Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Toolbar problem not fixed

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 7:55:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Ok, the fixes I have recieved about my problem are always an IE fix though I
do not beleive this is an IE problem.

I have taken screenshots of the File Edit View optiond missing from IE and
my computer, they are missing from ALL WINDOWS NAVIGATION, not just IE

screenshot links:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/1.jpg

please please help me this is driving me crazy how something so simple could
stump me like this, I definately do NOT think this is IE related, but i NEED
help, thanks in advance.

More about : toolbar problem fixed

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 8:14:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Right click on an empty spot on your toolbar in Internet Explorer and choose
"Customize", click the reset button.

Andre
"Alex Fox" <AlexFox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:610E80FB-8A2F-47AC-B103-6B6DC5A26732@microsoft.com...
> Ok, the fixes I have recieved about my problem are always an IE fix though
> I
> do not beleive this is an IE problem.
>
> I have taken screenshots of the File Edit View optiond missing from IE and
> my computer, they are missing from ALL WINDOWS NAVIGATION, not just IE
>
> screenshot links:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/2.jpg
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/1.jpg
>
> please please help me this is driving me crazy how something so simple
> could
> stump me like this, I definately do NOT think this is IE related, but i
> NEED
> help, thanks in advance.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 9:41:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

nope, right clicking on the toolbar does not even bring up a menu at all. :( 
Related resources
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 6:50:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:55:27 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:

> Ok, the fixes I have recieved about my problem are always an IE fix though I
> do not beleive this is an IE problem.
>
> I have taken screenshots of the File Edit View optiond missing from IE and
> my computer, they are missing from ALL WINDOWS NAVIGATION, not just IE
>
> screenshot links:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/2.jpg
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/1.jpg
>
> please please help me this is driving me crazy how something so simple could
> stump me like this, I definately do NOT think this is IE related, but i NEED
> help, thanks in advance.

From MVP Doug Knox:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_toolbarfix.htm

A quote from that page: "This utility will allow you to quickly and easily
restore the missing toolbars, menubars and add address bars in Windows
Explorer and Internet Explorer. This utility is freeware."

Your "menubar" is what's missing in your screenshots.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 7:07:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:55:27 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:
>
> > Ok, the fixes I have recieved about my problem are always an IE fix though I
> > do not beleive this is an IE problem.
> >
> > I have taken screenshots of the File Edit View optiond missing from IE and
> > my computer, they are missing from ALL WINDOWS NAVIGATION, not just IE
> >
> > screenshot links:
> > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/2.jpg
> > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/Foxst0r/1.jpg
> >
> > please please help me this is driving me crazy how something so simple could
> > stump me like this, I definately do NOT think this is IE related, but i NEED
> > help, thanks in advance.
>
> From MVP Doug Knox:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_toolbarfix.htm
>
> A quote from that page: "This utility will allow you to quickly and easily
> restore the missing toolbars, menubars and add address bars in Windows
> Explorer and Internet Explorer. This utility is freeware."
>
> Your "menubar" is what's missing in your screenshots.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
>

thank you for the reply, the fix however did not work, even after a reboot,
does anyone know the default windows hotkeys to hide the "menubar"?

or is there anything I can do in the registry to reinstate my menubar?
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 1:17:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 15:07:03 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:

> thank you for the reply, the fix however did not work, even after a reboot,
> does anyone know the default windows hotkeys to hide the "menubar"?
>
> or is there anything I can do in the registry to reinstate my menubar?

Sorry this did not work for you. It is usually effective for this problem.
Perhaps the menubar is not missing but is hidden. Try right clicking the
toolbar area and remove the check next to "Lock Taskbar." This will expose
the boundary marker for each toolbar. You can "grab" these with the mouse.
Hover the cursor over the boundary line until you see a double arrow. Then
click and hold to latch on to the edge of the toolbar.

From here you can try resizing the toolbars or drag each to its own line.
If the menubar is hiding, it will appear as soon as it has the room to
expand. -OR- start closing toolbars (View> Toolbars> click a selection to
remove the check marks).

If successful in uncovering the menubar, start adding your preferred
toolbars back into the window. Resize each one as you go, being careful not
to squeeze out the menu bar.

Once arranged to your liking, lock the toolbar again to protect it from
accidental rearranging.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 10:07:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 15:07:03 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:
>
> > thank you for the reply, the fix however did not work, even after a reboot,
> > does anyone know the default windows hotkeys to hide the "menubar"?
> >
> > or is there anything I can do in the registry to reinstate my menubar?
>
> Sorry this did not work for you. It is usually effective for this problem.
> Perhaps the menubar is not missing but is hidden. Try right clicking the
> toolbar area and remove the check next to "Lock Taskbar." This will expose
> the boundary marker for each toolbar. You can "grab" these with the mouse.
> Hover the cursor over the boundary line until you see a double arrow. Then
> click and hold to latch on to the edge of the toolbar.
>
> From here you can try resizing the toolbars or drag each to its own line.
> If the menubar is hiding, it will appear as soon as it has the room to
> expand. -OR- start closing toolbars (View> Toolbars> click a selection to
> remove the check marks).
>
> If successful in uncovering the menubar, start adding your preferred
> toolbars back into the window. Resize each one as you go, being careful not
> to squeeze out the menu bar.
>
> Once arranged to your liking, lock the toolbar again to protect it from
> accidental rearranging.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>

Thanks for trying to help me Sharon, I can unlock the taskbar at the bottom
of my screen but it has no effect on toolbars in Explorer windows or IE
windows, but I can manipu;ate the taskbar all i want. It seems like Ive
hidden the Menubar and then locked it so i cannot recover it somehow, I have
scanned fullt for browser hijackers and spyware with clean results. I am
completely stumped as to what the problem could be.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 12:22:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:07:04 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:

> Thanks for trying to help me Sharon, I can unlock the taskbar at the bottom
> of my screen but it has no effect on toolbars in Explorer windows or IE
> windows, but I can manipu;ate the taskbar all i want. It seems like Ive
> hidden the Menubar and then locked it so i cannot recover it somehow, I have
> scanned fullt for browser hijackers and spyware with clean results. I am
> completely stumped as to what the problem could be.

Alex, the toolbars in an Explorer or Internet Explorer window can be
locked/unlocked in the same manner as the desktop's taskbar. You took a
wrong turn in following the directions I wrote and were unlocking the
taskbar. Try again but this time unlock the toolbars in the windows where
you're missing the menubar.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 12:36:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:22:33 -0500, Sharon F wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:07:04 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:
>
>> Thanks for trying to help me Sharon, I can unlock the taskbar at the bottom
>> of my screen but it has no effect on toolbars in Explorer windows or IE
>> windows, but I can manipu;ate the taskbar all i want. It seems like Ive
>> hidden the Menubar and then locked it so i cannot recover it somehow, I have
>> scanned fullt for browser hijackers and spyware with clean results. I am
>> completely stumped as to what the problem could be.
>
> Alex, the toolbars in an Explorer or Internet Explorer window can be
> locked/unlocked in the same manner as the desktop's taskbar. You took a
> wrong turn in following the directions I wrote and were unlocking the
> taskbar. Try again but this time unlock the toolbars in the windows where
> you're missing the menubar.

PS: I see that my directions may have misled you as well. Said to right
click the toolbar area but then said to remove check from "Lock the
Taskbar." That command will instead read "Lock the Toolbars."
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
October 11, 2004 7:40:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Has he tried changing from the Classic Start Menu to Start menu or vice
versa under Start button, properties? Perhaps changing the look will shock
something.

Does it behave the same for all users? If only one user, make a new one and
try.

I am not a programmer, but aren't .dll files used for drawing boxes and
stuff. Could one of those be corrupted?

Clark

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:uA39iKzrEHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:22:33 -0500, Sharon F wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:07:04 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for trying to help me Sharon, I can unlock the taskbar at the
>>> bottom
>>> of my screen but it has no effect on toolbars in Explorer windows or IE
>>> windows, but I can manipu;ate the taskbar all i want. It seems like Ive
>>> hidden the Menubar and then locked it so i cannot recover it somehow, I
>>> have
>>> scanned fullt for browser hijackers and spyware with clean results. I am
>>> completely stumped as to what the problem could be.
>>
>> Alex, the toolbars in an Explorer or Internet Explorer window can be
>> locked/unlocked in the same manner as the desktop's taskbar. You took a
>> wrong turn in following the directions I wrote and were unlocking the
>> taskbar. Try again but this time unlock the toolbars in the windows where
>> you're missing the menubar.
>
> PS: I see that my directions may have misled you as well. Said to right
> click the toolbar area but then said to remove check from "Lock the
> Taskbar." That command will instead read "Lock the Toolbars."
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 1:43:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Alex,

Type these commands in Start, Run dialog:

regsvr32 /i shell32
regsvr32 /i browseui
regsvr32 /i shdocvw

Restart Windows. If that does not help, run Sfc /Scannow and try the
commands again.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k


"Alex Fox" <AlexFox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:98ED2FA7-B4F5-453F-9A3A-30FC9A74C6F0@microsoft.com...


"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 15:07:03 -0700, Alex Fox wrote:
>
> > thank you for the reply, the fix however did not work, even after a
> > reboot,
> > does anyone know the default windows hotkeys to hide the "menubar"?
> >
> > or is there anything I can do in the registry to reinstate my menubar?
>
> Sorry this did not work for you. It is usually effective for this problem.
> Perhaps the menubar is not missing but is hidden. Try right clicking the
> toolbar area and remove the check next to "Lock Taskbar." This will expose
> the boundary marker for each toolbar. You can "grab" these with the mouse.
> Hover the cursor over the boundary line until you see a double arrow. Then
> click and hold to latch on to the edge of the toolbar.
>
> From here you can try resizing the toolbars or drag each to its own line.
> If the menubar is hiding, it will appear as soon as it has the room to
> expand. -OR- start closing toolbars (View> Toolbars> click a selection to
> remove the check marks).
>
> If successful in uncovering the menubar, start adding your preferred
> toolbars back into the window. Resize each one as you go, being careful
> not
> to squeeze out the menu bar.
>
> Once arranged to your liking, lock the toolbar again to protect it from
> accidental rearranging.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>

Thanks for trying to help me Sharon, I can unlock the taskbar at the bottom
of my screen but it has no effect on toolbars in Explorer windows or IE
windows, but I can manipu;ate the taskbar all i want. It seems like Ive
hidden the Menubar and then locked it so i cannot recover it somehow, I have
scanned fullt for browser hijackers and spyware with clean results. I am
completely stumped as to what the problem could be.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 8:35:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Type these commands in Start, Run dialog:
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32
> regsvr32 /i browseui
> regsvr32 /i shdocvw
>
> Restart Windows. If that does not help, run Sfc /Scannow and try the
> commands again.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k


Ramesh THANK YOU, at first i had an error when trying to run
regsvr32 /i browseui so I did the scan and put in my XP CD did them all
again with no errors rebooted and my menubar was back. thank you for the help
Sharon and Ramesh its VERY much appreciated :) 
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 1:18:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Glad you got this fixed. My initial thinking was to replace the browseui.dll
and browselc.dll files.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k


"Alex Fox" <AlexFox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3CB1B1D5-8052-42F4-A584-6027522ED70C@microsoft.com...


"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Type these commands in Start, Run dialog:
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32
> regsvr32 /i browseui
> regsvr32 /i shdocvw
>
> Restart Windows. If that does not help, run Sfc /Scannow and try the
> commands again.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k


Ramesh THANK YOU, at first i had an error when trying to run
regsvr32 /i browseui so I did the scan and put in my XP CD did them all
again with no errors rebooted and my menubar was back. thank you for the
help
Sharon and Ramesh its VERY much appreciated :) 
!