destroying my external HD. What will happen?

rman3349

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
If I pull apart my external HDD is there and chance i might find somthing useful that I could use inside my current system. What type of interface would it be?

Cabletwitch

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Most External HDD's are a standard ISE/SATA drive with a bridgeboard that changes the interface to USB or FireWire. You should be able to recover the drive, and use it internally as you would any normal HDD.

The bridgeboard doesnt do anything useful by itself, but theres the possibility of hooking a CD/DVD drive to it should you want to.

Personally, I'd just keep using it as an external drive. Why are you ripping it apart anyway?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
If I pull apart my external HDD is there and chance i might find somthing useful that I could use inside my current system. What type of interface would it be?

Yes, a paper weight. Opening a hd can be detrimental and will make the hd useless. But if you have something important in the hd which is broken, I believe theres a company that can retrieve data from broken hd. But if you just want to opened it then you'll find magnets to post stickies on the refrigerator. :)

sailer

Splendid
I'm going to guess that you mean the external enclosure and not the hdd itself. If you mean the hdd itself, then as Chuck said, you'll find some magnets, small frizbies, and a few bits of stuff that are now junk.

At the current price of hardrives, you'd probably be better off just buying a new hardrive to use inside your computer than to experiment with this drive. Leave the external hdd as it is. Sell it if you don't want an external drive, use it on another computer, whatever. In other words, just leave well enough alone. Unless you're just determined to play mad scientist.