Administrator password not accepted

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just got a message from Server when rebooted that Security Accounts Manager failed. Told me to boot into Directory Service Restore Mode. However when I do, it will not accept my Administrator password, or any we have used in the past. So, now I cannot get into the machine or get it to boot at all. Any suggestions?

Keep in mind that the DS Restore Admin password is the one chosen during
setup and has nothing to do at all with domain.

--------------------------
Andrew Hodes
MCP, MCSA, MOS

"Greg" <gregspearce@msn.com> wrote in message
> Just got a message from Server when rebooted that Security Accounts
Manager failed. Told me to boot into Directory Service Restore Mode. However
when I do, it will not accept my Administrator password, or any we have used
in the past. So, now I cannot get into the machine or get it to boot at all.
Any suggestions?

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

And this would be?......
Since I was not the one that set this up, I do not know what it could possibly have been. One would assume that the Administrator password would work in all fields. How do I go about finding out what the DS Restore Admin password is?
Thanks

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Was a good suggestion and I gave it a try, but sadly the customer has a Promise FastTrak100 card on there and that program does not seem to have the drivers for it. Other than that, it looked good.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

An update on your suggestion Jetro, "It Worked!" I took one of the mirrored drives off the Promise FastTrak100 and plugged it directly onto the motherboard IDE, then ran the program that would allow me to edit the local SAM. Discovered that the Administrator account was locked and disabled. Most strange that. However I can now boot into the machine in Directory Services Restore Mode. Now, I need to find a way to restore their Active Directory since they never thought to back it up to tape! Any ideas?

Is it single DC and what's wrong with SAM?

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When booting up normally, it is still producing the Security Accounts Manager failed and then requires you to reboot. When running Ntdsutil in DS Recovery Mode (recover or fix) it comes back with a Jet error (1030) and says DSInitializeJetDabase failed. I cannot find a way to recover the Active Directory or even repair it with a Jet error.

Suggestions?

I only guess this is the only DC <shrug>
Backup the NTDS.DIT and LOG files. Backup everything in the \winnt\ntds\
directory and delete all the log files. Restart NTDSUTIL, type "files" to
enter the file maintenance menu area. Type "repair". This attempts to repair
the database with any recoverable data by rewriting the database. Quit the
file maintenance and run the semantic analyzer by typing "semantic database
analysis" and then "go fixup". If the database is not recoverable then a
reinstall may be the next step.
Open new thread in active_directory groups.