Sign in with
Your question

2 x GeForce 7950GX2 powering 4 displays

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2006 12:17:06 AM

I am about to start a software project OpenGL based for which I need to specify the hardware. I need to power 4 displays simultaneously from a single PC. Each display must have hardware accelerated 3D. I am planning to have a PC build with a Intel core 2 Due E6700 and two 7950GX2 cards inside.

I understand that quad SLI is not yet fully supported and that is fine but will it work to power four displays via the 2 x 2 DVI outputs?

What I did find, is this old article from 2004 http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/23/nvidia/page31.ht... which suggest this should be possible today.

Obviously I expect all 4 GPU's to perform some of the work.

What are your thoughts on this.
July 29, 2006 12:35:44 AM

I'm kind of confused. Are you doing something like playing four games at once and you want them to play at great frame rates?

So you are doing four extremely GPU-intensive tasks? It should work , but I'm not sure if it will exactly do what you want. I'm not sure how to tell the computer to tell each GPU to work on one monitor...

~Ibrahim~
July 29, 2006 1:33:57 AM

No games. I am writing an OpenGL based program that needs to drive 4 3D views one for each monitor for a simulator.
Related resources
July 29, 2006 4:26:16 PM

So you want a GPU working on each display? You do NOT want SLi then, just making sure.

What you need is to find a board with four PCI-e X16 slots.... The Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal is one of them. Sckt 775, though. You plug in four cards, no SLi bridges, do NOT enable SLi in the OS or BIOS, plug a monitor into each card. Should work..

I checked on the BIOS updates, it might work with Core 2 Duo, inquire with Gigabyte before hand.

~Ibrahim~
July 29, 2006 5:18:46 PM

You'll have to disable SLI to use all 4 monitors and doing that will only enable one GPU per board; instead you should get 7900GTXs and run two monitors on each; overclock them if you need to for some added power.
!