Sign in with
Your question

Your help and Opinions would be good.

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2006 2:51:43 PM

I could do with a few opinons please. What would you do in this situation. I have the following spec home built tower
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2gb DDR400 Ram
Nvidia Gerforce 6600GT (AGP)
ASUS A8V Deluxe Mobo
2 x DVD Burners
3 HDD totaling 300+gb
420w PSU

The situation I have is as follows, I also have been given, yes given for free, an HP Proliant ML110 G3 server specs as follows:
Intel Pentium 4 3ghz
1GB RAM
2 x SATA 80GB RAID0
350W PSU

Although it is a server it does have a PCIe x16 slot spare therfore I have the chance to jump on the PCIe band wagon at only the cost of a Better graphics card instead of changing mobo, cpu and so fourth not only that but it's actually a smaller case than my current system anyway.
I plan to use this as my new PC and hand the AMD system down to the boy although I will be taking both burners and I plan to purchase an Nvidia 7900GT I know I would also have to buy a sound card to go with it but what would you do? not only that do you think I will need to upgrade the PSU also?

Any thoughts please?

More about : opinions good

Related resources
July 30, 2006 3:36:45 AM

If you're only interested in gaming, then putting a 7900GT card in the P4 server would be better than the 6600GT or a 7800GS AGP in the AMD box. But the server has less RAM, a smaller PSU, and a slower CPU than the AMD box. Why not just buy a 7800GS AGP card for the AMD box? It will be cheaper than buying a new card + new PSU + more RAM (Does the server have DDR2?) for the server and be faster in all but the highest resolutions, to boot.
July 30, 2006 3:43:28 AM

Quote:
If you're only interested in gaming, then putting a 7900GT card in the P4 server would be better than the 6600GT or a 7800GS AGP in the AMD box. But the server has less RAM, a smaller PSU, and a slower CPU than the AMD box. Why not just buy a 7800GS AGP card for the AMD box? It will be cheaper than buying a new card + new PSU + more RAM (Does the server have DDR2?) for the server and be faster in all but the highest resolutions, to boot.

Well if he did this that would leave 1 good computer and one terribal computer(for gaming)
Then he wouldn't have anything decent for his son
July 30, 2006 3:50:59 AM

That is true. Then if he wants two good computers for gaming, then why not buy a 7800GS for the AMD box and a new PSU, 1GB RAM, and a 7800x or 7900x PCIe card for the P4? That would make two good gaming computers. However the AMD unit is at the end of the line unless a new mobo is sourced for it that has PCIe x16 slots in it (read: an nForce 4 board.)
July 30, 2006 3:57:30 AM

Yes that would be the best thing to do
That is IF he wants to spend enough money for a 7800gs and 7900gt+PSU+maybe RAM

and that is a big IF
August 9, 2006 7:31:33 PM

Recall, the ML110G3 x16 is x16 physically only. It is a x8 electrical slot at least per the HP documentation. However, can you run a graphics card at x8 in a x8 electrical (x16 mechanical) slot? Will the server CS shut it down?
!