see they sell "printable CD's (and DVD's)" so
obviously the stock of unused ones I have now will just have to get
used up.

Tell me if my assumptions are right -
I need a special printer to do this? and of course to buy the printable
media?

But I have also heard about burning images on your media in a driver as
well? Is this just yet another alternative means? What would that
entail? Would I need a new driver. I currently have a cd burner and dvd
burner in one. I have a bay for another drive, would I just get an
"image burning" driver to add or would I have to burn the data and
image in the same place?
What are the advantage or disadvantages of burning an image vs
printing.

Thanks

More about : question printable dvd

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:09:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

jmpc@msn.com wrote:


> I am just trying to understand the basics of the relatively new thing
> where you can print on CD's. ...
>
> Tell me if my assumptions are right -
> I need a special printer to do this? and of course to buy the printable
> media?

Yes. Some Epson photo printers can print on special printable disks.

>
> But I have also heard about burning images on your media in a driver as
> well?

This sounds like LightScribe, a system developed by HP which uses the laser
in a disk burner to print on a special disk.


-- Steve
May 28, 2005 10:52:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

We just changed our DVD burner to a Lightscribe (was able to get the
drive from Buy.com for $68 after a few deals. While I'd prefer full
color, the professional look and end of sticky labels is worth it to
use Lightscribe for most of our projects instead.

HP claims it is working on "Color Lightscribe" for the future and
faster speeds for the burners. I am lost, however, on how they'll get
full color labeling out of Lightscribe.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:06:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

<jmpc@msn.com> wrote in message
news:1117313709.920188.60210@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> But I have also heard about burning images on your media in a driver as
> well? Is this just yet another alternative means? What would that
> entail? Would I need a new driver. I currently have a cd burner and dvd
> burner in one. I have a bay for another drive, would I just get an
> "image burning" driver to add or would I have to burn the data and
> image in the same place?
> What are the advantage or disadvantages of burning an image vs
> printing.

The "Lightscribe" system is the one that burns the image on the CD in your CD
or DVD writer. This requires an extra sensor in the writer, so you need a
drive that is Lightscribe enabled. They are getting pretty widespread now but
have only been out for six months or so. Older drives will not work, you would
need a new drive. Lightscribe enabled DVD writers are down to about $75 at
this point. Special media is required.

As for advantages/disadvantages: both types require special media. Printing
can do colors, Lightscribe currently does not. Lightscribe will not smear,
printed labels may. In North America only Epson currently offers printers
enabled for CD printing.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP (the guys that invented and
license Lightscribe)
May 29, 2005 1:13:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I didn't quite understand the last paragraph of your post...are you asking if
there is a CD/DVD burner that also prints on the media? If so then I have never
heard of one but I guess its is possible technically.
Canon and Epson (maybe others) make printers that will do this however - Yes it
is a special printer but the same printer also prints on standard paper. The
canon printers that do this are not available in the USA (Don't know where you
are) but are available elsewhere. I understand the Epson printers that print on
DVD/CD media are available in the USA. Suggest you Google for information on
what is available in your geography.
Tony

jmpc@msn.com wrote:
>This is probably a 101 question to lots of posters, so I hope you dont
>mind helping.
>
>I am just trying to understand the basics of the relatively new thing
>where you can print on CD's. I have been burning CD's just a year or so
>and sometimes use the stickers, which can be a pain. I even had a
>problem with a DVD playing until I realized a tiny bit of the edge was
>not adhered down 100%. So this idea of printing without using stickers
>is very appealing. I see they sell "printable CD's (and DVD's)" so
>obviously the stock of unused ones I have now will just have to get
>used up.
>
>Tell me if my assumptions are right -
>I need a special printer to do this? and of course to buy the printable
>media?
>
>But I have also heard about burning images on your media in a driver as
>well? Is this just yet another alternative means? What would that
>entail? Would I need a new driver. I currently have a cd burner and dvd
>burner in one. I have a bay for another drive, would I just get an
>"image burning" driver to add or would I have to burn the data and
>image in the same place?
>What are the advantage or disadvantages of burning an image vs
>printing.
>
>Thanks
>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 1:49:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 28 May 2005 14:55:09 -0700, jmpc wrote:

> But I have also heard about burning images on your media in a driver as
> well? Is this just yet another alternative means? What would that
> entail? Would I need a new driver. I currently have a cd burner and dvd
> burner in one. I have a bay for another drive, would I just get an
> "image burning" driver to add or would I have to burn the data and
> image in the same place?
> What are the advantage or disadvantages of burning an image vs
> printing.

Your other questions have already been answered but the above wasn't made
very clear.

Yes, there are "printers" which can burn an image onto the top, label side
of a CD/DVD. Personally, I'm not impressed that much by them even if the
technology is interesting. The discs are expensive and it's monochrome
only.

Your best bet is whatever make of colour inkjet you fancy or is available
where you are which has the adaptor tray for printing CD/DVD discs. The
printable discs are only slightly more expensive than non-printables. You
can even get "silver" printable discs which are a sort of matt silver, a
bit like brushed aluminium. They can produce some nice metallic effects
if you choose the right sort of colour gradients in your graphics package.

--
Dave
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 2:11:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

<Tony> wrote in message news:119hno6ke11egf6@news.supernews.com...
>I didn't quite understand the last paragraph of your post...are you asking
>if
> there is a CD/DVD burner that also prints on the media? If so then I have
> never
> heard of one but I guess its is possible technically.

He's probably referring to the new Litescribe burners
http://www.lightscribe.com/, using special media they can 'burn' an image
onto the front of the disc surface.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 3:04:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Ivor Floppy wrote:
> <Tony> wrote in message news:119hno6ke11egf6@news.supernews.com...
>
>>I didn't quite understand the last paragraph of your post...are you asking
>>if
>>there is a CD/DVD burner that also prints on the media? If so then I have
>>never
>>heard of one but I guess its is possible technically.
>
>
> He's probably referring to the new Litescribe burners
> http://www.lightscribe.com/, using special media they can 'burn' an image
> onto the front of the disc surface.
>
> The lightscribe burners are very slow and have no color.
better to go with a cd printer.The epson R200 prints very nice on
printable cds.
John.H.


>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 3:22:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hi,

I'm just starting to print on DVDs with an Epson printer (R1800) and have
found it delightfully satisfying to finally be able to get a nicely finished
disk for the effort I've put into making my own movies on the disks. I very
much recommend it. I have heard good and bad reports about the R200 (the
cheapest of the Epson lot that will do this) so I'd recommend asking from
others what has worked well for them. I've read about Lightscribe and did
not consider it because only a single color can be achieved and one needs a
burner that will handle Lightscribe.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
or
jalter@phila.k12.pa.us
"Steve Dunbar" <stvdnb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:119hr08h11tkp9a@news.supernews.com...
> jmpc@msn.com wrote:
>
>
>> I am just trying to understand the basics of the relatively new thing
>> where you can print on CD's. ...
>>
>> Tell me if my assumptions are right -
>> I need a special printer to do this? and of course to buy the printable
>> media?
>
> Yes. Some Epson photo printers can print on special printable disks.
>
>>
>> But I have also heard about burning images on your media in a driver as
>> well?
>
> This sounds like LightScribe, a system developed by HP which uses the
> laser
> in a disk burner to print on a special disk.
>
>
> -- Steve
May 29, 2005 3:27:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Thanks
Always something to learn!
Tony


"Ivor Floppy" <Ivor@somewhere.uk> wrote:
>
><Tony> wrote in message news:119hno6ke11egf6@news.supernews.com...
>>I didn't quite understand the last paragraph of your post...are you asking
>>if
>> there is a CD/DVD burner that also prints on the media? If so then I have
>> never
>> heard of one but I guess its is possible technically.
>
>He's probably referring to the new Litescribe burners
>http://www.lightscribe.com/, using special media they can 'burn' an image
>onto the front of the disc surface.
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:14:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 28 May 2005 21:13:42 -0000, Tony <> wrote:

>I didn't quite understand the last paragraph of your post...are you asking if
>there is a CD/DVD burner that also prints on the media? If so then I have never
>heard of one but I guess its is possible technically.

There is one but it's not ink or other conventional way. It uses
light to "scribe" monochrome image on the surface of the CD. And only
certain type of CD-R can be used this way, any other plain CD-R can't
be used in this manner.

It's OK if you don't want to get separate printer for direct to CD
printing and you don't want to fuss around with CD labeling kit but
I'd avoid it otherwise because it's only mono image and a bit
overpriced compared to separate burner and cheap inkjet printer with
cheap CD label kit.
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 3:38:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
news:119icd1mhr11q3b@corp.supernews.com...
>
> <jmpc@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:1117313709.920188.60210@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>> But I have also heard about burning images on your media in a driver as
>> well? Is this just yet another alternative means? What would that
>> entail? Would I need a new driver. I currently have a cd burner and dvd
>> burner in one. I have a bay for another drive, would I just get an
>> "image burning" driver to add or would I have to burn the data and
>> image in the same place?
>> What are the advantage or disadvantages of burning an image vs
>> printing.
>
> The "Lightscribe" system is the one that burns the image on the CD in your
> CD or DVD writer. This requires an extra sensor in the writer, so you
> need a drive that is Lightscribe enabled. They are getting pretty
> widespread now but have only been out for six months or so. Older drives
> will not work, you would need a new drive. Lightscribe enabled DVD
> writers are down to about $75 at this point. Special media is required.
>
> As for advantages/disadvantages: both types require special media.
> Printing can do colors, Lightscribe currently does not. Lightscribe will
> not smear, printed labels may. In North America only Epson currently
> offers printers enabled for CD printing.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP (the guys that invented and
> license Lightscribe)

You forgot:

Printing takes about 2 minutes or less per disk, Lightscribe takes about
HALF AN HOUR (!)
http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=262&p...
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 6:00:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I believe he is referring to Lightscribe, which is a new technology that
has just been released retail. You flip the specially sensitized disks
over and can burn an image into the surface in black. They claim it
will not harm the data already on the disk, and it is long lasting.

Tony wrote:

> I didn't quite understand the last paragraph of your post...are you asking if
> there is a CD/DVD burner that also prints on the media? If so then I have never
> heard of one but I guess its is possible technically.
> Canon and Epson (maybe others) make printers that will do this however - Yes it
> is a special printer but the same printer also prints on standard paper. The
> canon printers that do this are not available in the USA (Don't know where you
> are) but are available elsewhere. I understand the Epson printers that print on
> DVD/CD media are available in the USA. Suggest you Google for information on
> what is available in your geography.
> Tony
>
> jmpc@msn.com wrote:
>
>>This is probably a 101 question to lots of posters, so I hope you dont
>>mind helping.
>>
>>I am just trying to understand the basics of the relatively new thing
>>where you can print on CD's. I have been burning CD's just a year or so
>>and sometimes use the stickers, which can be a pain. I even had a
>>problem with a DVD playing until I realized a tiny bit of the edge was
>>not adhered down 100%. So this idea of printing without using stickers
>>is very appealing. I see they sell "printable CD's (and DVD's)" so
>>obviously the stock of unused ones I have now will just have to get
>>used up.
>>
>>Tell me if my assumptions are right -
>>I need a special printer to do this? and of course to buy the printable
>>media?
>>
>>But I have also heard about burning images on your media in a driver as
>>well? Is this just yet another alternative means? What would that
>>entail? Would I need a new driver. I currently have a cd burner and dvd
>>burner in one. I have a bay for another drive, would I just get an
>>"image burning" driver to add or would I have to burn the data and
>>image in the same place?
>>What are the advantage or disadvantages of burning an image vs
>>printing.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>
>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 10:42:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sun, 29 May 2005 11:38:17 GMT, "Ivor Floppy" <Ivor@somewhere.uk>
wrote:

>You forgot:
>
>Printing takes about 2 minutes or less per disk, Lightscribe takes about
>HALF AN HOUR (!)
>http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=262&p...

Half an hour for mono image?!? Then how long would a color version
take to scribe if that ever comes out? 2 hours?

In half hour, I could print out a batch of CD labels at about 30
seconds per page (2 CD label per page) with good quality image and a
few minutes or so for each CD-R plus a minute to hand label each CD.
Let see... probably a dozen per half hour by inkjet printer vs one in
half hour with lightscribe.
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 3:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
news:36hk91hij7rjkncrvnhipos1atrvkdld67@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 11:38:17 GMT, "Ivor Floppy" <Ivor@somewhere.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>You forgot:
>>
>>Printing takes about 2 minutes or less per disk, Lightscribe takes about
>>HALF AN HOUR (!)
>>http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=262&p...
>
> Half an hour for mono image?!?

Yup - click on the link above for a review of a Lightscribe burner, or
there's here http://www.lightscribe.com/index.aspx - a nice website telling
you all you need to know about lightscribe *except* how damn long it takes
to burn a label....:) 

It looks like a nice(ish) idea *if* the cost of the media was the same as
inkjet printable stuff (the image on a DVD is sandwiched between the plastic
layers so it's not going to rub off..). So far, the only price I can find is
£9.99 for 5 off - I can get *25* inkjet printable A grade's for the same
price (actually slighty less)*.


> Then how long would a color version take to scribe if that ever comes out?
> 2 hours?
Your guess is a good as mine. In theory it could take the same time as a
grayscale image.

>
> In half hour, I could print out a batch of CD labels at about 30
> seconds per page (2 CD label per page) with good quality image and a
> few minutes or so for each CD-R plus a minute to hand label each CD.

Using my Epson R200 at absolute maximum quality settings, (Photo RPM)
printing a CD/DVD takes about 2 or 3 mins. Printing at more normal quality
setting (hardly noticeable quality drop unless your printing photographs on
to the disc) its down to about a minute.


> Let see... probably a dozen per half hour by inkjet printer vs one in
> half hour with lightscribe.

* Or, I could get
BUNDLE DEAL: 25 Datasafe Printable 8x DVD-R --AND-- Ridisc/Datasafe
R200/R300 Cartridge Set (2x black and 1 of each of the other 5 colours) for
£8.99!

Bargain..:) 
May 30, 2005 6:10:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> I am just trying to understand the basics of the relatively new thing
> where you can print on CD's. I have been burning CD's just a year or so
> and sometimes use the stickers, which can be a pain. I even had a
> problem with a DVD playing until I realized a tiny bit of the edge was
> not adhered down 100%.

You can get an inkjet that prints on inkjet printable CDs/DVDs. Epson
r200, r300, and r800 to name a few. Non-north American Canon ip pixma
series can also print on CDs/DVDS, north american models *can* if you
tweek with the settings and have the right sized tray. You are pretty
much limited to inkjet printable discs, mostly they are white but some
have a clear primer that accept ink. Expect to pay 30 to 80 cents/disc
mail order. Costco carries TDK white printables either $20 or $30 for
a 50pack. The r200 costs about $100 and takes 6 inktanks averaging
about $12.50 each Expect a disc to be finished in a min or two on the
epson, the canon is faster. 3rd party ink can lower your long term
costs. The Epsons waste much ink, which is stored in a diaper that
can't be replaced by the end user. It's a good idea to invest in extra
tubing and route the waste ink into a jug otherwise your desk could be
covered in ink, like mine was. If it's under warranty no big deal,
otherwise expect a fee close to the value of your printer.

There is also the Primera Z1 thermal ribbon printable
http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html and I think Casio also makes a
thermal ribbon printable. I don't know how well it works on normal
CDs. About the same price per disc as inkjet printable I believe.
Ribbons for the Z1 cost about $20 a pop, are good for in theory
200discs acording to them, and near as i'm aware you can only use one
color at a time. Costs more than ink but won't wash away in the rain.
If you already have a printer the Z1 will take up less extra space.

And lastly HP's LaserScribe which is monochrome and from what i've read
will do an image on a disk in under 1/2 hour, if you are lucky. The
drive costs less than either the Epson or the Primera printer, but the
media cost is a good deal higher. If you are already in the market for
a DVD burner it doesn't cost much more. I see the price for DVD+R
laserscribe discks at $1.60 each for a 30 pack and no DVD-R yet.
Lightscribe CDrs have dropped in price to 60cent's each. I have to
admit the idea is sound but the technology is young, slow, and spendy.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 3:29:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hi, I have lots of success using my Canon Pixma IP4000 on directly
printing on CDs.
Since I still have lots of label stickers left, I would first stick the
stickers on the CD using a CD stomper, then insert it on my printer's
special cd tray, and print on it.
But I understand that the Direct CD Printing on Canons is not available
in the USA due to patent issues with Epson.
June 2, 2005 7:02:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> It's OK if you don't want to get separate printer for direct to CD
> printing and you don't want to fuss around with CD labeling kit but
> I'd avoid it otherwise because it's only mono image and a bit
> overpriced compared to separate burner and cheap inkjet printer with
> cheap CD label kit.

I wouldn't consider a cheap label kit my self. I did pickup a 120pack
of Memorex labels for about $20 or so, or about 16cent/disc. Price
wise very acceptable. But it says on the package not to use the full
faced labels because they might cause damage to your drive and your
media. Call me silly but that's but any product that says not to use
it should be avoided. In all fairness they reccomend the hub labels,
and it's possible those might work better, so long as they don't come
off and jam in your drive.

The last time I looked into Lightscribe the media was comming down in
price but still no DVD-Rs on the market. If your bag is CD-r though
and you have an extra 1/2 hour or so to burn a label this might work
for you and 60cent a pop if you buy a 30pack. Verbatim 100packs for
white inkjet printable is closer to cent/pop plus ink, other options
can be as low as 10cent/pop.

I like the idea of Lightscribe even though it's monochrome. I don't
like the cost, nor do I like the fact that making an image takes so
long.
June 2, 2005 4:54:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You can get an inkjet that prints on inkjet printable CDs/DVDs. Epson
> r200, r300, and r800 to name a few. Non-north American Canon ip pixma
> series can also print on CDs/DVDS, north american models *can* if you
> tweek with the settings and have the right sized tray. You are pretty
> much limited to inkjet printable discs, mostly they are white but some
> have a clear primer that accept ink. Expect to pay 30 to 80 cents/disc
> mail order. Costco carries TDK white printables either $20 or $30 for
> a 50pack. The r200 costs about $100 and takes 6 inktanks averaging
> about $12.50 each Expect a disc to be finished in a min or two on the
> epson, the canon is faster. 3rd party ink can lower your long term
> costs. The Epsons waste much ink, which is stored in a diaper that
> can't be replaced by the end user. It's a good idea to invest in extra
> tubing and route the waste ink into a jug otherwise your desk could be
> covered in ink, like mine was. If it's under warranty no big deal,
> otherwise expect a fee close to the value of your printer.

Point your browser to web site like www.SuperMediastore.com to enjoy lower
price. Yup! I have been using Inkjet Printable CD/DVD for some years now.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On 28 May 2005 13:55:09 -0700, jmpc@msn.com wrote:

>This is probably a 101 question to lots of posters, so I hope you dont
>mind helping.
>
>I am just trying to understand the basics of the relatively new thing
>where you can print on CD's. I have been burning CD's just a year or so
>and sometimes use the stickers, which can be a pain. I even had a
>problem with a DVD playing until I realized a tiny bit of the edge was
>not adhered down 100%. So this idea of printing without using stickers
>is very appealing. I see they sell "printable CD's (and DVD's)" so
>obviously the stock of unused ones I have now will just have to get
>used up.
>
>Tell me if my assumptions are right -
>I need a special printer to do this? and of course to buy the printable
>media?
>
>But I have also heard about burning images on your media in a driver as
>well? Is this just yet another alternative means? What would that
>entail? Would I need a new driver. I currently have a cd burner and dvd
>burner in one. I have a bay for another drive, would I just get an
>"image burning" driver to add or would I have to burn the data and
>image in the same place?
>What are the advantage or disadvantages of burning an image vs
>printing.
>
>Thanks

Hi jmpc:

I use an Epson Stylus Photo R300 USB2 InkJet printer which prints
directly onto discs.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail....

There is a less expensive R200 which does this too.
Very pleased all around with this printer.

I've printed onto Verbatim Printable Silver CD-Rs and Verbatim
Printable White DVD-R discs.
Very pleased with the results on both

http://www.verbatim.com/products/products_subcategory.c...

I will soon be building a separate MS MCE2005 computer and want to get
a new dual layer burner for it.
I'm looking at this one:
BenQ 16X DL DVD+/-RW with LightScribe Technology - Retail Bundle
Black DW1625-0C4
http://www.benq.us/Products/DVDRewriter/index.cfm?produ...
With this burner you flip the burned disc over and laser burn what
you wish.
Basically an HP invention that is licensed out to other burner mfrs.
Very nice I believe but slowish.

Here is the home page for LightScribe:
http://www.lightscribe.com/

The media from Verbatim for LightScribe has just come into stock where
is usually buy this kind of thing (Staples Business Depot)

http://www.verbatim.com/products/product_category.cfm?p...

So you could buy either a printer, a burner, or both :) 

Google for reviews.

Happy trails,
!