new user can't access shared folders

I added a new user to win2000 server and gave them rights to shared folders and drives, but when they log on they do not have access to them.
2 answers Last reply
More about user access shared folders

    You did add them as a domain user correct? If you did, there is no reason
    why this shouldn't be working assumuing they have the proper NTFS
    permissions...

    --------------------------
    Andrew Hodes
    MCP, MCSA, MOS

    "Chris" <clapierre@ashlandelectric.com> wrote in message
    > I added a new user to win2000 server and gave them rights to shared
    folders and drives, but when they log on they do not have access to them.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    "Chris" <clapierre@ashlandelectric.com> wrote in message
    > I added a new user to win2000 server and gave them rights to shared
    folders and drives, but when they log on they do not have access to them.

    Users shouldn't be given rights or permissions unless absolutely necessary.
    Users go into global groups, global groups go into local groups. Local
    groups are given permissions.
    UGLP

    A right is not the same as a permission. You might give a group the right to
    connect via a network, but the permission to access a given resource (Access
    Control List - ACL).

    You never stated whether NTFS is the file system, in which case security
    applies both locally and over the network. So share security might be set to
    Everyone-full control but the underlying NTFS file system security still
    must be satisfied. The more restrictive of the 2 security levels applies
    (Share vs NTFS). Basic NT4 101.

    by the way, did you map the resource for the user?

Microsoft Servers Windows