Sign in with
Your question

Best Fan Cooler For Pentium 805D!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 29, 2006 3:18:04 PM

wondering what is the best cooler for a pentium 805d? not going with water cooling... tq guys :D 
July 30, 2006 12:57:06 AM

Price? Zalman 9500 is very good, Scythe has many good models, Arctic Cooling vertical coolers should be considered. Best all around is none other than the Tuniq Tower 120, though.

~Ibrahim~
July 30, 2006 1:49:49 PM

got 9500 led today.. install it with 805D... runs hot... idle 50c load 70c... my motherboard is Asus P5P800 SE....
Related resources
July 30, 2006 2:23:28 PM

Quote:
got 9500 led today.. install it with 805D... runs hot... idle 50c load 70c... my motherboard is Asus P5P800 SE....

wow that is hot ! how high are you OCed ? Im using the stock cooler and run about that temp at 3.6Ghz ! Hmmmm maybe the push down things are not pushed down all the way ? (I dont mean to imply you dont know how to install a cooler its just a sugestion lol) Thats the biggest complaint I have about the new Intel coolers (untill I got my 805 the last things I have worked with where the northwood based coolers and they are alot easyer....)
July 30, 2006 3:24:47 PM

These temps seem to hot for Zalman. I have the temps 52c idle, 64c Load with the stock cooler and no oc'ing. I have decided to buy the Scythe Ninja with Artic Silver 5.
August 1, 2006 2:03:03 AM

The problem with most or all coolers mentioned is that, while cooling the CPU chip just fine, they ignore the secondary cooling aspect of the Intel cooling spec and reference design: airflow blowing over the MB in all directions outward from the CPU. This is necessary to cool hot components (mainly VRMs and related) placed around the CPU socket.
I have been unable to find an aftermarket 775 cooler that is quieter and/or cools better than the Intel OEM cooler while still providing this airflow -- any suggestions?
August 1, 2006 8:17:10 AM

I think Zalman Cools the mobo VRM
August 1, 2006 8:20:05 AM

August 1, 2006 8:24:40 AM

August 1, 2006 3:45:01 PM

I've seen very few CPU coolers that will cool anything, but the CPU. On the top of my head, I can only think of the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (AMD-Only, though there is an Intel Version):

If you look at the last bottom fins, you'll see they are bent downwards to cool whatever you have in that area. Is that something like what you are talking about?

~Ibrahim~
August 2, 2006 1:27:54 AM

I've got the Intel version (the Freezer 7 Pro) and it's got the same 3 curved fins. That's got 2 problems: (1) The 3 fins divert only a tiny fraction of the total airflow, certainly not enough to cool the HS on some of the VRMs on my NI8 SLI board; (2) The curved fins only point in one direction, and my board, at least, has more modules that need to be cooled off to the side.
The various monster "flower"-style Zalmans like the CNPS7700 should work, but from what I can tell, they would have fitment issues on my MB/case (Super Lanboy), so I haven't taken that plunge yet.
I'm experimenting with various combinations of small fans and add-on HS and will post photos on the monster NI8 thread when I have some results. I think I can keep the add-ons to $25 or less, which when added to the $50 MB keeps things cheap like they should be.
Right now, I'm also fighting on the RAM front, as my Ballistix DDR2-800 won't allow the board to POST, although a stick of Corsair XMS2-667 works fine. I recently found out that Corsair is ABIT's testing/certification partner, so the results don't surprise me as much now; Crucial will swap out the Ballistix for their latest revision, so I'm hoping that'll solve the problem (which seems to be an SPD problem rather than an actual memory chip problem).
August 2, 2006 1:48:30 AM

Ah, so the fins are more of a gimmick that actually doing something? Interesting...Good luck with your memory issue!

~Ibrahim~
August 3, 2006 7:56:10 AM

I would get Tuniq Tower 120 or Thermaltake Sonic Tower and 3 high speed 120mm fans. I think that can cool anything.
August 3, 2006 9:24:30 AM

Quote:
I've seen very few CPU coolers that will cool anything, but the CPU. On the top of my head, I can only think of the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (AMD-Only, though there is an Intel Version):

If you look at the last bottom fins, you'll see they are bent downwards to cool whatever you have in that area. Is that something like what you are talking about?

~Ibrahim~

I have the intel version and it does treat with the CPU but doesnt seem to help at all with the motherboard.
CPU: Idle - 35C Load 55C
Mobo: Idle - 45C Load - 60C

Getting good thermal paste helps alot as well.
August 3, 2006 2:52:47 PM

I see. Great point on the TIM. Zalman makes the *best* thermal baste, forget Arctic Silver.

Just look how much better it is compared to Arctic Silver Ceramique:

Review

Knocks 8C off!

~Ibrahim~
!