Subnet Problem

Dear All,

I have a very strange problem with my network. I have a client/server
network with DNS, DHCP and WINS enabled. My server is on 255.255.255.0.
However my machines are being assigned the subnet 255.0.0.0. I thought that
this subnet was being picked up from the router's DHCP. However the routers
DHCP is disabled. Please can anyone shead some light on what might be
happening?

Many Thanks,

John

John Barwell wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a very strange problem with my network. I have a client/server
> network with DNS, DHCP and WINS enabled. My server is on 255.255.255.0.
> However my machines are being assigned the subnet 255.0.0.0. I thought that
> this subnet was being picked up from the router's DHCP. However the routers
> DHCP is disabled. Please can anyone shead some light on what might be
> happening?

If workstations are getting IP addresses from DHCP and Your server is
only DHCP in this subnet then check Your scope configuration, maybe
there is a mistake in the subnet.
Or maybe on other server the DHCP is enabled ?

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

Hi Tomasz,

I have checked the DHCP scope configuration and there is nothing that seems
to be wrong with it. The computers were getting the right subnet when I
first installed the network. I haven't made any changes to the network
services. However I have installed a netgear FS526T. Nevertheless I cannot
see how this would effect the subnet that is being assigned from the DHCP.

Regards,

John
"Tomasz Onyszko" <T.Onyszko_nospam_@w2k.pl> wrote in message
> John Barwell wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have a very strange problem with my network. I have a client/server
> > network with DNS, DHCP and WINS enabled. My server is on 255.255.255.0.
> > However my machines are being assigned the subnet 255.0.0.0. I thought
that
> > this subnet was being picked up from the router's DHCP. However the
routers
> > DHCP is disabled. Please can anyone shead some light on what might be
> > happening?
> >
> If workstations are getting IP addresses from DHCP and Your server is
> only DHCP in this subnet then check Your scope configuration, maybe
> there is a mistake in the subnet.
> Or maybe on other server the DHCP is enabled ?
>

> --
> Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
> T.Onyszko@w2k.pl
> http://www.w2k.pl

I wonder if, in fact, the router's DHCP service is
disabled. Can you do an ipconfig/all to find out what
server the computers are getting their leases from?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have managed to resolve the problem now. It was a misconfigured DHCP.

Thanks,

John