Sign in with
Your question

OverClocking AMD 64 4000+ San Diego !

Last response: in Overclocking
July 29, 2006 5:33:16 PM

Hi PC Masters , I Upgrade My CPU (3000+ Venice) To 4000+ (San Diego) :twisted: , & I Really Happy with the performance But I need your help boyz ...
can any one tell me how far can i push this CPU with out any additional voltage , Because i dont want to damage this new born beast ...
Can i reach 2700 or even 2800 , but i dont really care ... even 2600 is good enough for me !
i will be very thank full for any help & suggestion . I just want a good & safe overclock ... ( the stock clock is 2400 with 1Mb Cache )...
oh , and sorry for my bad english ! :oops: 
July 30, 2006 11:51:37 AM

any one ? :cry:  Please ...
July 31, 2006 6:21:08 PM

I was able to reach 2.9 with vcore set to 1.42 (my stock setting)
every cpu is different and hardware will also make a difference
memory will make or break your overclock.what setting are they at.

If you want to see what my question of the day is go here http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/pair-OCZ-PC-370...
Related resources
July 31, 2006 6:33:06 PM

I Have 4x512Mb KingMax PC3200 ( 2.5-3-3-7) i use the memory Divider & set them to 166MHz ... :( 
July 31, 2006 6:58:51 PM

Why don't you just try pushing it? You already have the processor.
July 31, 2006 7:04:12 PM

what HSF have you got on it. and you might have to up the voltages. just to 1.5, that will give you a speed of maybe 2.9 on air if u have good cooling. dont worry about putting more voltage thru it. its the same core as the 57fx. go on... do it.
July 31, 2006 7:06:47 PM

Get some really good ram such as corsair XMS or OCZ performance. That would allow you to OC alot without having to raise the vcore.
July 31, 2006 7:12:29 PM

Quote:
Get some really good ram such as corsair XMS or OCZ performance. That would allow you to OC alot without having to raise the vcore.

I don't see how good RAM will allow you to OC without having to raise the CPU voltage. Or do you mean the RAM voltage?

Good RAM means that you'll be able to overclock the memory higher without having to raise the memory voltage or loosen the timings.

As for overclocking the CPU, set the HTT to 4x, the RAM to 166MHz, and see how high you can get. Use Prime95 to test the stability and find the maximum temperature under load. It should run with no errors for at least 6 hours, and the maximum CPU temperature should be below 50C. You should be able to hit 2.8GHz+. Good luck!
July 31, 2006 8:25:40 PM

Quote:
Why don't you just try pushing it? You already have the processor.

Check This Out ... :cry:  :cry: 
Quote:
set the HTT to 4x, the RAM to 166MHz, and see how high you can get. Use Prime95 to test the stability and find the maximum temperature under load. It should run with no errors for at least 6 hours, and the maximum CPU temperature should be below 50C. You should be able to hit 2.8GHz+.

ThaX Ducky , But i try these options & i am so F***ed ... :cry:  :cry:  Look Here :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
August 1, 2006 9:23:08 AM

OK , I Finaly solve the problem with the help of some pro guys :D  (not from THG forumz :x )
i decrease the v-core to 1.45V ( they said that your V-core is too high ! 8O )
now here is the setup :
HTT Freq 4X , CPU Freq 225x12=2700MHz , NF4 Volt 1.55 , V-Core 1.45 , Memory Voltage 2.6 ( Default )
now here is another question :
my memory is now working at 185MHz ( memory divider from 200MHz to 166MHz , but now @ 225x12 , the memory is @ 185MHz )
i have 4x512Mb kingmax DDR400 , their timing is 2.5-3-3-7-2T
my question is can i use lower timing for my memory now that my memory is at 185MHz insted 200MHz ... ??
Please Help Guys , I Know that you can answer this ... :twisted:
& once again sorry for my Very bad english ( I`m Persian , its Natural :oops:  )
August 1, 2006 9:45:18 AM

1) Yes you could probably use better timings now that your RAM is running at a lower frequency.

2) If I were you I would find a way to get the RAM running at above DDR400 speeds. Whilst overclocking is about getting your processor to run faster, it's also about getting your RAM to go faster so that it can keep up. I think you'll get much better speed from your computer if you slow down the processor a bit and increse the speed of the ram to at least DDR412 or maybe DDR416. Even cheap memory is capable of that much.

3) If you're overclocking, leave the side of your PC case off for the moment to keep things a little cooler, it might save you melting some components. Use the BIOS or Windows utilities to monitor temperatures. I would advise keeping all components below 50 degrees C, even better if you can keep it below 45.

4) A nice heatsink/fan will help you get much safer overclocks out of your processor and will make it live longer. If you haven't already bought one, think very much about it, they're not very expensive, only the price of a couple of CDs.
August 1, 2006 12:07:11 PM

Quote:
If I were you I would find a way to get the RAM running at above DDR400 speeds. Whilst overclocking is about getting your processor to run faster, it's also about getting your RAM to go faster so that it can keep up. I think you'll get much better speed from your computer if you slow down the processor a bit and increse the speed of the ram to at least DDR412 or maybe DDR416. Even cheap memory is capable of that much.

Thanx , But I Prefer To Have a Better CPU ... 8)
Quote:
If you're overclocking, leave the side of your PC case off for the moment to keep things a little cooler, it might save you melting some components. Use the BIOS or Windows utilities to monitor temperatures. I would advise keeping all components below 50 degrees C, even better if you can keep it below 45.

The Side Of My PC is off already , as you can see in my signature , i have akasa EVO33 CPU Cooler,But My CPU`s Max Temp is 52 (62 With Stock Cooler) & Idle Temp is 40~42C , i know its a bit hot , but i cant get a better cooler right now , because i dont have any more Cash :oops: 
Quote:
they're not very expensive, only the price of a couple of CDs.

Hahaha ... the point is i live in some kind of 3rd world country in middle east , & there is no copy right law here , & i can buy 10DVD games for only 2~5$ :twisted:
But any way Thanx A Lot AndyAldrich , i owe you some ... :wink:
August 1, 2006 12:17:30 PM

Sorry For Double Post ... But Can anyone else tell me how much can i decrease the timing of my memory ??
i will be very thankfull for any help...
August 1, 2006 3:31:51 PM

Firstly, I can't really tell you what timings to use because every single RAM chip is different, just as CPUs, GPUs, SPUs and inevitably PPUs are batched off by how reliable the wafers are.

CAS 2.5 is pretty much average nowadays. If you can run at CAS 2.0 without any problems then I would stick with CAS2.0 and maybe slowly decrease the other settings, very gradually. Perhaps a good test would be to use WinRAR, that's pretty memory-intensive and would also show you how well your CPU overclock is going.

Each time you change the settings, write down all the previous settings including your DDR speed, CPU multiplier, CPU/RAM ratio and all the other timings, so if your computer hangs/crashes/won't start you can always clear the CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard and you'll have some better-than-stock speeds already at hand, because when you clear the CMOS it will usually go back to very basic (stock) speeds for everything.

Whilst it's good to have good RAM timings it's also important to remember that your RAM doesn't have its own fan, like your CPU does, so maybe don't leave it as high as you can go all the time, because during those times when you're just checking your email/browsing the web/word processing you don't need your PC to be a speed demon, you want it to be reliable so that you don't lose valuable data. Sorry to be a killjoy, but I'd rather tell you this now than you fry your RAM whilst just browsing some tomshardware forums.

On another note, if you're thinking of getting a really fast PC and are thinking of some Western Digital Raptors because they're supposed to be a lot faster, I would recommend you don't bother. I have 2 Raptor drives running in RAID 0 to make them as fast as possible and to be honest I wish I'd spent a similar amount on slower but larger drives. It's all very nice to reduce your load times in Doom 3 but I'd rather have had more disk space and not so many DVD-Rs lying around :) 

Might be getting a CPU exactly the same as yours soon, so I'll let you know what overclock I get out of it. All the best in your overclocking endeavours,
Andy Aldrich
August 1, 2006 4:16:11 PM

Wow Wow Wow ...,Andy Aldrich , you are a great help , I owe you some ... :D 
Quote:
On another note, if you're thinking of getting a really fast PC and are thinking of some Western Digital Raptors because they're supposed to be a lot faster

I will keep that in mind , thank you !
Quote:
Whilst it's good to have good RAM timings it's also important to remember that your RAM doesn't have its own fan, like your CPU does, so maybe don't leave it as high as you can go all the time, because during those times when you're just checking your email/browsing the web/word processing you don't need your PC to be a speed demon, you want it to be reliable so that you don't lose valuable data. Sorry to be a killjoy, but I'd rather tell you this now than you fry your RAM whilst just browsing some tomshardware forums.

So You Said that it is better for me to leave my memory timing @ 2.5-3-3-7 ??
and one last question is , what kind of performance increase i will reach , if i use some kind of CAS 2.0 insted of 2.5 ?
Thanks for all of your suggestions !
August 2, 2006 3:11:20 PM

I would try using CAS2.0 instead of 2.5 and see how it runs. Leave the 3-3-7 timings, increasing the speed from 2.5 to 2.0 is a nice jump anyway.

If your system is stable with 2.0 - 3 - 3 -7 then maybe try 2.0 - 3 - 3 - 6

If your RAM is unhappy when running at CAS2.0 then try 2.5 - 2 - 2 - 6

If you find that any of these settings give you trouble then just stick with 2.5-3-3-7

My advice is this: if you can't afford a new heatsink for your CPU then you really don't want the unnecessary expense of buying new RAM. Find the maximum speed that you can push your RAM to, then only use those timings when you want to play some games or do video encoding for a long period of time, otherwise leave it stock to extend the life of your memory.
August 2, 2006 3:53:57 PM

Thank You AndyAldrich ... I Really Owe You Some ... :D 
OK , I Think I Leave the timing at 2.5-3-3-7 . i dont want to hurt my memory ... i`m really happy with my system`s performance , i dont think i need the extra performance of CAS2.0 !
one more thing is i changed the speed of my CPU cooler ( akasa Evo33 ) from low to medium & my CPU temp is now under 50c on heavy load ... maybe i should use high speed ... any way thank you very much AndyAldrich :twisted:
!