directx 10 cards, realease dates?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
anyone heard anything about when the next generation of graphics cards will be Released? Ive had a quick look around the net and cant find any information on them, i was kind of hoping they would be realeased before windows vista came out.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Officially, the first DirectX 10 graphics chip to ship will be the Intel GMA X3000 in the G965 chipset.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=638462&starttime=0&endtime=0

This looks to be the first decent IGP from Intel with full hardware support for PS, VS, and T&L. Besides being the first DirectX 10 graphics chip to ship it'll also be the first PC chip with unified shaders. There look to be 8 unified shaders and supposedly GS mode for DirectX 10 will be activated by BIOS and driver once Vista ships. In the meantime, the GMA X3000's 667MHz speed and 8 unified shaders look to be faster than nVidia's upcoming 7300 based IGP and ATI's X700 based IGP, both of which only have 4 PS+2VS. The GMA X3000 will also beat both of them to market and should be able to reach speeds of the X1300 HM and possibly the vanilla X1300, which is pretty good company to keep. You'll have to cross your fingers for decent drivers though. (For interest, supposedly the PowerVR SGX architecture that the GMA X3000 is based on can do HDR with antialiasing just like ATI can. The GMA X3000 would probably be too slow to actually benefit from it, but it's still nice to have. I can see why AMD and ATI are worried since Intel seems to have a great graphics architecture in their hands if they ever want to get back in the discrete business.)

I'm sure your more interested in what nVidia has though. The G80 is scheduled for a September launch.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32385

September looks to be likely since it's already taped out and nVidia is continuing to use the 90nm process to save time. It'll probably mean a big, hot chip though.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33260

I haven't heard anything about mid and low-range products, but I would assume they are working on those as well.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i agree about the intel.

so where looking at the last few months of this year or the first few months of next year, thats pretty far away a directx 10 card is my next upgrade.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
so where looking at the last few months of this year or the first few months of next year, thats pretty far away a directx 10 card is my next upgrade.
Everyone is waiting on everyone else. Microsoft wants people to have DirecX 10 cards on the market so that their is an installed base already, but nVidia and ATI want Vista to be on the market in order to justify the effort they need to put into it. Now with Vista delayed to January or beyond, no one is feeling any pressure to release a DirectX 10 graphics card. Real DirectX 10 games are probably even farther behind since the target audience with both Vista and a DirectX 10 compatible graphics card is very small for the forseeable future.

As StrangeStranger said your graphics card should be fine for now.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Everyone is waiting on everyone else. Microsoft wants people to have DirecX 10 cards on the market so that their is an installed base already, but nVidia and ATI want Vista to be on the market in order to justify the effort they need to put into it. Now with Vista delayed to January or beyond, no one is feeling any pressure to release a DirectX 10 graphics card. Real DirectX 10 games are probably even farther behind since the target audience with both Vista and a DirectX 10 compatible graphics card is very small for the forseeable future.

As StrangeStranger said your graphics card should be fine for now.

If don't think ATI or nVidia will hold back their cards if there ready.
A lot of people, like me are building their systems this fall. If the
card is ready, I will buy it, vista here or not. The cards are suppose to
run DX9 faster. Plus, the first one to market, will get the people who
want to build now, and not wait for the other card. Plus, delaying the
cards will hurt the high end cards. Who will want to spend big bucks
on a non-DX10 card, not me.

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
will prices be similar to 7900GT for directx 10 cards? will there be like 8900GT and will directX10 by how much better?
this R800 or R600, what is this? should i wait till sept for it? i'm waiting for nvidia 570sli boards. i guess getting 2 7900gt's is pointless.
How much better will directX10 be? is everything at this point just speculation?

sorry but as always intel is stretching the truth, well a fair bit. yes it support dx10 and SM 4.0 im sure :roll: but it will nevere actually get a dx10 game of the ground.

Bah, you're crazy! It'll rock 640x480 like no other with all that DX10 goodness! :mrgreen:

if it does i'll eat my hat but considering it says it willl compare to a x1300. what is the point in making it.

Well really their reason to make it is because they can for so cheap (they make the chips not TSMC/UMC), and it will allow people to experience DX10 effects, and more importantly, support the vector based desktop version of Vista, which even the GMA950 will struggle with. It's definitely not a gamers card, but it will make the X1300/GF7300 series pretty much redundant, the same way the GMA900/950 nocked the R9200/GF4MX-FX5200 series out of the running in OEMs, heck the GMA965 probably did more to knock out the X300 in OEMs than anything nV threw at it.

Intel once again will simply suck the profitable marrow out of the bottom end, and leave little left for anyone else to fight over until ATi and nV step to the game a little late for the show. Intel usually becomes the office standard, and with no one else out there with a competing product this will havppen again, and likely they'll be able to get alot of the pre-built HTPC market because the GMA965/3000 will be capable enough to do HDTV resolutions, and basic gaming of the features turn way down kind. Heck for old CS:S and UT2K4 type of players it'll likely be good enough. Cuting edge gamers, not a chance, but then again that's not where the money is anyways.

Just glad they didn't use the "Exteme" moniker again but I would prefer they droped any mention of gaming in their literature, because some Kn0bs think that means QuakeWars or even worse Crysis/UT2K7 on it. 8O

Lathyl

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Quick noob question: Will DX10 obsolete the current cards, I mean if I bought a 7900 GTX now would that be stupid on the grounds that i will have to buy a new card as soon as vista is out.
Sorry its not (quite) on topic, but I bet this is preferable to me making a new topic :)

PorkyTheClown

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
will prices be similar to 7900GT for directx 10 cards? will there be like 8900GT and will directX10 by how much better?
this R800 or R600, what is this? should i wait till sept for it? i'm waiting for nvidia 570sli boards. i guess getting 2 7900gt's is pointless.
How much better will directX10 be? is everything at this point just speculation?

There will be a new Nvidia Card that supports Direct X 10. It's safe to assume it will be called the 8800 or 8900. I would not get a first generation Direct X 10 card as they are just like direct x 9 cards but with support for Direct X 10 and with some added clock speeds and features like unified shaders. In fact, the r600 (codename for ATI's first Direct X 10 card) only has 8 more shaders than the X1900 XTX (48 pixel + 8 vertex) and higher clock speeds. I'm gonna wait for cards with at least 128 shaders and support for Direct X 10.1

For example, two cards are identical in clock speeds and shaders units. The one with Direct X 10 support will be at least 6 times faster. Then again, the detail of the new games will bring FPS levels down to current cards.

PorkyTheClown

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
yes but you cannot compare the number of shader between this gen of hardware and unified shaders. so the r600 doesn;t have 8 more shaders than the 1900. the r600 can have all its shader for pixel shading or all of them for vertex or any combination it wants.

Yeah I agree with that and your quote.

mpjesse

Splendid
The next generation of cards seems to be the most logical time. Though Vista is now rumored for a 2H '07 release, DX10 is probably still on track. Cards can be DX10 compliant before DX10 is released. nVidia and ATI did the same thing w/ DX9.

Patfett

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I don't get why DX 10 cards are so hyped. It's not like any games will actually benifit from DX 10 for at least a year or more. Plus you have to have Vista from what I understand. I'd rather build a system today to prepare for a CPU,Vista,DX10 card upgrade in the future once those new standards have matured.

Patfett

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Well anyone knows that a new card will pefiorm better than the previous gen. Didn't think it needed be said since it already was.

It's just I see people suggest waiting for DX10 cards, "like it was the holy grail", to people, like me , who are looking for suggestions on new builds. It's not really explained that DX10 won't even be in use for a while and that you need Vista. Not very helpful to the uninformed who need a system now. I was going to wait on my system until I figured out I didn't really need to.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Well anyone knows that a new card will pefiorm better than the previous gen. Didn't think it needed be said since it already was.

It's just I see people suggest waiting for DX10 cards, "like it was the holy grail", to people, like me , who are looking for suggestions on new builds. It's not really explained that DX10 won't even be in use for a while and that you need Vista. Not very helpful to the uninformed who need a system now. I was going to wait on my system until I figured out I didn't really need to.
That's a good point. In addition, you're not going to want Vista until all most of the release bugs are worked out, which could be anywhere from 6 months to a year after it's release. Then, add to that the number of games and developers who will actually have games that use DX10, and it's hard to justify waiting that long to buy a card. Buying a 7900GT or an X1800XT now is probably the best option.

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
All current DX9 cards will run DX10, and Vista fine, just won't use latest graphical features.

Not true about DX10. Current DX9 cards will be unable to run DX10, as it must be built into the card's hardware. There will be a new version of DX9 released with Vista however, called DX9L.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
There will be a new version of DX9 released with Vista however, called DX9L.
I wonder why they didn't call it DirectX 9.1? DX9.0c could have probably been called DX9.1 too, considering it released a new SM. I always thought it was Microsoft favouring ATI for being their XBox 360 partner. By calling it DX9.0c instead of DX9.1, ATI's R420 series doesn't look quite so behind feature-wise.

Getting back on topic, does anyone know what DX9.0L adds? I think it's been lost in all the focus toward DX10. It's too bad ATI didn't add in it their upcoming 80nm GPUs. Obviously most are die shrinks so they wouldn't count, but the RV560 and RV570 were completely new designs so ATI could have easily added DV9.0L support, whatever that may be.

Codders

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Getting back on topic, does anyone know what DX9.0L adds?

The ability for a DX10 app to run on a DX9 card. Under DX9.0L all DX10 functions will be emulated using software routines.