$800 for an AMD Gaming system would appreciate advice please

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Gaming
  • AMD
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2006 1:56:31 AM

I have not built a system for 7 years or so and have not kept up with the changes.

From reading some here it looks like the AMD 64 X2 3800 is the current CPU of choice, please correct me if I am wrong (but please no Holy wars - I am Intel / AMD Nuetral, both work, just depends on bang for the buck at the time)

Please recommend the major components for a good stable gaming system.

Motherboard and RAM combo (I compleatly don't understand whats going on with RAM these days:) 

Good Video card Nvidia preferred for Oblivion all out, etc...

Sound? (I use to always get boards without sound and put in a soundblaster, is this still the case? or is onboard sound finally good enough to use for gaming?)

HD I guess will be decided by the connectors on the board recommended is it SATA all the rage now?

CD/DVD...

Case & PSU.

Monitor? Are the LCD's OK for Serious Gaming?

I don't think I can afford it may have to use an old CRT I have laying around for a while unless there is a really good deal...

And thanks for taking the time, I know I am asking folks to pick my parts for me, but you folks are the experts right now, you do this everyday, I have not for a long while.

The wife is surprisingly open to the new system as long as I can keep it at $800 ( later upgrades not counted of course:) 

So I have to strike while the iron is hot! This is a cry for help!

Thanks

More about : 800 amd gaming system advice

July 29, 2006 2:02:21 AM

Conroe's the way to go.

I'm tried so i'll just tell you waht you should get.

Core 2 Duo E6600
an Asus or Gigabyte mobo (975X for oc and 965 for stability)
Corsair 2gbs of DDR2 880mhz
For Oblivion, I'd recommand X1900XT over 7900gtx.
a good air flow case (eg.Centurion 5)
and a fortron or seasonic or antec OR ocz of 500+w Power Supply

Onboard is good enough for gaming :p 
As long as the LCD is within 5ms, it's is good for gaming.

** Oh Man,,, I just saw that you are within $800 budget.... you won't be able to play oblivion that well but somewhat playable...

get a E6300 and a 7900gt and 2gb of ram
And keep everything else Really cheap.

:) 
July 29, 2006 2:06:25 AM

Quote:
Conroe's the way to go.

Core 2 Duo E6600

You think that'll fit into $800?

I just read it. I edited my comment before i saw ur post. :p 
Related resources
July 29, 2006 2:25:54 AM

Thanks for the start...

I couple of questions, do I have an upgrade path with this Conroe system to drop in another CPU and faster RAM later?

Also is that second CPU you mention the E6300 an Overclocker?

Thanks
July 29, 2006 2:32:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the start...

I couple of questions, do I have an upgrade path with this Conroe system to drop in another CPU and faster RAM later?

Thanks

Yes, a very good overclocker.
Its the lowest conroe available and is faster than X2 4600+ easily when overclocked or unoverclocked.

Since you are on a budget, you may want to get a conroe capable board, and get a pentium D910-930 to save some money and then upgrade later.
I still think you should get 2gb of ram though.

Since graphic cards matter more than the cpu in gaming, I think you should get that cpu and definately get a x1800xt or higher.
July 29, 2006 2:48:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the start...

Thanks

Yes, a very good overclocker.
Its the lowest conroe available and is faster than X2 4600+ easily when overclocked or unoverclocked.

Since you are on a budget, you may want to get a conroe capable board, and get a pentium D910-930 to save some money and then upgrade later.
I still think you should get 2gb of ram though.

Since graphic cards matter more than the cpu in gaming, I think you should get that cpu and definately get a x1800xt or higher.

That x1800xt is that ATI?.... How they doing with drivers these days, I remember chaos in the past.

Is Hyperthreading that big a deal? all new to me.
July 29, 2006 4:26:54 AM

Quote:
Conroe's the way to go.

Core 2 Duo E6600

You think that'll fit into $800?

Since I DID put AMD in the topic title.... do we have any AMD suggestions :) 

Or is everyone jumping ship for Intel Duo?
July 29, 2006 5:04:54 AM

I am not jumping the ship to Intel yet. Everyone is amazed by Intel's new CPU, which is no doubt the new performance champion. But, with AMD's recent price drops I just bought an athlon X2 3800+ at 150 bucks you are getting a great CPU for your money. Because I spent half of what I would have spent on a CPU I was able to afford a 7900GT, Gigabyte NForce 590 SLI motherboard, a gig of low latency DDR2-800 and a bad-ass watercooling setup from Danger Den! I spent about 1200 but 230 of that was the watercooling setup. I understand that Intel is the new performance champ and the CPUs are being introduced at a great price, but you cant beat a solid, proven Dual Core CPU that is the X2 3800+. Whats great about AM2 is that the CPUs are going to be compatable with AM3 boards. Athlon has always been friendly do the DIY community and I am not giving up on them. They kepy my patronage by reducing their CPU prices by over 40%... they know what the DIY crowd wants and they are still giving me just that. If you have room to spen 100-200 extra on a CPU go for Intel, Core 2 is awesome.... but for me 150-170 bucks for an Athlon X2 that has low thermals and will overclock like crazy and still leave me room to buy the important stuff for gaming (videocard, low latency ram, good WS LCD, watercooling) is amazing. If your budget is 800 I say go Athlon X2, if your budget is in the 1500 range I would be all about the Intel chip, its badass. In your case I would highly recommend an Athlon X2 3800+.
July 29, 2006 5:11:45 AM

Quote:
I am not jumping the ship to Intel yet. Everyone is amazed by Intel's new CPU, which is no doubt the new performance champion. But, with AMD's recent price drops I just bought an athlon X2 3800+ at 150 bucks you are getting a great CPU for your money. Because I spent half of what I would have spent on a CPU I was able to afford a 7900GT, Gigabyte NForce 590 SLI motherboard, a gig of low latency DDR2-800 and a bad-ass watercooling setup from Danger Den! I spent about 1200 but 230 of that was the watercooling setup. I understand that Intel is the new performance champ and the CPUs are being introduced at a great price, but you cant beat a solid, proven Dual Core CPU that is the X2 3800+. Whats great about AM2 is that the CPUs are going to be compatable with AM3 boards. Athlon has always been friendly do the DIY community and I am not giving up on them. They kepy my patronage by reducing their CPU prices by over 40%... they know what the DIY crowd wants and they are still giving me just that. If you have room to spen 100-200 extra on a CPU go for Intel, Core 2 is awesome.... but for me 150-170 bucks for an Athlon X2 that has low thermals and will overclock like crazy and still leave me room to buy the important stuff for gaming (videocard, low latency ram, good WS LCD, watercooling) is amazing. If your budget is 800 I say go Athlon X2, if your budget is in the 1500 range I would be all about the Intel chip, its badass. In your case I would highly recommend an Athlon X2 3800+.

How's the Gaming going to be with the latest games like Oblivion and stuff that will come out next year?

Will the Athlon X2 3800+ system keep up?
July 30, 2006 5:13:07 AM

It will definatly keep up. When your looking for gaming performance your money is best spent on a good videocard. By no means can you have a crap CPU but the X2 is not crap, its a great performer. When gaming having a mid-range cpu is acceptable. I promise your not going to notice the difference between the new intel chips and the 3800+ X2.... but you will notice the difference between a 6600GT and a 7900GT. A computer with the new intel chip and say a 6600GT is NOT going to get you the FPS that a X2 3800+ and a 7900GT is going to give you. So when building a budget gaming computer your money is better spent on a good videocard. So after all that, to answer your question YES the 3800 X2 will keep up in oblivion. If your worried about playing oblivion your going to need ATLEAST 256mb of video memory (on the latest GPU model by ATI or NVidia) and ATLEAST 1 gig of ram. Goodluck with your decision, remember this is just what I would do and this is mostly just opinion mixed in with facts and I am trying to give you the best advice possible. Hopefully other people will respond to your post and either agree or disagree with me so you can get a better feel for what to do. And I am sure this discussion has come up somewhere else on the forums and if you do some searching you can hopefully make an informed decision in yoru build! goodluck in your build buddy!
!