Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cingular Roaming On At&t

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 1:12:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I noticed that Cingular sent updated sim information in the last day or
so and at the time I didn't realize what it was. Today, I noticed that
my phone said "Cingular Extend" and my first reaction was something was
wrong with Cinuglar's network. I preceded to pull out my Nokia 6230 with
netmonitor to get more information. When I got it up, I saw that it was
on the At&t tower down the street. After driving around a bit I noted
what towers the phone was attached to. Here is the cool part, while I
drove around my phone attached to several AT&T's 850 and 1900 cells in
area where Cingular's coverage wasn't the best. I didn't get a change
to do much tested while I was on a 1900 cell, but while attached to the
850 cell I did place a few calls and test GPRS. Everything worked
perfectly. Looks like Cingular custoers can now roam on At&t. Too bad
we can't manually select it :-(

More about : cingular roaming

Anonymous
October 30, 2004 1:20:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On a side note, I can also now use my Cingular SIM card in my 6310i
phone that is a 1900mhz phone and it works fine when before I had no
coverage.

R.M wrote:
> I noticed that Cingular sent updated sim information in the last day or
> so and at the time I didn't realize what it was. Today, I noticed that
> my phone said "Cingular Extend" and my first reaction was something was
> wrong with Cinuglar's network. I preceded to pull out my Nokia 6230 with
> netmonitor to get more information. When I got it up, I saw that it was
> on the At&t tower down the street. After driving around a bit I noted
> what towers the phone was attached to. Here is the cool part, while I
> drove around my phone attached to several AT&T's 850 and 1900 cells in
> area where Cingular's coverage wasn't the best. I didn't get a change
> to do much tested while I was on a 1900 cell, but while attached to the
> 850 cell I did place a few calls and test GPRS. Everything worked
> perfectly. Looks like Cingular custoers can now roam on At&t. Too bad
> we can't manually select it :-(
>
October 30, 2004 1:45:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"R.M" <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote in message
news:4182B44A.8080608@usenetjunk.com...
> On a side note, I can also now use my Cingular SIM card in my 6310i
> phone that is a 1900mhz phone and it works fine when before I had no
> coverage.
>
> R.M wrote:
> > I noticed that Cingular sent updated sim information in the last day or
> > so and at the time I didn't realize what it was. Today, I noticed that
> > my phone said "Cingular Extend" and my first reaction was something was
> > wrong with Cinuglar's network. I preceded to pull out my Nokia 6230 with
> > netmonitor to get more information. When I got it up, I saw that it was
> > on the At&t tower down the street. After driving around a bit I noted
> > what towers the phone was attached to. Here is the cool part, while I
> > drove around my phone attached to several AT&T's 850 and 1900 cells in
> > area where Cingular's coverage wasn't the best. I didn't get a change
> > to do much tested while I was on a 1900 cell, but while attached to the
> > 850 cell I did place a few calls and test GPRS. Everything worked
> > perfectly. Looks like Cingular custoers can now roam on At&t. Too bad
> > we can't manually select it :-(
> >
>
one thing to note, it is easy to add the roaming option into your sim, but
hand off between the two networks won't happen for a while. If you are on
the ATTWS side and switch back to Cingular or vise versa you will drop the
call. Alpha tags will soon change to remove the 'extend' and there will be
one coverage map. You either get service or you don't. Get set to see sim
cards double in size from 32K to 64K to fit all that stuff in.
Related resources
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 10:15:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In <4182B28C.7000807@usenetjunk.com> on Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:12:48 GMT, "R.M"
<usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:

>I noticed that Cingular sent updated sim information in the last day or
>so and at the time I didn't realize what it was. Today, I noticed that
>my phone said "Cingular Extend" and my first reaction was something was
>wrong with Cinuglar's network. I preceded to pull out my Nokia 6230 with
>netmonitor to get more information. When I got it up, I saw that it was
>on the At&t tower down the street. After driving around a bit I noted
>what towers the phone was attached to. Here is the cool part, while I
>drove around my phone attached to several AT&T's 850 and 1900 cells in
>area where Cingular's coverage wasn't the best. I didn't get a change
>to do much tested while I was on a 1900 cell, but while attached to the
>850 cell I did place a few calls and test GPRS. Everything worked
>perfectly. Looks like Cingular custoers can now roam on At&t. Too bad
>we can't manually select it :-(

That must vary by area, because here in Northern California I've had no SIM
update and still cannot select ATT Wireless ("Registration Denied"), which is
unfortunate, because it has a much better signal where I am now than Cingular.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 11:15:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

well, that make perfect sense. In north carolina ATT wireless has
become suncom.

So all Att stores in NC are now Suncom stores.

Chip
>
> That must vary by area, because here in Northern California I've had no SIM
> update and still cannot select ATT Wireless ("Registration Denied"), which is
> unfortunate, because it has a much better signal where I am now than Cingular.
>
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 5:38:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:15:37 -0500, Ralph Blach
<rblach@NOSPAMintrex..XXXnet> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>well, that make perfect sense. In north carolina ATT wireless has
>become suncom.

Wasn't Suncom basically an AT&T reseller? (Sorry, I'm not from the
south, but I seem to recall a post about that some time ago.)
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 6:04:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>Wasn't Suncom basically an AT&T reseller?

Yup, mostly owned by AT&T WS too.

--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
November 1, 2004 2:37:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
news:vTQgd.2396$_3.30370@typhoon.sonic.net...
> In <4182B28C.7000807@usenetjunk.com> on Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:12:48 GMT,
"R.M"
> <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:
>
> >I noticed that Cingular sent updated sim information in the last day or
> >so and at the time I didn't realize what it was. Today, I noticed that
> >my phone said "Cingular Extend" and my first reaction was something was
> >wrong with Cinuglar's network. I preceded to pull out my Nokia 6230 with
> >netmonitor to get more information. When I got it up, I saw that it was
> >on the At&t tower down the street. After driving around a bit I noted
> >what towers the phone was attached to. Here is the cool part, while I
> >drove around my phone attached to several AT&T's 850 and 1900 cells in
> >area where Cingular's coverage wasn't the best. I didn't get a change
> >to do much tested while I was on a 1900 cell, but while attached to the
> >850 cell I did place a few calls and test GPRS. Everything worked
> >perfectly. Looks like Cingular custoers can now roam on At&t. Too bad
> >we can't manually select it :-(
>
> That must vary by area, because here in Northern California I've had no
SIM
> update and still cannot select ATT Wireless ("Registration Denied"), which
is
> unfortunate, because it has a much better signal where I am now than
Cingular.
>
> --
> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

How can you tell if your Sim has been updated? And how can you get to any
hidden menus on a Motorola v220?

Thanks.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:13:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <2un72oF2chc12U1@uni-berlin.de> on Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:37:43 -0500, "Alan"
<alan@erols.com> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>news:vTQgd.2396$_3.30370@typhoon.sonic.net...

>> That must vary by area, because here in Northern California I've had no SIM
>> update and still cannot select ATT Wireless ("Registration Denied"), which is
>> unfortunate, because it has a much better signal where I am now than Cingular.

>How can you tell if your Sim has been updated?

My Sony Ericsson Z600 gives me a message. Don't know if your Motorola does.

>And how can you get to any
>hidden menus on a Motorola v220?

Can't help you there -- sorry.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
November 2, 2004 4:49:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"R.M" <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote in message
news:4182B28C.7000807@usenetjunk.com...
> I noticed that Cingular sent updated sim information in the last day or
> so and at the time I didn't realize what it was. Today, I noticed that
> my phone said "Cingular Extend" and my first reaction was something was
> wrong with Cinuglar's network. I preceded to pull out my Nokia 6230 with
> netmonitor to get more information. When I got it up, I saw that it was
> on the At&t tower down the street. After driving around a bit I noted
> what towers the phone was attached to. Here is the cool part, while I
> drove around my phone attached to several AT&T's 850 and 1900 cells in
> area where Cingular's coverage wasn't the best. I didn't get a change
> to do much tested while I was on a 1900 cell, but while attached to the
> 850 cell I did place a few calls and test GPRS. Everything worked
> perfectly. Looks like Cingular custoers can now roam on At&t. Too bad
> we can't manually select it :-(
>

I can't say if my SIM was updated or not, but I can say that a known dead
spot now has 4 or 5 bars and Cingular Extend showing. One other spot I need
to check on...
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 10:45:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <20041031220452.02596.00002943@mb-m13.aol.com> on 01 Nov 2004 03:04:52 GMT,
sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

>>Wasn't Suncom basically an AT&T reseller?
>
>Yup, mostly owned by AT&T WS too.

Nup -- Suncom is the retail brand of Triton PCS, a public company only 17%
owned by AT&T Wireless prior to the Cingular merger.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
!