virtual computer object in active directory

We are trying to enable Kerberos on an cluster. KB302389 says that there should be a virtual server computer object that was created when we created the cluster and cluster user, however I don't see the virtual server in our Active Directory.
Should I be able to see a virtual server computer object in Active Directory?

The cluster is on Windows 2000 Advanced Server and we have recently added a Windows 2003 Domain Controller to a Windows 2000 Domain controller.

Thanks for your time.

You need to have 2003 cluster servers. If you look at the "The information
in this article applies to" section of the article, you'll see that it only
applies to 2003.

Regards,
John

"dreihs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are trying to enable Kerberos on an cluster. KB302389 says that there
should be a virtual server computer object that was created when we created
the cluster and cluster user, however I don't see the virtual server in our
Active Directory.
> Should I be able to see a virtual server computer object in Active
Directory?

> The cluster is on Windows 2000 Advanced Server and we have recently added
a Windows 2003 Domain Controller to a Windows 2000 Domain controller.

> Thanks for your time.

That makes sense, however the original article that describes how to enable Kerberos for "Windows 2000-based server clusters", KB 235529, says to use KB302389. KB 235529 specifically states at the bottom that the article applies to Windows 2000 advanced server. If I shouldn't use KB 302389 because it doesn't pertain to my O/S, why would the Microsoft KB article reference it? No confrontation here, just trying to do what I'm supposed to do to get it to work.

Thanks for your time.
dreihs

----- John Toner [MVP] wrote: -----

You need to have 2003 cluster servers. If you look at the "The information
in this article applies to" section of the article, you'll see that it only
applies to 2003.

Regards,
John

"dreihs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are trying to enable Kerberos on an cluster. KB302389 says that there
should be a virtual server computer object that was created when we created
the cluster and cluster user, however I don't see the virtual server in our
Active Directory.
> Should I be able to see a virtual server computer object in Active
Directory?
>> The cluster is on Windows 2000 Advanced Server and we have recently added
a Windows 2003 Domain Controller to a Windows 2000 Domain controller.
>> Thanks for your time.

If you've manually set the private properties of your cluster resources
using the settings described in KB 235529, then your virtual servers will
appear in Active Directory. This has to be done for each Network Name
resources that you want listed in AD. If you do not set the private
properties (default) then these will not be listed in AD.

cluster res "network name resource" /priv requirekerberos=1:dword

Don't forget to take the resource offline before applying these properties
and online afterwards for the change to take effect.

> That makes sense, however the original article that describes how to
enable Kerberos for "Windows 2000-based server clusters", KB 235529, says to
use KB302389. KB 235529 specifically states at the bottom that the article
applies to Windows 2000 advanced server. If I shouldn't use KB 302389
because it doesn't pertain to my O/S, why would the Microsoft KB article
reference it? No confrontation here, just trying to do what I'm supposed to
do to get it to work.

> Thanks for your time.
> dreihs
>
> ----- John Toner [MVP] wrote: -----
>
> You need to have 2003 cluster servers. If you look at the "The
information
> in this article applies to" section of the article, you'll see that
it only
> applies to 2003.
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> "dreihs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are trying to enable Kerberos on an cluster. KB302389 says that
there
> should be a virtual server computer object that was created when we
created
> the cluster and cluster user, however I don't see the virtual server
in our
> Active Directory.
> > Should I be able to see a virtual server computer object in Active
> Directory?
> >> The cluster is on Windows 2000 Advanced Server and we have
recently added
> a Windows 2003 Domain Controller to a Windows 2000 Domain controller.
> >> Thanks for your time.

Dear Dreihs,
This is going to sound really weird but that is my maiden name and I
was doing a google search for my father's family name and ironically
you have the same name as him. He just last year passed away and my
brother I thought was the last John Dreihs left alive. I wouild really
like to talk to you and see if there is any family connection. Thanks
so much for your time. Sincerely,
Krissy Dreihs Heeg

--
kdreihs