new user can't access shared folders

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I added a new user to win2000 server and gave them rights to shared folders and drives, but when they log on they do not have access to them.

You did add them as a domain user correct? If you did, there is no reason
why this shouldn't be working assumuing they have the proper NTFS
permissions...

--------------------------
Andrew Hodes
MCP, MCSA, MOS

"Chris" <clapierre@ashlandelectric.com> wrote in message
> I added a new user to win2000 server and gave them rights to shared
folders and drives, but when they log on they do not have access to them.

"Chris" <clapierre@ashlandelectric.com> wrote in message
> I added a new user to win2000 server and gave them rights to shared
folders and drives, but when they log on they do not have access to them.

Users shouldn't be given rights or permissions unless absolutely necessary.
Users go into global groups, global groups go into local groups. Local
groups are given permissions.
UGLP

A right is not the same as a permission. You might give a group the right to
connect via a network, but the permission to access a given resource (Access
Control List - ACL).

You never stated whether NTFS is the file system, in which case security
applies both locally and over the network. So share security might be set to
Everyone-full control but the underlying NTFS file system security still
must be satisfied. The more restrictive of the 2 security levels applies
(Share vs NTFS). Basic NT4 101.

by the way, did you map the resource for the user?