Windows Moblie 2003 backup utility - Dell Axim

December 16, 2004 2:12:40 PM

Does anyone know if there is a utility to open / read / restore the .dbk
file that is created when you do a backup with the DataBackup utility that
is under Programs on Windows Mobile 2003 for the Dell Axim. I have called
Dell and they say they don't know of a utility (pardon me while I look
shocked).
They passed the buck to Microsoft. So if anyone know of a utility let me
know.
Thanks

/ejk
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 2:22:37 PM

Hello,

..dbk is a dBase extension. dBase should be able to open and read the file
but I'm not sure about the restore aspect.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor

"ejk" <ejknight@charter.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there is a utility to open / read / restore the .dbk
> file that is created when you do a backup with the DataBackup utility that
> is under Programs on Windows Mobile 2003 for the Dell Axim. I have called
> Dell and they say they don't know of a utility (pardon me while I look
> shocked).
> They passed the buck to Microsoft. So if anyone know of a utility let me
> know.
> Thanks
>
> /ejk

December 16, 2004 2:45:08 PM

I'm going to try that next.. BUt I don't have any confidence that I can get
the data out.
"Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote in
message news:uWZdVP54EHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> .dbk is a dBase extension. dBase should be able to open and read the file
> but I'm not sure about the restore aspect.
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "ejk" <ejknight@charter.net> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know if there is a utility to open / read / restore the .dbk
>> file that is created when you do a backup with the DataBackup utility
>> that is under Programs on Windows Mobile 2003 for the Dell Axim. I have
>> called Dell and they say they don't know of a utility (pardon me while I
>> look shocked).
>> They passed the buck to Microsoft. So if anyone know of a utility let me
>> know.
>> Thanks
>>
>> /ejk

Related resources
December 16, 2004 4:09:48 PM

Not that I'm aware, but there is such a utility for the ActiveSync Backup,
which creates .STG files.
With this utility, you can open, read and selectively restore single files
or folders if you want.

Look for ActiveSync Backup File Restorer 0.2 on PocketGear (it's freeware)
at:
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=2024&a...

"ejk" <ejknight@charter.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there is a utility to open / read / restore the .dbk
> file that is created when you do a backup with the DataBackup utility that
> is under Programs on Windows Mobile 2003 for the Dell Axim. I have called
> Dell and they say they don't know of a utility (pardon me while I look
> shocked).
> They passed the buck to Microsoft. So if anyone know of a utility let me
> know.
> Thanks
>
> /ejk

December 17, 2004 9:51:59 AM

Thanks,
I tested STGViewer yesterday..worked well too. However I might have to go
commercial and get Sprite Premium if it does everything that is advertised.

"ejk" <ejknight@charter.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there is a utility to open / read / restore the .dbk
> file that is created when you do a backup with the DataBackup utility that
> is under Programs on Windows Mobile 2003 for the Dell Axim. I have called
> Dell and they say they don't know of a utility (pardon me while I look
> shocked).
> They passed the buck to Microsoft. So if anyone know of a utility let me
> know.
> Thanks
>
> /ejk

December 18, 2004 1:59:33 AM