or

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 $239
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 $180
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB $214
BFG 7900GT $270
OCZ (OCZ45012U) ModStream 450 Watt $70
$973 Canadian

Which one should i go for?
I am planning to use Vista later on and also plan to OC as much as possible.

I've seen some other thread that, AMD does a much better job in 64-bit than Conroes, so will be missing much? or should I still go with the Conroe?

I'd love to go for the X2 since I found a mATX AM2 Mobo which will allow me to put it in in SFF case.

Which will last me longer??:?: :?: :?:

More about : e6300 3800

July 29, 2006 1:42:59 AM

Quote:
The E6300 setup would be better. In fact, I'm getiing a similar build soon. AM2 would be better with DDR800. If money is an issue, the 3800+ is good, but if you can spend more, go for the Core 2.

Nice, is there anything wrong to my rig? It's without the HD and op.drives.

Expt the power supply because its the only one around $70 that's modular and is well-known :p 
July 29, 2006 1:44:08 AM

Quote:
The E6300 setup would be better. In fact, I'm getiing a similar build soon. AM2 would be better with DDR800. If money is an issue, the 3800+ is good, but if you can spend more, go for the Core 2.

For the ram, it is 800mhz...
OCZ XTC 2gb PC6400 800mhz.... :p 
Related resources
July 29, 2006 1:52:03 AM

Quote:
Ah, I see.

BTW, where you find the $239 Conroe, since I live in Canada too. :) 

www.pcvonline.com
But the site is down atm. :p 
July 29, 2006 3:15:47 AM

The intel rig, definately!
July 29, 2006 2:28:10 PM

Quote:
The intel rig, definately!

Such an insightful post.
July 29, 2006 2:31:36 PM

The choice is really up to you k-. The Core2 system right now will be a bit faster, but in the long run the Am2 system will be more upgradable.

AMD has said that all AM2 boards will be able to accept the new 65nm dual core CPUs in December and the quad cores in 2007 with only a BIOS update. Some won't require anything changed at all. When the 65nm AMD CPUs come out in December, the Core2 vs AM2 battle will be much tighter.

Intel wins right now, just like AMD won for the past 2 years. Either system is great, it just all depends on what you want to use it for and how you see the upgrade path in the future shaping up. If you want to use it 2-3 years without touching it, probably go Core2. If you would upgrade it when new AMD chips come out- go AM2.

Intel has not promised the quad core CPUs will run on all Core2 boards, so its up in the air.
July 29, 2006 5:03:57 PM

I thought about going Conroe, but seeing how it would cost alot more, and the 6300 offers about the same performance over the x2 3800+ at stock speeds. I'm upgrading from a Socket A 2000+ so any cpu I get will give me a really faster rig.

The prices cuts of AMD, combined with the motherboards priced DECENTLY will make it for me. No way I would spend something like 200 more only to get a stupid processor.
July 29, 2006 7:10:05 PM

DOOD, YOU SHULD GET CONORE BECASUE ITS FASTER THAN THE FASTEST AMD PROC OUT THERE!!! AMD IS T3H 5UXX0RZ!!1 ITL BEET AN FX62 CAUSE CONORE IS KING AND AMD SUX!!!1!ONE

This has been a public service announcement from your local so-fanboy-they're-mentally-retarted institute.

Really, the preformance difference isn't real big, and the price difference isn't huge either. You'll get around the same price/preformance with both, maybe a bit better with the am2, you just have to think long and hard about do you want to spend that 150 bucks more to get a core 2 duo, or do you want to save that 150 bucks for later on, either way is a good one. Another thing to think about is, which do you like better, which company do you think sucks less. Another thing is you don't have to get the super high preformance ddr2-800 ram for the core 2 duo, you can get ddr2-667 if you like. They'll both last you a long time so the choice is yours, which do you want more.

Oh also, do you already have a case/hard drive/optical drive(s)? If not, then you may want to look into that, lol. You may find yourself in a bit of a pickle if you don't.

*edit*

You might later on want to invest in aftermarket cooling for overclocking, they really do help. The AMDs normally come with pretty good heatsinks, they've even got heatpipes in them and such, and I don't know about the Intel ones since I've never used an Intel boxed heatsink, but I heard they're not really good, but Core 2 Duo doesn't use as much power as the AMD, so that offsets it a little bit. Aftermarket cooling will be nice for later on, since it takes a while to understand the limits of your board and processor, and since you're upgrading from Socket A, you'll need to do quite a bit of reading to understand how k8 works if you chose that path, with all its htt and somethinglink multiplier and such. You probably wont get to the limits of your proc for a little while, hopefully by then you've got enough spare change to get yourself a nice Typhoon or CNPS9500 or whatever else people use that doesn't suck.
July 29, 2006 7:20:39 PM

Yeh, I already have a HD and optical drives.
I was looking for a case but could'nt really decide which one?

suggestions? I'd really like a SFF case from Lian-Li but, i can't find any places that sells the product in Canada.

SFF suggestions please expt Qpack or Microfly.
July 29, 2006 9:07:34 PM

You can get tons of stuff for pretty cheap at www.ncix.com. That's where I get all my computer needs. They're based right in Vancouver BC, only a hundred miles from where I live, and they've got pretty good prices and they don't try to screw you over. I'm sure you could find a nice Lian Li case if you wanted. If you really want to go all out on a case, you might want to have a look at the Antec P180. There are two revisions, the silver is the first, and the black is the second. The black one, although it isn't all sexy silver like, is structurally a bit better than the silver and has a few things changed which were felt as slight problems on the first. It's a super quiet case, and very well ventilated, a good case to have if you want to spend the money on it, I'll be getting one. I'm sure you'll find a good case if you just look around for a bit.
July 29, 2006 10:02:03 PM

Quote:
You can get tons of stuff for pretty cheap at www.ncix.com. That's where I get all my computer needs. They're based right in Vancouver BC, only a hundred miles from where I live, and they've got pretty good prices and they don't try to screw you over. I'm sure you could find a nice Lian Li case if you wanted. If you really want to go all out on a case, you might want to have a look at the Antec P180. There are two revisions, the silver is the first, and the black is the second. The black one, although it isn't all sexy silver like, is structurally a bit better than the silver and has a few things changed which were felt as slight problems on the first. It's a super quiet case, and very well ventilated, a good case to have if you want to spend the money on it, I'll be getting one. I'm sure you'll find a good case if you just look around for a bit.

I did look at ncix and carefully went over all of it and didnt find any SFF case that i liked...
August 3, 2006 10:43:33 AM

Ultra Microfly is the best budget case out there for m-atx. Bigger than the Q-pack and you can fit a 7950. I don't like 'tigerdirect', but there the only place that have it
August 5, 2006 3:08:01 PM

hahahah..
conroe even 6300 blows an 4000+ and more ....
August 5, 2006 3:16:22 PM

as you an see from the link above ..the 6300 murders an 3800+
August 5, 2006 5:05:55 PM

I'd recommend the E6300. Core 2 Duo all the way! Check this review if you want more opinions - Budget PC Build
!