Sign in with
Your question

Can overclocking kill a Conroe?

Last response: in CPUs
July 29, 2006 2:23:55 AM

This came up in another thread

Quote:
The Core 2 will throttle back and shut down overclocking will not likely kill this CPU.

Its an intersting thought. Wouldnt that make this a foolproof overclockers CPU?

Peace[/quote]
July 29, 2006 2:46:37 AM

most CPU's not throttle off when they get too hot. there was a similar thread a couple of days ago which THG did a test by running the CPU with our the HSF. only the old CPu died. the new ones just throttled off..
July 29, 2006 2:49:16 AM

OCing stresses the CPU out of its suggested operating range, but if you have good cooling solution, dont push it too far, I dont see why the CPU wont last you a good 2 years.........

People say it will reduce it lifespan but people tend to follow CPU's market lifespan more often than the actual CPU lifespan so CPUs usually gets swapped with a new one before it dies anyway!!
Related resources
July 29, 2006 2:51:36 AM

Quote:

The Core 2 will throttle back and shut down overclocking will not likely kill this CPU.

Peace[/quote]

"Scotty I need more power!"

*In scottish accent*

"Sir I'm giv'n er every thing she got!"
July 29, 2006 2:58:43 AM

Quote:

Peace[/quote] eventually over time overclocking will kill any cpu. like everthing else electronic, cpu's have a lifespan and overclocking it will shorten its lifespan.
July 29, 2006 2:58:51 AM

Quote:
OCing stresses the CPU out of its suggested operating range, but if you have good cooling solution, dont push it too far, I dont see why the CPU wont last you a good 2 years.........

People say it will reduce it lifespan but people tend to follow CPU's market lifespan more often than the actual CPU lifespan so CPUs usually gets swapped with a new one before it dies anyway!!

yea Who really cares that by OC'ing you'll kill 90% of its life ...I mean seriously The people who are getting the Conroe’s right now are only getting them to over clock the craps out of and they will eventually throw them away in less than 2 years for the Quad cores or the Deca core (10) which one ever will be availed as the super extreme enthusiasts CPU and stay during 2010-2015
July 29, 2006 3:39:57 AM

I would be more worried about the mobo. I have seen more mobos go do to overclocking than cpu's.
July 29, 2006 3:41:16 AM

Well, if you're asking if overclocking can kill the CPU.. yes. But you have to try to kill the CPU.

If you modded your mobo to allow higher VCore (most mobos I know of cap out at 1.75V or so), and you pushed 2+ Volts, then there's a very good chance you will fry your CPU.

However, assuming you are even mildly cautious, no, overclocking will not kill your CPU. It may slightly shorten the lifespan (depending on how hard you overclock it). But as long as you keep the voltage "relatively" low (I wouldn't go above 30% of default vCore for 24/7 use), the difference in lifespan will be so low that it won't really matter.
July 29, 2006 3:51:11 AM

Quote:
OCing shortens the life to 2 years :o 

fu.cking rubbish. based on what??
July 29, 2006 3:56:18 AM

I hate to reply to myself, but while we're on the topic, I think it's important to bring up a common misconception.

Heat is not a big deal. Heat is only bad in the fact that, the higher the temps, the less you can overclock. But high temps - up to around 80° or so - are not inherently bad for the processor. They aren't good for it, certainly, but the effect on the lifespan of the processor is below negligble. I always laugh at the people that ask if their 56°C temperatures are "okay." Yes, they're perfectly fine.

The thing that really hurts the processor during overclocking is the voltage running through it. I'm sure JumpingJack, or someone similarly educated, can explain to you why. Mainly, it has to do with electromigration and other big words that I'm sure someone else can elaborate on. But unless you're doing extreme overclocking, and pushing your chip to it's limits, even these factors are relatively neglible in the lifespan of the processor.
July 29, 2006 3:59:50 AM

I thought only over volting can kill the CPU or physically damage it. Over volting was ment to keep the OC stable. Knowing its limit should be a top concern on an OC'ers priorities, as I learned from Northwood cores from links.

It would be nice to see links backing up what people say as far as just overclocking itself kills a CPU life span.
July 29, 2006 4:05:09 AM

Nicely said ethernalite. Even if you don't know all the raw data of why something happens, doesn't mean you can't explain what is going on in terms most people understand. Well done on the self-reply.
July 29, 2006 4:06:41 AM

Quote:
I thought only over volting can kill the CPU or physically damage it. Over volting was ment to keep the OC stable. Knowing its limit should be a top concern on an OC'ers priorities, as I learned from Northwood cores from links.

As far as I know (and I won't pretend to be an expert in terms of what is healthy for a processor and what isn't), you are correct. If you are simply upping the processor speed on stock voltage, there will be no damage above that of normal operation. (besides the increased heat output, but as I have said before, that is pretty much neglible).
July 29, 2006 4:08:37 AM

Put 2.0v on it and find out.
July 29, 2006 4:18:16 AM

Quote:
most CPU's not throttle off when they get too hot. there was a similar thread a couple of days ago which THG did a test by running the CPU with our the HSF. only the old CPu died. the new ones just throttled off..

Thanks for pointing this out. I clearly missed that test/thread. Gotta link for me?

Peace
July 29, 2006 4:21:13 AM

Quote:

Peace

You can take a clue from the Presler release. Presler is clocked up to 3.73 GHz on the 65 nm process and Intel will warranty that for 3 years. Clocked at 3.73 GHz the TDP is in the 115-120 range, thus as long as you meet Intel's power dissipation spec, the average CPU temperature, equivalent to Presler specs, then the 65 nm process that made the Conroe should allow it to survive roughly that long as a lower bound.

Another way of looking at it, Intel did not release Conroe at it's maximum potential becuase they are now marketing with a second vector in mind (power). If you recall, Intel made a whoopteedooo about dual core, underclocking, and power overall... that is by underclocking 20% you can get a 80% drop in power, and only lose about 10% overall performance on a multi core.

So the answer is, no, overclocking cannot kill a Conroe....as it is made on the same process with the same reliability engineering as Presler and Presler is stretched higher and survives just fine.

Jack[/quote]

Very interesting. Thats quite the trade, 20 % less speed for 80% reduction in power consumption. To bad detriot cant do the same for cars

Peace
July 29, 2006 4:21:26 AM

Quote:

OC'ing a chip does not shorten it's lifetime to 2 years, it depends on the amount of OC and most importantly, as you state, the core voltage you put on the device to achieve that OC. However, there is some componet to the clock, especially in the realm of charge trapping --- from what I have read though this is very minor and is overshadowed by the two biggies.

Thanks for your input, and thanks for correcting me on the increased clock at stock voltages part. I wasn't entirely sure about that, but I suppose the effects are pretty neglible anyway.
July 29, 2006 4:25:09 AM

Thanks JumpingJack. In my chemistry program there are two students currently working on their "Summer Senior Seminar" program in regards to dielectric compounds. Some of their testing involves CPU's and they have come up with some interesting information using other materials as opposed to SiO2. When the final journal is published I will post a link to our university's chemistry website. If you are into that kind of stuff it is fairly interesting. They should be done late October or early November.
July 29, 2006 4:26:04 AM

Quote:
Well, if you're asking if overclocking can kill the CPU.. yes. But you have to try to kill the CPU.

If you modded your mobo to allow higher VCore (most mobos I know of cap out at 1.75V or so), and you pushed 2+ Volts, then there's a very good chance you will fry your CPU.

However, assuming you are even mildly cautious, no, overclocking will not kill your CPU. It may slightly shorten the lifespan (depending on how hard you overclock it). But as long as you keep the voltage "relatively" low (I wouldn't go above 30% of default vCore for 24/7 use), the difference in lifespan will be so low that it won't really matter.

I wasnt thinking in terms of overclocking to kill. I was wondering if with Conroes throttiling, based on what FL said, you could even run the chip up to the point where it would fry. Throttling is different than a CPUs overheat protection that just shuts the chip down.

I equate it, perhaps incorrectly, to a rev limiter on an engine, which prevents the engine from reving beyond its redline, or some point below that.

Peace
July 29, 2006 4:44:48 AM

Quote:
OCing shortens the life to 2 years :o 

Would you please show me the reliability/burn in data that pushes the threshold dielectric breakdown or electromigration voiding to failure in under two years? Also, by what magnitude of OC would this two year limit make it?
no im not saying that, i shoulda put a question mark at the end
!