DirtMcgirt

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
My soyo board crapped out and i'm looking for the best Socket 754 board, price at most 60-70. I need it to have AGP and SATA support. Any suggestions? There are a ton of what look like clones on newegg and I know nothing about my own socket :p.

Thanks much.

Seifer

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
yeah grab this one Great OC and has PCI E affordable been doing me great...Outstanding onboard video and sound. To last you untl you get a new vid and audio cards. I know you want AGP but look time has moved on its getting hard to find AGP cards now a days. You may have one right now but it may go bad and your manufacturer may have a warranty on it and will supply you with a non agp because AGP isn't made by many companies anymore if it is at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128320

DirtMcgirt

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Thanks for all the replies, didn't expect so many so quickly. As for moving onto a PCI-E vga I'm well aware of AGP's age but I wasn't sure if it was worth it to spend 150 now on a 7600 gt or to wait a couple months when i upgrade to conroe to get maybe a 7900 gt. I have an athlon 64 3000+ right now along with an x850xl. Of course the 7600 is better but i don't see it as a big enough increase to warrant money I could spend later on for more. I'm not really interested in the deal on newegg not because it's not tempting but because i envisioned this as a 2-3 month fling while i have all the parts working. I suppose it's viable because really it's only $50 more and my 3000+ can be a backup. Oh and is it true that the nforce3 150 chipset has a bug and isn't compatible with SATA2 (even if you run it in SATA1)? That was the last hard drive detection failure my mobo had :p.

DirtMcgirt

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Friend has had his around a month, I was gonna get the EVGA "superclock" version. Unfortunately the 55 dollar board with both PCIe and AGP has no support for my card according to MSI, so I might go with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16813131512

Is it worth it to get the 3400/free mobo deal on newegg if my 3000 seems to be fine? I'll be using a socket 754 setup for at most 4 more months.

Thanks for all the help too. :D

PS: I only really play games. HL2, FEAR, Obliv, etc.

TRENDING THREADS