changing from Workgroup to Domain

Hi,

I have a Win2000 Adv. Serv. installed as a member of a workgroup and now I
want to change it to become a domain, How can I do that? In the My Computer
proterties, the button "Network ID" is inactive. Thanks

Frank
2 answers Last reply
More about changing workgroup domain

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 16:46:27 -0600, "Maher Shwaiki" <frank673@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a Win2000 Adv. Serv. installed as a member of a workgroup and now I
    >want to change it to become a domain, How can I do that? In the My Computer
    >proterties, the button "Network ID" is inactive. Thanks
    >
    >Frank

    If this is the first domain controller in a new domain, run DCPROMO.

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    I assume you mean that you want to create a new domain? If so, you want to
    run dcpromo to promote a server to a domain controller. Here is an article
    to start with:

    238369 HOW TO: Promote and Demote Domain Controllers in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=238369

    --
    Emmers Presson [MSFT]

    "Maher Shwaiki" <frank673@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Win2000 Adv. Serv. installed as a member of a workgroup and now I
    > want to change it to become a domain, How can I do that? In the My
    > Computer
    > proterties, the button "Network ID" is inactive. Thanks
    >
    > Frank

Domain Microsoft Servers Windows