Problems that might be associated with graphics card

UKK

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
My computer has been acting strange these past few weeks. When I am playing games (UT2004, Rainbow Six 3) the computer will do one of 2 things after a while. 1. It will freeze. This forces me to reset the computer. 2. It will dump me back to the desktop. But yesterday, something new. happened. I was playing RS3, and it went and restarted! On it's own! I came to the login screen. I log in, but as soobn as I get to the desktop, it restarts again. I reset it, and it starts normal. I log in, and it says "The system has recovered from a serious error." I looked at the error report, and it says that a hardware device caused it. Now before you ask, I checked for viruses, and my computer came up clean. I have never overclocked, and all my video drivers are up to date. But my video card is an ATI Radeon 9550. Someone awhile back told me those cards are kind of buggy. Also, I read something about the latest version of ATI drivers can cause CPU overheating, or something like it. So is it the video card? Or the drivers? Or something alse? Here are my computer specs

CPU: AMD Sempron 2,09 GHz
RAM: 1 Gigabyte
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9550
Sound Card: Realtek AC97 Audio

sailer

Splendid
THough I don't think this is a overheating problem, you can check temperatures to verify that. When it does the restart, just go into the BIOS and take a look at the readings, or you can get one of many downloads for checking tempts. To be safe, take a look at your cpu fan and make sure its still turning, and clean it if its dusty.

To me, this sounds more like a dying psu. It can't keep up enough power, so it either freezes or dumps out of the game. One other thing you can do is to roll back the drivers on the graphics card if you changed them shortly before the troubles started. If the troubles disappear, then viola, it was a driver probelm. If they stay, that confirms that the problem is elsewhere, like in the psu.

UKK

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
Never mind, it's still not working! This time it came back to the desktop and it said there was a "critical error". I copied it and pasted it here:

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-02-10_03.01]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2094 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: RADEON 9550 (6614)

General protection fault!

History: ProcessPartitions <- KWorldStepSafeTime <- KTickLevelKarma <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
Anyone know what that means???

4745454b

Titan
Download Speedfan or similar tool. Make sure your voltages are good. (this will also check temps, bios temps can cool to much.) I'm thinking powersupply problem or RAM. Try running memtest to check memory (www.memtest.org)