high elf mage constantly getting totally blind

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

started my third game as by the time I get to the neverine trial the
games locks up much too frequently. Choose a high elf mage this time
but cant seem to get the boots of blinding speed to work, I made a
100% magicka resistant for 1 sec item as per last game but my
character still stays blind when the boots are equipped I guess this
is due to the 50% weakness to magicka? I could try to make a constant
50% resistant to magicka item if I ever get the cash but I dunno if
it'll even work. When I cast resist magicka before using the enchanted
item the effect doesn't seem to accumulate, the next spell seems to
cancel the last one. Anyone found a work around? turning gamma up
doesn't make any difference everything in totally black, well except
for the small map screen in bottom RH corner.
Also still cant work out the way to ensure 5x multiplier when
levelling up, the guide I found was confusing to me.

rickmx@dingoblue.net.au (Rick) wrote in message news:<29a2b11e.0410172244.11641540@posting.google.com>...
> started my third game as by the time I get to the neverine trial the
> games locks up much too frequently. Choose a high elf mage this time
> but cant seem to get the boots of blinding speed to work, I made a
> 100% magicka resistant for 1 sec item as per last game but my
> character still stays blind when the boots are equipped I guess this
> is due to the 50% weakness to magicka? I could try to make a constant
> 50% resistant to magicka item if I ever get the cash but I dunno if
> it'll even work. When I cast resist magicka before using the enchanted
> item the effect doesn't seem to accumulate, the next spell seems to
> cancel the last one. Anyone found a work around? turning gamma up
> doesn't make any difference everything in totally black, well except
> for the small map screen in bottom RH corner.
> Also still cant work out the way to ensure 5x multiplier when
> levelling up, the guide I found was confusing to me.

Hmm. sometimes 1 second is too short (as if the game adds +/- 1 sec).
Or, it could be the high elf weakness. If you work on speed a bit,
you won't need the boots of speed.

How to level up with high multipliers depends on which version of the
game you have, as it was changed. For the pc game in its later forms,
you divide the total number of skill points you've earned in an
attribute by 2. So, if you have gone up 5 in long sword and 5 in
axe--both of which add to strength--you can get a x5 level up in
strength. Misc. skills learned from books do not count towards level
up, however.

If you have the original pc game or an x-box game, then misc skills
learned from training also do not count towards attribute bonuses.

Major and minor skills always count towards bonuses, no matter how
they are lea4rned.

> started my third game as by the time I get to the neverine trial the
> games locks up much too frequently. Choose a high elf mage this time
> but cant seem to get the boots of blinding speed to work, I made a
> 100% magicka resistant for 1 sec item as per last game but my
> character still stays blind when the boots are equipped I guess this
> is due to the 50% weakness to magicka? I could try to make a constant
> 50% resistant to magicka item if I ever get the cash but I dunno if
> it'll even work. When I cast resist magicka before using the enchanted
> item the effect doesn't seem to accumulate, the next spell seems to
> cancel the last one. Anyone found a work around?

The engine will only apply each effect once... but then, you can use two
effects. You can create spells with exactly same effect - but with different
names - and they will stack.

However, I think spell effect from items stack with spells... or maybe your
1 sec duration is not long enough for you to wear the boot and have the
speed and blinding effect kicked in. Try 3 seconds.

Rick wrote:

> started my third game as by the time I get to the neverine trial the
> games locks up much too frequently. Choose a high elf mage this time
> but cant seem to get the boots of blinding speed to work, I made a
> 100% magicka resistant for 1 sec item as per last game but my
> character still stays blind when the boots are equipped I guess this
> is due to the 50% weakness to magicka? I could try to make a constant
> 50% resistant to magicka item if I ever get the cash but I dunno if
> it'll even work. When I cast resist magicka before using the enchanted
> item the effect doesn't seem to accumulate, the next spell seems to
> cancel the last one. Anyone found a work around? turning gamma up
> doesn't make any difference everything in totally black, well except
> for the small map screen in bottom RH corner.
> Also still cant work out the way to ensure 5x multiplier when
> levelling up, the guide I found was confusing to me.

One other thing to try is to use Night Eye and see if that helps.