Sign in with
Your question

Computer restarts in quake 4!! Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2006 5:28:43 PM

My computer restarts when I encounter an extremely demanding situation in quake 4 with all settings maxed out.

I have:
x1800x 512
p551 3.4ghz
1gb ddr400
450wOkia PSU
IDE HD
5 Fans
1 DvdRw drive

So I have a couple of concerns. First and foremost, my system is stable during alot of other games, and there are no problems. When I set everything to max in quake 4, during high stress situations, the machine restarts. It only happens during quake 4. Temps get hot, but read 70C after a crash.

Can anyone let me know if it's just that I have an insufficient power supply, and if so, is running the x1800xt bad for the card as such?

Thanks!
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2006 5:53:40 PM

Could be heat related. You can have twenty fans, but how they push, and draw air, is what counts. Also, a lousy case can have an effect

But, having said that..................

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

That powwer supply is a cheap piece of junk. Don't want to insult you in any way. The amperage isn't up to par either.

It would be okay for an older machine with components that have less demand.

Make sure you have all the updates for the game. updating all your drivers might not be a bad place to start either. but I still think it's the psu.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2006 5:56:45 PM

Quote:
My computer restarts when I encounter an extremely demanding situation in quake 4 with all settings maxed out.

I have:
x1800x 512
p551 3.4ghz
1gb ddr400
450wOkia PSU
IDE HD
5 Fans
1 DvdRw drive

So I have a couple of concerns. First and foremost, my system is stable during alot of other games, and there are no problems. When I set everything to max in quake 4, during high stress situations, the machine restarts. It only happens during quake 4. Temps get hot, but read 70C after a crash.

Can anyone let me know if it's just that I have an insufficient power supply, and if so, is running the x1800xt bad for the card as such?

Thanks!

Update to latest vid drivers, or different driver. Hope this helps.
Related resources
July 29, 2006 6:07:35 PM

Like badge said, update all drivers.

But it's your power supply, you can get a goof FSP Fortran Source power supply for about $50, which would be a great improvement over your current one.
July 29, 2006 7:38:01 PM

Quote:

450wOkia PSU

There's the problem. Thats brand is one of those cheapgumball machine power supplies that come free with your case.

Talk about an unsteady, unclean current :roll:
July 29, 2006 8:05:32 PM

There are a couple of reasons that you could be rebooting. Of course, as the others have suggested, heat is often a frequent concern and may very be the cause.

In scanning various forums about your PSU I've noticed alot of complaints concerning rebooting and shutting down with respect to the Okia 450. At first glance it is ok as far as specs - dual 12v rail at 15 & 18 amps. It may be that your GPU is overwhelming a rail when setting quake to max settings. I do know that quake 4 is used in gaming benchnmarking so it is an intense game. Have you tried playing quake 4 on alightly lesser settings and see how your system handles it?
July 29, 2006 9:26:17 PM

I have tried reducing the settings, however it hasn't had much of an effect. Even when I try running it with an open case + box fan and AC it's rebooting, and the temps are really not that bad, from what I've read. I guess when it gets hardcore the load is just too much for the PSU. Thanks everyone, Much appreciate.
July 29, 2006 10:01:55 PM

70°C after restart is too hot, because it's already dropped down by at least 4-5°C.
Provide better cooling, first of all with a better case.
July 30, 2006 3:22:56 PM

Quote:
There are a couple of reasons that you could be rebooting. Of course, as the others have suggested, heat is often a frequent concern and may very be the cause.

In scanning various forums about your PSU I've noticed alot of complaints concerning rebooting and shutting down with respect to the Okia 450. At first glance it is ok as far as specs - dual 12v rail at 15 & 18 amps. It may be that your GPU is overwhelming a rail when setting quake to max settings. I do know that quake 4 is used in gaming benchnmarking so it is an intense game. Have you tried playing quake 4 on alightly lesser settings and see how your system handles it?

My PSU is now dead. It shot some flames and sparks around for a few seconds before I could shut it down while maxed out in quake again. Unfortunately, I now get to buy a power supply to see if my entire rig is dust. Hopefully, nothing got damaged, but I'm going to keep temps monitored. Does coolermaster make good PSUs?
July 31, 2006 9:59:04 AM

I went out and got an antec 550 HE, and it's running my machine pretty well, though I'm nervous to run quake 4 because I don't want flames to shoot out of my power supply again!

Wish me luck!
July 31, 2006 10:42:26 AM

I've been running Quake 4 on my TP2 550W and it's fine 90% of the time. Had some problems with the game always crashing at the same spot when I loaded from a particular save game but when I load to an earlier save game and replay to the same spot, it tends to be ok.
July 31, 2006 11:08:01 AM

Quote:
Wish me luck!

Good luck, I hope all goes well.
July 31, 2006 11:11:24 AM

Your overclocking your system... scale it back, get a better PSU, get your self a real case, do away with all those damn fans. If your case is large and well designed you will need no more than 2-3 fans.
July 31, 2006 11:49:57 AM

Just out of curiosity, what other games do you run that work fine?

And the Neo HE is a pretty nice unit, albeit a little expensive for 550W. How much did you pay for it?
July 31, 2006 1:36:47 PM

Quote:
My PSU is now dead.

:lol:  Dude, you should have listened. When the PC works fine 95% of the time but shuts down and reboots when under severe stress it is almost always the PSU not delivering enough power.

Your video card requires a PSU of certain output. Not sure what it is for your video card but ATI recommends, for example, a 450Wt PSU (check what exactly is recommended for your card).

Then, when buying a new PSU, check the box for detailed specifications. Make sure that the PSU Continuous Output (also called Sustained Output) is at least equal to what is recommended by ATI. Maximum (or Peak) output may be greater than recommended but this number is irrelevant for your purposes.
July 31, 2006 3:54:38 PM

It was my GPU at 70C. Btw, I had my computer restart randomly again. I'm not sure why, because it wasn't under any particular strain. I thought for sure the antec would be fine. Any ideas?
July 31, 2006 4:21:48 PM

It restarted again?

Odd. I'd check in Event Viewer (Start, Programs, Admin. Tools, Event Viewer or Ctrl+Alt+Delete, File, New Task, Eventvwr.exe.). Also want to turn off automatic restart. Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced, Settings under Startup and Recovery, uncheck automatically restart.

I'd also check your PSU rails, though they should be stellar. Go into your BIOS, something about Power or voltages? Note what it says next to 12V.

~Ibrahim~
July 31, 2006 4:59:58 PM

I have everest professional edition, and it says all of the voltages are fine, but is there a way to guarantee accuracy without an external voltmeter/ameter?
July 31, 2006 5:59:49 PM

The BIOS is usually the best you can get without an external device. So the rails seem to be OK...What did it say in Event Viewer?

~Ibrahim~
July 31, 2006 9:05:22 PM

I'm actually working right now, so I haven't yet had an opportunity to examine what is says in the event viewer yet. I've done alot with PC's, but never messed with the power supply. Could the problem be I've only got 20 of 24 pins for my motherboard plugged into the main power? My last supply had only 20 pins total plugged into my 24 pin slot, and I read that the extra 4 wires will double the 12v capacity. Is that true? Is this why it restarts at times?
July 31, 2006 9:55:28 PM

Quote:
My PSU is now dead. It shot some flames and sparks around for a few seconds
8O

Plug in the extra 4-pin connector.

And just as a precaution, inspect your motherboard's capacitors with the help of a flashlight. Make sure none of them are leaking or corroded.
July 31, 2006 10:57:06 PM

Download SiSoftware Sandra. (They have free versions. I know that some older free versions have a lot of powerful features. Not sure about newer versions. You will have to read up on this.) Then do the following:

First, run the Performance Tune-Up Wizard. It will tell you which parts of your system (both software - including Windows services - and hardware) are not configured optimally. Correct the problems as per Sandra's recommendations;

Second, run Sandra's Brun-In Wizard. If any of the components in your machine fail the Burn-In test you will get usable info re: the rasons why they failed. Take it from there.

Be advised that Burn-In Wizard takes a long time - up to two hours, maybe longer. Be patient.

Third, your new PSU seems fine. Antec makes very good products. It it is highly unlikely that the reboots are caused by the PSU.

Checking the event log and your voltages via BIOS and all that other stuff people suggested, including examination of capacitors is okay. But somehow it seems to me that it is a RAM problem.

Download and run MemTest (I think they have it in the download section at www.guru3D.com ). You will have to create a bootable floppy and start your PC with it. Leave MemTest running overnight. If any of your sticks are bad you will get a report in the morning.

If MemTest is still running after 8 hours or so and displays no errors - your RAM is fine.
August 1, 2006 12:09:54 AM

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type SMSC EMC6D103 (SMBus 2Eh)
GPU Sensor Type National LM64 (ATI-I2C 18h)
Motherboard Name Intel D915GLVG / D915PLWD / D915PSY

Temperatures
Motherboard 49 °C (120 °F)
CPU 59 °C (138 °F)
Aux 49 °C (120 °F)
GPU 63 °C (145 °F)
GPU Ambient 58 °C (136 °F)
GPU VRM 64 °C (147 °F)
Seagate ST3120026A 35 °C (95 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1643 RPM
Chassis 964 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.18 V
+1.5 V 1.50 V
+3.3 V 3.32 V
+5 V 4.95 V
+12 V 12.00 V

Does this seem hot for an idle system?
August 1, 2006 3:36:07 AM

Your CPU is too hot (about 10 degrees C - or 20% hotter than it should be). Moreover, those are idle temps.

If your CPU is not overclocked then there may be a problem with your CPU fan. See if your motherboard has a readout for your CPU fan speed and monitor it for 10-15 minutes. If the fan speed fluctuates widely you must replace it.

If your CPU fan is spinning at slower RPM than it is rated for – you must replace it.

Keep in mind that most motherboards have a CPU shutdown threshold temp and WILL shut down/reboot the machine (unless the option is disabled in the BIOS) if the CPU temp exceeds the threshold temp (about 85C). Since you are idling at 60C I can see your CPU going over 85C under stress.

If none of the above applies, do run Sandra and MemTest apps.

EDIT: Your CPU fan seems way too slow. I am not sure what you have there. If it is a stock fan it may be rated for that. My CPU fan, for example, blows hard at 5000 RPM and I have a HUGE copper 360 heat sink.
August 1, 2006 4:56:06 PM

Quote:
Temperatures
CPU 59 °C (138 °F)

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.18 V

Those idle temps do seem warm even for a Prescott, but how hot is it in your room? I remember reading on the forums that a lot of people didn't have their LGA775 heatsinks installed properly causing the CPU to get too hot. I would review the instructions on how to install the heatsink/fan unit and re-install it. Follow the instructions to the letter. And make sure to clean off any old thermal material and replace it with new thermal material. Most people recommend Arctic Silver 5, but they all work sufficiently. Make sure to follow the directions to the letter on installing that as well.

I also noticed that your voltage seems a bit low. According to Intel the voltage should be between 1.25-1.4V. However, adding voltage will create more heat at this point.
August 1, 2006 5:58:37 PM

I think the fan is either stuck on low or it isn't functioning properly. 1.6k doesn't seem fast enough...

I was wondering to the voltage as well, seems a lot lower, but, as mentioned, will increase temperature if we set it at default.

Wow, 60C idle at reduced voltage. Can not be good.

~Ibrahim~
August 1, 2006 6:49:00 PM

Alright, I'm beginning to think the problem is that the room where my PC is is just too hot right now in the midst of quad tripple digit temps with humidity indices @120. It's air conditioned, but it's still pretty damn warm. I'm going to take the computer somewhere where it is definitely not too hot.
August 1, 2006 6:57:23 PM

Ah yes, we have forgotten about the ambient temperature. It might be because of that. Kind of mean, though, don't you think? The computer works only in the winter, a sign that computers are getting too hot.

~Ibrahim~
August 1, 2006 7:25:08 PM

Well... Quake sucks memory like.... ehmm
I think that you should increase the RAM, 1GB is not enought for quake4.

Also make sure that the DVD door is open so that it refresh the content.

If your computer restart might be because of the heat and the high temperature of those summer days.

My advice is to go to the pool, or whatever... and enjoy life, because Quake4 is not that great.

If you really want to play... then play FEAR.

That's all about it.
August 1, 2006 7:32:26 PM

Hehe, pool! I live a block from a lake, in LAKE county! Hehe. But yeah, I gotcha. Quake 4 was the reason I decided to buy the x1800xt; I couldnt' run it with my PCI radeon 9200 SE 128mb :p . Didn't work out too well. Fear is on my short list, but I'm going to get my system stable before I begin it.
August 1, 2006 7:59:04 PM

I think that FEAR runs much better than QUAKE4.

With my PC quake4 is almost impossible to play, the memory is always close to ZERO MB available. But FEAR goes well, no much problems and I still have 100 or 200 MB of free memory.

Quake4 needs only 2GB minimum to run without problems. FEAR runs great with 1GB of RAM.

You are lucky that you have the lake. I got a small pool that does not fit more than 3 people!
August 1, 2006 8:03:37 PM

Quote:
Quake4 needs only 2GB minimum to run without problems.

I don't believe that's true. I ran it with only 768MB at one point, and didn't have any problems as far as stability is concerned. If you can't run Quake 4 on a 7900GT with 1GB ram, something's wrong and it's not the amount of RAM you have.
August 2, 2006 12:01:44 AM

Ok, I can't run Quake4 at 1024x768 properly, the RAM goes down to ZERO.

If I play Quake4 at 800x600 is fine, but I can't play 1024x768 with only 1GB of RAM.

That's not about CPU or GPU speed is about the game that need memory and memory. I think that Quake4 sucks lot of memory. That's the only issue that I have with it.
August 2, 2006 12:22:17 AM

I'm sorry, but I think you have another problem. I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4600, a card that is back 3 generations, and I can run the Quake 4 Demo at 1024x768 with ease. Yes, many details are turned down, but it is playable. And I have 1GB of RAM. Just saying...

~Ibrahim~
August 2, 2006 12:35:21 AM

When I play 1024x768 quake4 is not smooth. It goes to load from the hard disk because it sucks all the memory. I don't know why. I might have the texturing and other details too high.

But I hope to upgrade from 1GB (2x500MB) to 3GB (2x500MB plus 2x1GB)

I am tired to have memory problem. And with my system the memory is becoming a bottleneck that is strangle my neck!
August 2, 2006 12:42:50 AM

Fair point, but I've had people with PSUs from quality manufacturers that melted their computers, and people with el cheapo PSUs that have lasted fine for years. Luck comes into it a lot, but I'd guess you don't have to be as lucky with a good brand.
August 2, 2006 1:46:39 AM

Again, I do NOT think it is the memory. Are you running too many processes?

Here is a review which got stellar results with a 7900GT w/ 1GB of RAM. They had the 512MB 7900GT, though.

CPU3D

Then there is another guy at nVidia forums who is running a 256MB 7900GT and having issues. If you read along, there is another person who mentions that he has the practically the same setup also with 1GB and is running fine.

NVIDIA Forums

I'd try another stick of 1GB, it might be it, but I don't think so.

~Ibrahim~
August 2, 2006 2:01:27 AM

I found this, too. But with 1.1 patch of course, and softshadows off, it still looked damn good on my x800pro. Quake never seems quite as smooth, yet it's FEAR that everyone seems to complain is the resource hog.
August 2, 2006 11:37:20 AM

I can't really comment...I went from 512MB to 2GB and I haven't played Quake 4. But I've played FEAR and Prey (Prey is based on the Doom 3 engine, so it has graphics similar to Quake but better...).

I agree with the general consensus, I think your RAM is not the problem, a GB is plenty good. And Quake is getting older. You must have other problems.
!