Toolbar problem not fixed

Ok, the fixes I have recieved about my problem are always an IE fix though I
do not beleive this is an IE problem.

I have taken screenshots of the File Edit View optiond missing from IE and
my computer, they are missing from ALL WINDOWS NAVIGATION, not just IE

screenshot links:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/1.jpg

please please help me this is driving me crazy how something so simple could
stump me like this, I definately do NOT think this is IE related, but i NEED
help, thanks in advance.
12 answers Last reply
More about toolbar problem fixed

    Right click on an empty spot on your toolbar in Internet Explorer and choose
    "Customize", click the reset button.

    Andre
    "Alex Fox" <AlexFox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, the fixes I have recieved about my problem are always an IE fix though
    > do not beleive this is an IE problem.
    >
    > I have taken screenshots of the File Edit View optiond missing from IE and
    > my computer, they are missing from ALL WINDOWS NAVIGATION, not just IE
    >
    > screenshot links:
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/2.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/1.jpg
    >
    > please please help me this is driving me crazy how something so simple
    > could
    > stump me like this, I definately do NOT think this is IE related, but i
    > NEED
    > help, thanks in advance.

    nope, right clicking on the toolbar does not even bring up a menu at all. :(

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:55:27 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:

    > Ok, the fixes I have recieved about my problem are always an IE fix though I
    > do not beleive this is an IE problem.
    >
    > I have taken screenshots of the File Edit View optiond missing from IE and
    > my computer, they are missing from ALL WINDOWS NAVIGATION, not just IE
    >
    > screenshot links:
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/2.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/1.jpg
    >
    > please please help me this is driving me crazy how something so simple could
    > stump me like this, I definately do NOT think this is IE related, but i NEED
    > help, thanks in advance.

    From MVP Doug Knox:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_toolbarfix.htm

    A quote from that page: "This utility will allow you to quickly and easily
    restore the missing toolbars, menubars and add address bars in Windows
    Explorer and Internet Explorer. This utility is freeware."

    Your "menubar" is what's missing in your screenshots.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    "Sharon F" wrote:

    > On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:55:27 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:
    >
    > > Ok, the fixes I have recieved about my problem are always an IE fix though I
    > > do not beleive this is an IE problem.
    > >
    > > I have taken screenshots of the File Edit View optiond missing from IE and
    > > my computer, they are missing from ALL WINDOWS NAVIGATION, not just IE
    > >
    > > screenshot links:
    > > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/2.jpg
    > > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/1.jpg
    > >
    > > please please help me this is driving me crazy how something so simple could
    > > stump me like this, I definately do NOT think this is IE related, but i NEED
    > > help, thanks in advance.
    >
    > From MVP Doug Knox:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_toolbarfix.htm
    >
    > A quote from that page: "This utility will allow you to quickly and easily
    > restore the missing toolbars, menubars and add address bars in Windows
    > Explorer and Internet Explorer. This utility is freeware."
    >
    > Your "menubar" is what's missing in your screenshots.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    thank you for the reply, the fix however did not work, even after a reboot,
    does anyone know the default windows hotkeys to hide the "menubar"?

    or is there anything I can do in the registry to reinstate my menubar?

    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 15:07:03 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:

    > thank you for the reply, the fix however did not work, even after a reboot,
    > does anyone know the default windows hotkeys to hide the "menubar"?
    >
    > or is there anything I can do in the registry to reinstate my menubar?

    Sorry this did not work for you. It is usually effective for this problem.
    Perhaps the menubar is not missing but is hidden. Try right clicking the
    toolbar area and remove the check next to "Lock Taskbar." This will expose
    the boundary marker for each toolbar. You can "grab" these with the mouse.
    Hover the cursor over the boundary line until you see a double arrow. Then
    click and hold to latch on to the edge of the toolbar.

    From here you can try resizing the toolbars or drag each to its own line.
    If the menubar is hiding, it will appear as soon as it has the room to
    expand. -OR- start closing toolbars (View> Toolbars> click a selection to
    remove the check marks).

    If successful in uncovering the menubar, start adding your preferred
    toolbars back into the window. Resize each one as you go, being careful not
    to squeeze out the menu bar.

    Once arranged to your liking, lock the toolbar again to protect it from
    accidental rearranging.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Sharon F" wrote:

    > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 15:07:03 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:
    >
    > > thank you for the reply, the fix however did not work, even after a reboot,
    > > does anyone know the default windows hotkeys to hide the "menubar"?
    > >
    > > or is there anything I can do in the registry to reinstate my menubar?
    >
    > Sorry this did not work for you. It is usually effective for this problem.
    > Perhaps the menubar is not missing but is hidden. Try right clicking the
    > toolbar area and remove the check next to "Lock Taskbar." This will expose
    > the boundary marker for each toolbar. You can "grab" these with the mouse.
    > Hover the cursor over the boundary line until you see a double arrow. Then
    > click and hold to latch on to the edge of the toolbar.
    >
    > From here you can try resizing the toolbars or drag each to its own line.
    > If the menubar is hiding, it will appear as soon as it has the room to
    > expand. -OR- start closing toolbars (View> Toolbars> click a selection to
    > remove the check marks).
    >
    > If successful in uncovering the menubar, start adding your preferred
    > toolbars back into the window. Resize each one as you go, being careful not
    > to squeeze out the menu bar.
    >
    > Once arranged to your liking, lock the toolbar again to protect it from
    > accidental rearranging.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Thanks for trying to help me Sharon, I can unlock the taskbar at the bottom
    of my screen but it has no effect on toolbars in Explorer windows or IE
    windows, but I can manipu;ate the taskbar all i want. It seems like Ive
    hidden the Menubar and then locked it so i cannot recover it somehow, I have
    scanned fullt for browser hijackers and spyware with clean results. I am
    completely stumped as to what the problem could be.

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:07:04 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:

    > Thanks for trying to help me Sharon, I can unlock the taskbar at the bottom
    > of my screen but it has no effect on toolbars in Explorer windows or IE
    > windows, but I can manipu;ate the taskbar all i want. It seems like Ive
    > hidden the Menubar and then locked it so i cannot recover it somehow, I have
    > scanned fullt for browser hijackers and spyware with clean results. I am
    > completely stumped as to what the problem could be.

    Alex, the toolbars in an Explorer or Internet Explorer window can be
    locked/unlocked in the same manner as the desktop's taskbar. You took a
    wrong turn in following the directions I wrote and were unlocking the
    taskbar. Try again but this time unlock the toolbars in the windows where
    you're missing the menubar.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:22:33 -0500, Sharon F wrote:

    > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:07:04 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for trying to help me Sharon, I can unlock the taskbar at the bottom
    >> of my screen but it has no effect on toolbars in Explorer windows or IE
    >> windows, but I can manipu;ate the taskbar all i want. It seems like Ive
    >> hidden the Menubar and then locked it so i cannot recover it somehow, I have
    >> scanned fullt for browser hijackers and spyware with clean results. I am
    >> completely stumped as to what the problem could be.
    >
    > Alex, the toolbars in an Explorer or Internet Explorer window can be
    > locked/unlocked in the same manner as the desktop's taskbar. You took a
    > wrong turn in following the directions I wrote and were unlocking the
    > taskbar. Try again but this time unlock the toolbars in the windows where
    > you're missing the menubar.

    PS: I see that my directions may have misled you as well. Said to right
    click the toolbar area but then said to remove check from "Lock the
    Taskbar." That command will instead read "Lock the Toolbars."
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Has he tried changing from the Classic Start Menu to Start menu or vice
    versa under Start button, properties? Perhaps changing the look will shock
    something.

    Does it behave the same for all users? If only one user, make a new one and
    try.

    I am not a programmer, but aren't .dll files used for drawing boxes and
    stuff. Could one of those be corrupted?

    Clark

    > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:22:33 -0500, Sharon F wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:07:04 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for trying to help me Sharon, I can unlock the taskbar at the
    >>> bottom
    >>> of my screen but it has no effect on toolbars in Explorer windows or IE
    >>> windows, but I can manipu;ate the taskbar all i want. It seems like Ive
    >>> hidden the Menubar and then locked it so i cannot recover it somehow, I
    >>> have
    >>> scanned fullt for browser hijackers and spyware with clean results. I am
    >>> completely stumped as to what the problem could be.
    >>
    >> Alex, the toolbars in an Explorer or Internet Explorer window can be
    >> locked/unlocked in the same manner as the desktop's taskbar. You took a
    >> wrong turn in following the directions I wrote and were unlocking the
    >> taskbar. Try again but this time unlock the toolbars in the windows where
    >> you're missing the menubar.
    >
    > PS: I see that my directions may have misled you as well. Said to right
    > click the toolbar area but then said to remove check from "Lock the
    > Taskbar." That command will instead read "Lock the Toolbars."
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Alex,

    Type these commands in Start, Run dialog:

    regsvr32 /i shell32
    regsvr32 /i browseui
    regsvr32 /i shdocvw

    Restart Windows. If that does not help, run Sfc /Scannow and try the
    commands again.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Alex,
    >
    > Type these commands in Start, Run dialog:
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32
    > regsvr32 /i browseui
    > regsvr32 /i shdocvw
    >
    > Restart Windows. If that does not help, run Sfc /Scannow and try the
    > commands again.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Ramesh THANK YOU, at first i had an error when trying to run
    regsvr32 /i browseui so I did the scan and put in my XP CD did them all
    again with no errors rebooted and my menubar was back. thank you for the help
    Sharon and Ramesh its VERY much appreciated :)

    Glad you got this fixed. My initial thinking was to replace the browseui.dll
    and browselc.dll files.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Alex,
    >
    > Type these commands in Start, Run dialog:
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32
    > regsvr32 /i browseui
    > regsvr32 /i shdocvw
    >
    > Restart Windows. If that does not help, run Sfc /Scannow and try the
    > commands again.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Ramesh THANK YOU, at first i had an error when trying to run
    regsvr32 /i browseui so I did the scan and put in my XP CD did them all
    again with no errors rebooted and my menubar was back. thank you for the
    help
    Sharon and Ramesh its VERY much appreciated :)

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP