What do you recommend

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
May 29, 2005 7:21:24 PM

Hi,

I am planning to buy an inkjet printer...the printer won't be used for
high-end stuff...normally for printing black and white
documents...accidently colourful stuff...

the printer won't be used extensively as well...as I already have
access to a laser printer at office...

since no need for fancy stuff....I browsed around in the local
shops...and now I want to choose one of the following 4:

- Lexmark Z515
- Lexmark Z715
- HP 3745
- Canon iP1500

so between those 4 printers which one you recommend...in fact I'm
posting this message hoping that I can get some feedback or if some of
the printers should be totally out of question for some manufacturing
flaws in them...or you think I should not worry about such stuff...

Hope to read some replies soon..

Thank you

More about : recommend

May 29, 2005 8:46:17 PM

I guess the ip1500 has 2 tanks and 1 cartridge...

LOL I have no idea what that means...but this is what the website
says...

could you please give me more information about tanks and cartridges

thanks
May 29, 2005 11:33:58 PM

Canon with out any doubt

Get the highest ip#### you can stretch to, be careful one of those I
understand uses a tri-colour tank - do check that point, I think I am
right in saying if you read the forums and user's comments the ip3000
is better.

Separate tanks are far better, with Lexmark I don't know if you get a
free printer with the cartridge or a free cartridge with the
printer.

Reading the forums will tell you HP are good but are costly to run,
not only do you buy a new HP ink tank you get the heads as well.

Davy
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 12:46:45 AM

Buy Cannon without a doubt. It is hughly recommended by everyone including
Consumer Reports

====================================
"Freddy" <zfreddyzzz@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I guess the ip1500 has 2 tanks and 1 cartridge...
>
> LOL I have no idea what that means...but this is what the website
> says...
>
> could you please give me more information about tanks and cartridges
>
> thanks

May 30, 2005 2:25:14 AM

Davy wrote:

>Get the highest ip#### you can stretch to, be careful one of those I
>understand uses a tri-colour tank - do check that point, I think I am
>right in saying if you read the forums and user's comments the ip3000
>is better.
>
>Separate tanks are far better,

Not necessarily.

If you stick with the manufacturer's supplies, separate tanks merely
distribute the costs of ink across three or more tanks reducing the
apparent costs. But remember, you have to buy several ink tanks to get
all the colours in one of HP's tri-colour cartridges.

Now if you want refill, Canon is the easiest with the separate clear ink
tanks. They're very easy to open and the transparent cases makes it easy
to see how much ink is in the tank when topping it up.

>Reading the forums will tell you HP are good but are costly to run,
>not only do you buy a new HP ink tank you get the heads as well.

HP printers generally are not more costly to run. The cost of a
tri-colour cartridge is easily comparable to buying the three ink tanks
for a Canon, slightly cheaper infact. The minimal loss of ink from the
other two colours is negligible, balancing out the overall costs.

Note that page yields are similar even though the Canon has more ink
volume. HP carts simply use less ink overall to produce the same results
(less wasted ink and in the case of the newer blacks, more coverage).
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 4:21:05 AM

> Hi,
>
> I am planning to buy an inkjet printer...the printer won't be used for
> high-end stuff...normally for printing black and white
> documents...accidently colourful stuff...
>
> the printer won't be used extensively as well...as I already have
> access to a laser printer at office...
>
> since no need for fancy stuff....I browsed around in the local
> shops...and now I want to choose one of the following 4:
>
> - Lexmark Z515
> - Lexmark Z715
> - HP 3745
> - Canon iP1500
>
> so between those 4 printers which one you recommend...in fact I'm
> posting this message hoping that I can get some feedback or if some of
> the printers should be totally out of question for some manufacturing
> flaws in them...or you think I should not worry about such stuff...
>
> Hope to read some replies soon..
>
> Thank you

If it must be one of those get the Canon.

--
Derek
May 30, 2005 4:35:56 AM

I use to think the same way you do. Friends who bought into the Canons
kept on saying their cost per page was low, very very low where I
couldn't help to look at the cost of the head, being as you say roughly
the value of the printer. But I started asking them how long before
they had to replace the head, and I personaly don't know of anyone
who's ever replaced a Canon head. The few who have had clogs got them
after years of printing. It took me about 3 years to make a valued
judgement that even if I have to spend $60 for a head chances are I've
saved so much money in the cost of ink I end up ahead. If I buy bulk
ink and have to replace the head after 10 refills... I'm still ahead.

I still like HP in general, esp those printers that take the 45a black
cart. Much higher yield than even the Canon 25ml BCI-3eBK on the
ip3000/ip4000. A good choice for people who want to spend more time
printing than having the cover open. The HP 3745 I believe takes the
C8727AN black, which is only 10ml. If you use only black it costs more
than the canon BCL-3eBK and less than 1/2 the yield.

The ip1500 though uses the BCI-24Bk (9.5ml) and BCI-24C multi color
tanks. It's yield is very low as well but 1/2 the price of the HP
C8727AN for about the same amount of ink. The last time I checked
Target had the printheads and ink together for about $40 or $60. I'd
shy away from the ip1500 as it's pretty much a vehicel to sell their
suplus heads and ink from the old canon i320 series.

>Do yourself a favor and buy HP. You won't be sorry. I'm seeing too much
>trouble with clogged Canon print heads. The print head costs more than the
>printer...that is if you can find one. Pete
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 4:52:30 AM

Freddy wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am planning to buy an inkjet printer...the printer won't be used for
>high-end stuff...normally for printing black and white
>documents...accidently colourful stuff...
>
>the printer won't be used extensively as well...as I already have
>access to a laser printer at office...
>
>since no need for fancy stuff....I browsed around in the local
>shops...and now I want to choose one of the following 4:
>
> - Lexmark Z515
> - Lexmark Z715
> - HP 3745
> - Canon iP1500
>
>so between those 4 printers which one you recommend...in fact I'm
>posting this message hoping that I can get some feedback or if some of
>the printers should be totally out of question for some manufacturing
>flaws in them...or you think I should not worry about such stuff...
>
>Hope to read some replies soon..
>
>Thank you

Lexmark is the garbage of the garbage and they totally stink. They are
not even what I call printers. While I like Canon Printers I would not
go for an IP1500. On sale the IP3000 is far superior for a few dollars
more and has dual paper feeds and prints automatically on both sides of
the paper. However, in your case I would get an HP printer without a
doubt. The reason is you are not going to use it a great deal. The HP
ink cart contains its own printhead. So if it does (which I feel the
chances are relatively low) get clogged all you need to do is replace
the ink cart. You will then get a new head.

HP does a real good job on text and business graphics. So I hope this
was helpful..
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 5:00:18 AM

Davy wrote:

>Canon with out any doubt
>
>Get the highest ip#### you can stretch to, be careful one of those I
>understand uses a tri-colour tank - do check that point, I think I am
>right in saying if you read the forums and user's comments the ip3000
>is better.
>
>Separate tanks are far better, with Lexmark I don't know if you get a
>free printer with the cartridge or a free cartridge with the
>printer.
>
>Reading the forums will tell you HP are good but are costly to run,
>not only do you buy a new HP ink tank you get the heads as well.
>
>Davy

Precisely, in his case that is the reason he should buy HP.
May 30, 2005 5:04:17 AM

If i'm not mistaken, the IP1500 is that $50 at the local office depot.
Others have already reccomended the ip3000 over the ip1500. Till
tuesday it's onsale at newegg for $66 shipped... and if you get the $20
rebate it's $46. But assuming you don't get the rebate the the extra
$16 is justified due to fact the printer comes with a 25ml black tank,
rather than the ip1500 that only comes with a 9.5ml black tank, not to
speak of the lower cost to operate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Also consider the HP 7450. Not as good of value as the canon as far as
cost per page goes, but it at least as a 19ml rather than a 10ml black
in the hp 3745. Color well, the color cart has a very low yield and
costs $20. Not a great deal in the long term. There are better
options in the HP range but I don't know the current models nor do I
know of any in the sub $100 off the top of my head.

Every lexmark i've looked at costs about $10,000/gal for the ink. Most
inkjets cost thousands of dollars/gal for the ink, but lexmark is
typicaly the worst value per page. This is why they are the most
common free printer, they make it back in the cost of ink the first
time you buy it.

Watch out for those sub $50 printers. Many use ultra small cartrages
that cost more per ml than printers that cost just a few bucks more.
If you print more than a ream of paper a year consider spending just a
tad more to lower your costs. This is not to say you can't find a good
sub $50 printer, just usually the ink costs more.

> since no need for fancy stuff....I browsed around in the local
> shops...and now I want to choose one of the following 4:
> - Lexmark Z515
> - Lexmark Z715
> - HP 3745
> - Canon iP1500
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 5:07:59 AM

"Freddy" <zfreddyzzz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to buy an inkjet printer...the printer won't be used for
> high-end stuff...normally for printing black and white
> documents...accidently colourful stuff...
>
> the printer won't be used extensively as well...as I already have
> access to a laser printer at office...
>
> since no need for fancy stuff....I browsed around in the local
> shops...and now I want to choose one of the following 4:
>
> - Lexmark Z515
> - Lexmark Z715
> - HP 3745
> - Canon iP1500

I'd seriously think about spending a bit more and getting a printer that's
built to last more than 5 minutes.
May 30, 2005 6:04:51 AM

Do yourself a favor and buy HP. You won't be sorry. I'm seeing too much
trouble with clogged Canon print heads. The print head costs more than the
printer...that is if you can find one. Pete
"Freddy" <zfreddyzzz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to buy an inkjet printer...the printer won't be used for
> high-end stuff...normally for printing black and white
> documents...accidently colourful stuff...
>
> the printer won't be used extensively as well...as I already have
> access to a laser printer at office...
>
> since no need for fancy stuff....I browsed around in the local
> shops...and now I want to choose one of the following 4:
>
> - Lexmark Z515
> - Lexmark Z715
> - HP 3745
> - Canon iP1500
>
> so between those 4 printers which one you recommend...in fact I'm
> posting this message hoping that I can get some feedback or if some of
> the printers should be totally out of question for some manufacturing
> flaws in them...or you think I should not worry about such stuff...
>
> Hope to read some replies soon..
>
> Thank you

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 7:11:11 AM

All the printers you mention are junk. Just plain junk. Disposable printers.
When the ink runs out, throw it in the dumpster and buy another one.

But ... of all the junk you mentioned, I'd recommend the HP.

"Freddy" <zfreddyzzz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to buy an inkjet printer...the printer won't be used for
> high-end stuff...normally for printing black and white
> documents...accidently colourful stuff...
>
> the printer won't be used extensively as well...as I already have
> access to a laser printer at office...
>
> since no need for fancy stuff....I browsed around in the local
> shops...and now I want to choose one of the following 4:
>
> - Lexmark Z515
> - Lexmark Z715
> - HP 3745
> - Canon iP1500
>
> so between those 4 printers which one you recommend...in fact I'm
> posting this message hoping that I can get some feedback or if some of
> the printers should be totally out of question for some manufacturing
> flaws in them...or you think I should not worry about such stuff...
>
> Hope to read some replies soon..
>
> Thank you

May 30, 2005 9:33:55 AM

Freddy
Before buying take a look on various web sites and price the ink
tanks up for each printer thats been mentioned.

Before buying take a look a users reviews again on various sites.

Why not do a Google search on the Make and Model, this I'm sure will
lead you to two choices either HP or Canon - I could easily be
wrong.

Pity you did'nt give the location, Canons also do CD/DVD direct
printing but not in the US

and let us know what you come up with.

Davy
May 30, 2005 10:12:55 AM

Guys,

Thank you so much for the various opinions you gave me on here...

At first, I came to one conclusion.....Lexmark is out of question...

Now I'm left with 2 choices: either the HP or the Canon...

I'm now debating on which printer to buy...I guess I'm leaning more
towards the Canon ip1500...I know that many people mentioned that I
should spend more and get a larger ip number...but the printer won't be
used extensively to worry about higher numbers.

as for cartridge prices I also think Canon would work better for
me...since the extensive printing would be on my laser printer, this
one would work as a backup at home if I needed to print something
accidently while working from my place. Therefore I don't expect a huge
ink consumption. I would expect that the black ink cartridge might last
about 8 months at least and that the color ones would be rarely used.
therefore, Canon which sells the black ink cartridge for like very
cheap (almost 1/3 of the HP price) would be a better choice for me.

if the heads of my printer get clogged after couple years I wouldn't
hesitate throwing it in garbage and renewing it...

one last thing that made me lean more towards Canon, is that I have a
personal preference for Canon over HP (I owned 2 digital cameras, a 2MP
Canon and a 5MP HP...and the Canon was far superior than the HP)..so
this "silly" comparison also played a role in my decision...

But I have one quick question...the printers come with a 1-year
warranty for parts and labour...would that cover the cost of fixing the
head??? or the heads are not included in the warranty...
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 12:37:33 PM

Bill wrote:

>Davy wrote:
>

>>Get the highest ip#### you can stretch to, be careful one of those I
>>understand uses a tri-colour tank - do check that point, I think I am
>>right in saying if you read the forums and user's comments the ip3000
>>is better.
>>
>>Separate tanks are far better,
>>

>Not necessarily.
>
>If you stick with the manufacturer's supplies, separate tanks merely
>distribute the costs of ink across three or more tanks reducing the
>apparent costs. But remember, you have to buy several ink tanks to get
>all the colours in one of HP's tri-colour cartridges.
>
>Now if you want refill,

He is a low use user. He does not need that pain in the ass.

>Canon is the easiest with the separate clear ink
>tanks. They're very easy to open and the transparent cases makes it easy
>to see how much ink is in the tank when topping it up.
>

>>Reading the forums will tell you HP are good but are costly to run,
>>not only do you buy a new HP ink tank you get the heads as well.
>>

>HP printers generally are not more costly to run. The cost of a
>tri-colour cartridge is easily comparable to buying the three ink tanks
>for a Canon, slightly cheaper infact. The minimal loss of ink from the
>other two colours is negligible, balancing out the overall costs.
>
>Note that page yields are similar even though the Canon has more ink
>volume. HP carts simply use less ink overall to produce the same results
>(less wasted ink and in the case of the newer blacks, more coverage).

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 12:40:18 PM

Bill wrote:

>Davy wrote:
>

>>Get the highest ip#### you can stretch to, be careful one of those I
>>understand uses a tri-colour tank - do check that point, I think I am
>>right in saying if you read the forums and user's comments the ip3000
>>is better.
>>
>>Separate tanks are far better,
>>

>Not necessarily.
>
>If you stick with the manufacturer's supplies, separate tanks merely
>distribute the costs of ink across three or more tanks reducing the
>apparent costs.

Sure. I paid $27.00 for a set of Canon carts for my IP4000 and paid
$52.00 for a tri HP78 for my HP printer at Costco. The HP inks are
about twice the cost.

>But remember, you have to buy several ink tanks to get
>all the colours in one of HP's tri-colour cartridges.

Not in America.

>Now if you want refill, Canon is the easiest with the separate clear ink
>tanks. They're very easy to open and the transparent cases makes it easy
>to see how much ink is in the tank when topping it up.
>

>>Reading the forums will tell you HP are good but are costly to run,
>>not only do you buy a new HP ink tank you get the heads as well.
>>

>HP printers generally are not more costly to run. The cost of a
>tri-colour cartridge is easily comparable to buying the three ink tanks
>for a Canon, slightly cheaper infact. The minimal loss of ink from the
>other two colours is negligible, balancing out the overall costs.
>
>Note that page yields are similar even though the Canon has more ink
>volume. HP carts simply use less ink overall to produce the same results
>(less wasted ink and in the case of the newer blacks, more coverage).

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 12:40:19 PM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Bill wrote:
>
>>Davy wrote:
>>

>>>Get the highest ip#### you can stretch to, be careful one of those I
>>>understand uses a tri-colour tank - do check that point, I think I am
>>>right in saying if you read the forums and user's comments the ip3000
>>>is better.
>>>
>>>Separate tanks are far better,
>>>

>>Not necessarily.
>>
>>If you stick with the manufacturer's supplies, separate tanks merely
>>distribute the costs of ink across three or more tanks reducing the
>>apparent costs.
>>

> Sure. I paid $27.00 for a set of Canon carts for my IP4000 ... at
> Costco.

Oh, did you, now.......

Costco doesn't sell individual tanks or complete sets for the iP4000 for
$27. You have to buy 3 of one color for around $30 a 3-pak. To get a
full backup set of 5 cartridges that the iP4000 uses, you have to buy 5
sets of triple packs at $30 each, or about $150. That's a pain in the
ass when I can buy a full 5 color Canon compatible set on eBay for
around $10 and pocket the $140 for better use.

AMcLean
May 30, 2005 12:40:20 PM

AMcLean wrote:
> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>Sure. I paid $27.00 for a set of Canon carts for my IP4000 ... at
>>Costco.
>

> Oh, did you, now.......
>
> Costco doesn't sell individual tanks or complete sets for the iP4000 for
> $27. You have to buy 3 of one color for around $30 a 3-pak. To get a
> full backup set of 5 cartridges that the iP4000 uses, you have to buy 5
> sets of triple packs at $30 each, or about $150. That's a pain in the
> ass when I can buy a full 5 color Canon compatible set on eBay for
> around $10 and pocket the $140 for better use.
>

> AMcLean

Our local troll used to simply mislead now he's an outright liar. He has
no conscious or morals at all.
Frank
May 30, 2005 2:42:57 PM

[quote="Freddy"
But I have one quick question...the printers come with a 1-year
warranty for parts and labour...would that cover the cost of fixing
the
head??? or the heads are not included in the warranty...[/quote]

Davy say's
Everything should be guaranteed for 12 months, did you know that the
heads in the Canons are 'user' replaceable.

Im sure you'll find it very economical..
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 3:31:29 PM

In article <1117458775.723324.107940@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Freddy" <zfreddyzzz@gmail.com> wrote:

> one last thing that made me lean more towards Canon, is that I have a
> personal preference for Canon over HP (I owned 2 digital cameras, a 2MP
> Canon and a 5MP HP...and the Canon was far superior than the HP)..so
> this "silly" comparison also played a role in my decision...

Freddy-

I agree with your choice of cameras. Canon is a camera company. I love
my Elph Jr. However, I have had comparitively bad experiences with older
Canon printers, especially with image fading in a very short time. While
newer inks may be better, they aren't noted for permanence compared to
other brands.

HP is a printer company that also sells some cameras and computers. Given
your choices, I would definitely take the HP.

How open are you to other suggestions? Would your casual-use printer be
of use as a travel printer? The HP 450 with battery pack and Bluetooth
module works quite well. Canon supporters can suggest a competitive model
if you prefer.

Fred
May 30, 2005 3:37:57 PM

Guys,

Please let's keep talking about the printers...

let's not go into personal stuff...you can solve that at the local
bar...

let's get back to our printer discussion...

OK .. how larger are the HP cartridges from those of the Canon...I mean
volume wise..
May 30, 2005 3:46:10 PM

> There is no "Tri Color Cart" in the iP4000!!! There are three colors
> and two blacks

I might be following this thread incorrectly. The iP3000 and iP4000
use seperate CMYK, where the 4000 has an extra K, this is true. The
iP1500 uses the tricolor cart, as in if you are out of any color, you
replace the whole thing. The iP1500 is rather like the old Canon BJ
2100 with it's thimble sized in carts.
May 30, 2005 4:04:16 PM

OK guys,

I just found out that:

9.5 mL of black ink for the Canon ip1500 cost $9.99 CAD
10 mL of black ink for the HP 3745 cost $28.63 CAD

so I guess the money I save buying an HP I will pay it with the first
black cartridge replacement.

Freddy
May 30, 2005 5:40:52 PM

> 9.5 mL of black ink for the Canon ip1500 cost $9.99 CAD
> 10 mL of black ink for the HP 3745 cost $28.63 CAD

I thought that the HP 27 was US 18.00 or CAD$22.60, but hey, i'm not
there.
Most of the time HP printers offer cartrages with higher yields than
canon, but the HP3745 isn't one of them. Most people reccomend HP
because you spend less time printing than opening the cover. the HP
3745 won't print through a ream of paper without a refill.

The IP3000 has a 25ml (BCI-3eBK) black. For me that would cost
USD$13.00 at office depot where the black for the ip1500
(BCI-24Bk)would cost $7.45 for 9.5ml. Let's assume $16.00 CAD for the
ip3000, and $9.00 for the IP1500.
..64Ccents/ml vs .94Ccents/ml or $23.50 canadian for the same amount of
black on the IP1500 as you get for only $16 on the IP1500. or to put
another way, you'd have to buy 15ml CAD$14.10 more ink on the IP 1500
to get the same amount of black that the IP 3000 comes with. You have
to buy 5 BCI-24Bk @ $45 to equal the same amount in two BCI-3eBK @
$32.00.

But on the other hand, the ip1500 is cheaper than most HPs and epsons,
and definatly cheaper than lexmark. While I and others would reccomend
the ip3000, the ip1500 isn't so bad a deal for its ink.

Be careful of sub CAD$100 printers. While they cost less sometimes
they use thimble sized carts that cost a good deal more per/ml than
models you can buy for only a few bucks more.
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 7:17:41 PM

Freddy wrote:

>Guys,
>
>Thank you so much for the various opinions you gave me on here...
>
>At first, I came to one conclusion.....Lexmark is out of question...
>
>Now I'm left with 2 choices: either the HP or the Canon...
>
>I'm now debating on which printer to buy...I guess I'm leaning more
>towards the Canon ip1500...I know that many people mentioned that I
>should spend more and get a larger ip number...but the printer won't be
>used extensively to worry about higher numbers.

MISTAKE. THE IP1500 IS JUNK. IT USES A TRI COLOR CART AND DOES NOT
EVEN HAVE ITS OWN PRINTHEAD. THE IP3000, A FEW DOLLARS MORE IS CHEAPER
ON INK AND WILL END UP COSTING LESS. BUT BECAUSE OF YOUR MODEST USE,
THE HP IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO BECAUSE OF THE PRINTHEAD BEING PART OF THE
CARTRIDGE.

>as for cartridge prices I also think Canon would work better for
>me...since the extensive printing would be on my laser printer, this
>one would work as a backup at home if I needed to print something
>accidently while working from my place. Therefore I don't expect a huge
>ink consumption. I would expect that the black ink cartridge might last
>about 8 months at least and that the color ones would be rarely used.
>therefore, Canon which sells the black ink cartridge for like very
>cheap (almost 1/3 of the HP price) would be a better choice for me.
>
>if the heads of my printer get clogged after couple years I wouldn't
>hesitate throwing it in garbage and renewing it...
>
>one last thing that made me lean more towards Canon, is that I have a
>personal preference for Canon over HP (I owned 2 digital cameras, a 2MP
>Canon and a 5MP HP...and the Canon was far superior than the HP)..so
>this "silly" comparison also played a role in my decision...
>
>But I have one quick question...the printers come with a 1-year
>warranty for parts and labour...would that cover the cost of fixing the
>head??? or the heads are not included in the warranty...

The entire printer is under warranty.
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 7:22:30 PM

Frank wrote:

> AMcLean wrote:
>
>> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>> Sure. I paid $27.00 for a set of Canon carts for my IP4000 ... at
>>> Costco.
>>

>> Oh, did you, now.......
>>
>> Costco doesn't sell individual tanks or complete sets for the iP4000 for
>> $27. You have to buy 3 of one color for around $30 a 3-pak. To get a
>> full backup set of 5 cartridges that the iP4000 uses, you have to buy 5
>> sets of triple packs at $30 each, or about $150. That's a pain in the
>> ass when I can buy a full 5 color Canon compatible set on eBay for
>> around $10 and pocket the $140 for better use.
>>

>> AMcLean
>

> Our local troll used to simply mislead now he's an outright liar. He
> has no conscious or morals at all.
> Frank

Frankie be nimble

Frankie be quick

Frankie jumped over the candle stick

Frankie scortched his balls.

Ah HAHAHAHA
May 30, 2005 10:10:02 PM

Freddy wrote:

>I just found out that:
>
>9.5 mL of black ink for the Canon ip1500 cost $9.99 CAD
>10 mL of black ink for the HP 3745 cost $28.63 CAD
>
>so I guess the money I save buying an HP I will pay it with the first
>black cartridge replacement.

Don't compare ink volumes directly as that can be misleading. Instead,
compare page yield numbers. Higher yields (more pages per ml of ink)
means more pages from each cartridge.

Also keep in mind that HP seems to be better at not clogging when the
printer sits idle. That is in no way a guarantee...just a general
observation. :)
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 10:38:31 PM

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in

>> 9.5 mL of black ink for the Canon ip1500 cost $9.99 CAD
>> 10 mL of black ink for the HP 3745 cost $28.63 CAD
>

> I thought that the HP 27 was US 18.00 or CAD$22.60, but hey, i'm not
> there.
> Most of the time HP printers offer cartrages with higher yields than
> canon, but the HP3745 isn't one of them. Most people reccomend HP
> because you spend less time printing than opening the cover. the HP
> 3745 won't print through a ream of paper without a refill.
>
> The IP3000 has a 25ml (BCI-3eBK) black. For me that would cost
> USD$13.00 at office depot where the black for the ip1500
> (BCI-24Bk)would cost $7.45 for 9.5ml. Let's assume $16.00 CAD for the
> ip3000, and $9.00 for the IP1500.
> .64Ccents/ml vs .94Ccents/ml or $23.50 canadian for the same amount
> of black on the IP1500 as you get for only $16 on the IP1500. or to
> put another way, you'd have to buy 15ml CAD$14.10 more ink on the IP
> 1500 to get the same amount of black that the IP 3000 comes with. You
> have to buy 5 BCI-24Bk @ $45 to equal the same amount in two BCI-3eBK
> @ $32.00.

So you gonna count your pocket change every time you wanna print
something? Is that how you wanna live? Is ink that expensive? Hah,
got ya! You know you really don't have to live like a pauper. I'm into
bulk inks to refill the empties. Fill the entire set for 500 pennies...
that's $5, since you're counting change. Remember, it's your money.

John
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 10:56:29 PM

zakezuke wrote:

>>There is no "Tri Color Cart" in the iP4000!!! There are three colors
>>and two blacks
>>

>I might be following this thread incorrectly. The iP3000 and iP4000
>use seperate CMYK, where the 4000 has an extra K, this is true.

YES

>The
>iP1500 uses the tricolor cart, as in if you are out of any color, you
>replace the whole thing. The iP1500 is rather like the old Canon BJ
>2100 with it's thimble sized in carts.

YES
May 30, 2005 11:27:23 PM

> So you gonna count your pocket change every time you wanna print
> something? Is that how you wanna live? Is ink that expensive? Hah,
> got ya! You know you really don't have to live like a pauper. I'm into
> bulk inks to refill the empties. Fill the entire set for 500 pennies...
> that's $5, since you're counting change. Remember, it's your money.

Actually, ink is that expensive. One tends to spend more on ink than
the printer yearly. Sure it's counting pennies when taking into
account the cost of consumables, but when the you make up the extra
cost of a more spendy model in under a year I think that's wise.
Hardly penny pinching, well unless you print less that a ream yearly.

I refill as well. It's not exactly counting pennies when bulk ink
costs $256/gal and factory ink inks cost $3000/gal for some Canons,
$5000/gal for some HPs, and $10,000/gal for many Lexmarks. What's most
sad is the fact that $3000/gal is a good deal for factory inks.
May 30, 2005 11:37:46 PM

Seems odd the HP cheaper.

Just to clear things you'll need a tri-colour tank and a black tank
(when it runs out), the black will also be used when printing
pictures. Davy
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 30, 2005 11:37:47 PM

"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Seems odd the HP cheaper.
>
> Just to clear things you'll need a tri-colour tank and a black tank
> (when it runs out), the black will also be used when printing
> pictures. Davy

The HP will print with an empty color (or black) cartridge. If you run out of
one color you may either leave the cartridge in the printer or remove it and
print with the other.

Printing on photo paper only uses the color cartridge in the HP printers. They
have pigmented black ink which is not used on photo paper.

Regards,
May 31, 2005 4:00:58 AM

> Yet another brilliant Measekite post that announces to the world his
> immaturity, obsession with feces, and lhis extremely limited vocabulary.

I didn't think think printing with fecal matter is an option. But I
gotta admit, it can't be any worse than epson factory ink clogging the
printhead. But how would one make cyan?
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 31, 2005 6:34:55 AM

zakezuke wrote:

>>So you gonna count your pocket change every time you wanna print
>>something? Is that how you wanna live? Is ink that expensive? Hah,
>>got ya! You know you really don't have to live like a pauper. I'm into
>>bulk inks to refill the empties. Fill the entire set for 500 pennies...
>>that's $5, since you're counting change. Remember, it's your money.

Goodie Goodie Clog Drops.

>Actually, ink is that expensive. One tends to spend more on ink than
>the printer yearly. Sure it's counting pennies when taking into
>account the cost of consumables, but when the you make up the extra
>cost of a more spendy model in under a year I think that's wise.
>Hardly penny pinching, well unless you print less that a ream yearly.
>

>I refill as well. It's not exactly counting pennies when bulk ink
>costs $256/gal and factory ink inks cost $3000/gal for some Canons,
>$5000/gal for some HPs, and $10,000/gal for many Lexmarks. What's most
>sad is the fact that $3000/gal is a good deal for factory inks.

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 31, 2005 6:34:56 AM

> zakezuke wrote:
>
>>>So you gonna count your pocket change every time you wanna print
>>>something? Is that how you wanna live? Is ink that expensive? Hah,
>>>got ya! You know you really don't have to live like a pauper. I'm
>>>into bulk inks to refill the empties. Fill the entire set for 500
>>>pennies... that's $5, since you're counting change. Remember, it's
>>>your money.
>>>

> Goodie Goodie Clog Drops.

Only the village idiot like yourself would put down something tried and
proven by an experienced user of non-OEM inks. Your experience with
outside inks is as vast as your IQ. Zero. And my "clog drops" ink has
clogged my printhead as often as you've been right about anything in
this group. Which is never. Someone remind me to kill file this troll if
I forget.

John
May 31, 2005 7:35:07 AM

> zakezuke wrote:
>
>>>So you gonna count your pocket change every time you wanna print
>>>something? Is that how you wanna live? Is ink that expensive? Hah,
>>>got ya! You know you really don't have to live like a pauper. I'm into
>>>bulk inks to refill the empties. Fill the entire set for 500 pennies...
>>>that's $5, since you're counting change. Remember, it's your money.
>>>

> Goodie Goodie Clog Drops.

Another intelligent reply from the Measekite. I notice that when people
post positive results from aftermarket inks you belittle their posts. When
anyone posts about a head clog you ask them if they use OEM inks. You
manage to drop the subject when they reply that they have only used OEM
inks. Unlike the three little monkeys, you hear what you want to hear, you
see what you want to see, and you babble on too friggin much.

>>Actually, ink is that expensive. One tends to spend more on ink than
>>the printer yearly. Sure it's counting pennies when taking into
>>account the cost of consumables, but when the you make up the extra
>>cost of a more spendy model in under a year I think that's wise.
>>Hardly penny pinching, well unless you print less that a ream yearly.
>>

>>I refill as well. It's not exactly counting pennies when bulk ink
>>costs $256/gal and factory ink inks cost $3000/gal for some Canons,
>>$5000/gal for some HPs, and $10,000/gal for many Lexmarks. What's most
>>sad is the fact that $3000/gal is a good deal for factory inks.

May 31, 2005 9:33:36 AM

Now there's apoint, could someone clarify about the head warrenty.
Someone said (not on here) Canons have a life time warrenty, I don't
think that's exactly right.

The head is part of the machine therefor it's gaurenteed like all else
is'nt it, some firms will supply part's for their printer when out of
gaurantee and yet some won't depends on Cmpny policy. Since the head
in a Canon is 'user pleaceable' I can't see what the issue is, bcoz
unlike Epson you don't have to 'strip' the thing down.

If the thing is under warrenty, isn't it cheaper to swap print heads
as opposed to a printer, unless you live nexdoor to an agent.
May 31, 2005 9:34:32 AM

John - unfortunately, when he is killfiled he keeps on misinforming people
who sincerely want information. Fortunately, the gutter language and innane
compulsion to put down those who can, from their experience, inform others
on the NG.

"John Lefevre" <JLefevre@notmydomain.net> wrote in message
> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in

>> Goodie Goodie Clog Drops.
>

> Only the village idiot like yourself would put down something tried and
> proven by an experienced user of non-OEM inks. Your experience with
> outside inks is as vast as your IQ. Zero. And my "clog drops" ink has
> clogged my printhead as often as you've been right about anything in
> this group. Which is never. Someone remind me to kill file this troll if
> I forget.
>
> John
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 31, 2005 10:45:02 AM

On the iP3000 and up the print head is a part, not a supply item and as such
would be covered by the warranty. I'm not sure how the iP1500 would fare.
I've got one (a freebie that came with a systems purchase) still sealed up,
but I hope to try it out pretty soon. It's too light to be a doorstop, so if
I don't like it, the trash bin will be its new home.

Ron

> [quote="Freddy"
> But I have one quick question...the printers come with a 1-year
> warranty for parts and labour...would that cover the cost of fixing
> the
> head??? or the heads are not included in the warranty...[/quote]
>

> Davy say's
> Everything should be guaranteed for 12 months, did you know that the
> heads in the Canons are 'user' replaceable.
>
> Im sure you'll find it very economical..

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 31, 2005 5:09:41 PM

Lexmark tends to have poorer than average reliability, more costly ink
cartridges and poor driver support. However, their newer products may
be improved.

Canon may not be the best choice for a printer that will sit without use
a lot, and with even less use in color.

I would tend to lean toward the HP for your needs. The ink costs will
be higher than Canon, but it doesn't sound like you will be using it
enough to matter greatly. I would check to make sure the cartridges for
the HP printer don't have a deadline date by which they stop printing,
since your use will be low, you don't what cartridges to become usable
because of the date of the head/and ink combo.

Art

Freddy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am planning to buy an inkjet printer...the printer won't be used for
> high-end stuff...normally for printing black and white
> documents...accidently colourful stuff...
>
> the printer won't be used extensively as well...as I already have
> access to a laser printer at office...
>
> since no need for fancy stuff....I browsed around in the local
> shops...and now I want to choose one of the following 4:
>
> - Lexmark Z515
> - Lexmark Z715
> - HP 3745
> - Canon iP1500
>
> so between those 4 printers which one you recommend...in fact I'm
> posting this message hoping that I can get some feedback or if some of
> the printers should be totally out of question for some manufacturing
> flaws in them...or you think I should not worry about such stuff...
>
> Hope to read some replies soon..
>
> Thank you

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 31, 2005 5:10:01 PM

John Lefevre wrote:

> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>The IP3000 has a 25ml (BCI-3eBK) black. For me that would cost
>>USD$13.00 at office depot where the black for the ip1500
>>(BCI-24Bk)would cost $7.45 for 9.5ml. Let's assume $16.00 CAD for the
>>ip3000, and $9.00 for the IP1500.
>>.64Ccents/ml vs .94Ccents/ml or $23.50 canadian for the same amount
>>of black on the IP1500 as you get for only $16 on the IP1500. or to
>>put another way, you'd have to buy 15ml CAD$14.10 more ink on the IP
>>1500 to get the same amount of black that the IP 3000 comes with. You
>>have to buy 5 BCI-24Bk @ $45 to equal the same amount in two BCI-3eBK
>>@ $32.00.
>

> So you gonna count your pocket change every time you wanna print
> something? Is that how you wanna live? Is ink that expensive? Hah,
> got ya! You know you really don't have to live like a pauper. I'm into
> bulk inks to refill the empties. Fill the entire set for 500 pennies...
> that's $5, since you're counting change. Remember, it's your money.
>
> John

Please contact me in private, John, I have a few questions. Your email
is obviously non-functional.

-Taliesyn
The Taliesyn (needs an updating) Website:
http://colba.net/~andresk/
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 31, 2005 5:20:19 PM

I think I may have to see a doctor ;-) Measekite and I agreed on
something, I must have been infected with a horrible disease.

Art

measekite wrote:

> Freddy wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am planning to buy an inkjet printer...the printer won't be used for
>> high-end stuff...normally for printing black and white
>> documents...accidently colourful stuff...
>>
>> the printer won't be used extensively as well...as I already have
>> access to a laser printer at office...
>>
>> since no need for fancy stuff....I browsed around in the local
>> shops...and now I want to choose one of the following 4:
>>
>> - Lexmark Z515
>> - Lexmark Z715
>> - HP 3745
>> - Canon iP1500
>>
>> so between those 4 printers which one you recommend...in fact I'm
>> posting this message hoping that I can get some feedback or if some of
>> the printers should be totally out of question for some manufacturing
>> flaws in them...or you think I should not worry about such stuff...
>>
>> Hope to read some replies soon..
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> Lexmark is the garbage of the garbage and they totally stink. They are
> not even what I call printers. While I like Canon Printers I would not
> go for an IP1500. On sale the IP3000 is far superior for a few dollars
> more and has dual paper feeds and prints automatically on both sides of
> the paper. However, in your case I would get an HP printer without a
> doubt. The reason is you are not going to use it a great deal. The HP
> ink cart contains its own printhead. So if it does (which I feel the
> chances are relatively low) get clogged all you need to do is replace
> the ink cart. You will then get a new head.
>
> HP does a real good job on text and business graphics. So I hope this
> was helpful..
May 31, 2005 7:54:18 PM

eat lots of blueberrys.

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Yet another brilliant Measekite post that announces to the world his
>> immaturity, obsession with feces, and lhis extremely limited vocabulary.
>
> I didn't think think printing with fecal matter is an option. But I
> gotta admit, it can't be any worse than epson factory ink clogging the
> printhead. But how would one make cyan?

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 31, 2005 8:10:30 PM

John Lefevre wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in

>>Goodie Goodie Clog Drops.
>>

>Only the village idiot like yourself would put down something tried and
>proven by an experienced user of non-OEM inks. Your experience with
>outside inks is as vast as your IQ. Zero. And my "clog drops"

:-D :-D :-D

>ink has
>clogged my printhead as often as you've been right about anything in
>this group. Which is never. Someone remind me to kill file this troll if
>I forget.
>
>John

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 31, 2005 8:12:25 PM

Burt wrote:

>John - unfortunately, when he is killfiled he keeps on misinforming people
>who sincerely want information. Fortunately, the gutter language and innane
>compulsion to put down those who can, from their experience, bullshit others
>on the NG.
>
>"John Lefevre" <JLefevre@notmydomain.net> wrote in message
>

>>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in

>>>Goodie Goodie Clog Drops.
>>>

>>Only the village idiot like yourself would put down something tried and
>>proven by an experienced user of non-OEM inks. Your experience with
>>outside inks is as vast as your IQ. Zero. And my "clog drops" ink has
>>clogged my printhead as often as you've been right about anything in
>>this group. Which is never. Someone remind me to kill file this troll if
>>I forget.
>>
>>John

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 31, 2005 8:36:56 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Lexmark tends to have poorer than average reliability, more costly ink
> cartridges and poor driver support. However, their newer products may
> be improved.
>
> Canon may not be the best choice for a printer that will sit without
> use a lot, and with even less use in color.
>
> I would tend to lean toward the HP for your needs.

Thats what I told him.

> The ink costs will be higher than Canon, but it doesn't sound like you
> will be using it enough to matter greatly. I would check to make sure
> the cartridges for the HP printer don't have a deadline date by which
> they stop printing, since your use will be low, you don't what
> cartridges to become usable because of the date of the head/and ink
> combo.
>
> Art
>
> Freddy wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am planning to buy an inkjet printer...the printer won't be used for
>> high-end stuff...normally for printing black and white
>> documents...accidently colourful stuff...
>>
>> the printer won't be used extensively as well...as I already have
>> access to a laser printer at office...
>>
>> since no need for fancy stuff....I browsed around in the local
>> shops...and now I want to choose one of the following 4:
>>
>> - Lexmark Z515
>> - Lexmark Z715
>> - HP 3745
>> - Canon iP1500
>>
>> so between those 4 printers which one you recommend...in fact I'm
>> posting this message hoping that I can get some feedback or if some of
>> the printers should be totally out of question for some manufacturing
>> flaws in them...or you think I should not worry about such stuff...
>>
>> Hope to read some replies soon..
>>
>> Thank you

May 31, 2005 9:29:33 PM

Davy wrote:

>Now there's apoint, could someone clarify about the head warrenty.
>Someone said (not on here) Canons have a life time warrenty, I don't
>think that's exactly right.

The user replaceable printhead in Canon printers is covered under the
standard 1-year warranty.

The reference to "lifetime" relates to the expected life of the
printhead lasting for the lifetime of the printer, as marketed by Canon.
But as it turns out the printer life is ridiculously short.

>If the thing is under warrenty, isn't it cheaper to swap print heads
>as opposed to a printer, unless you live nexdoor to an agent.

Yes it would be cheaper, by a wide margin.

The problem with Canon printheads is the replacement cost OUTSIDE of the
warranty - a whole new printer is generally a better deal as the
printhead cost is 70-90% of a new printer.
May 31, 2005 10:33:27 PM

Thanks for that Bill
I can understand the heads being about 2 thirds the cost, as you say
might as well get new and another 12 months warrenty.

" ridiculously short life of the printer" got me a little worried, I
guess I would say an average life is about 2 or 3 years.

Just like TV's I suppose, the older ones always seemed to outlive the
lives of modern ones many times over - that's technology for
you....!

Davy
June 1, 2005 12:49:27 AM

>I'm now debating on which printer to buy...I guess I'm leaning more
>towards the Canon ip1500...I know that many people mentioned that I
>should spend more and get a larger ip number...but the printer won't >be used extensively to worry about higher numbers.

Hey if you are printing under a ream of paper a year, even though i'd
lean tward the iP3000, I can't see why you shouldn't go with the
ip1500. My argument for the iP is based on the cost of ink, a cost
that would only be made up after the 5th refill or so. If you're happy
buying refills after 150 pages according to their estimate of yield,
reality more likely to be 100, then by all means. I have a niece who
has the BJ 2100 that is similar in the fact it also has thimble sized
tanks. She couldn't be happier.

I would however keep my eye out for deals on the iP3000 or others in
the iP series... I bought mine for USD$66 and might get a $20 rebate.
The cost to replace all the ink is about $40... so if I actually get
the rebate I spent $6 on the printer and $40 on the ink it came with.
Actually I bought mine as my Epson r200 is in the shop... and the
printer was cheaper than buying more Epson ink by a long shot.
!