A mobo for conroe that doesn't need a BIOS upgrade.

Daunt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
From searching through the different forums like the ASUS motherboard forum and the CPU forum, I've seen some dissimilar conclusions about the BIOS versions that is compatible with Core 2 Duo that comes with the motherboard out of the box. The Asus P5W DH Deluxe seems to need a BIOS upgrade to version 701 but I do not think that I’ll have a compatible processor in the meantime to update the BIOS. I have read plenty of threads and posts about it but I still feel confused on which ones are absolutely compatible without a BIOS upgrade.
The Asus P5B Series seems to be my best bet. The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 also looks promising. So overall I would like to know if the P5B versions are absolutely ready out of the box to run it without a BIOS upgrade. And if not, are there any other motherboards compatible out of the box.

Once you get it built, if the BIOS does need flashing before it will accept the Core 2's, take it to a computer shop. They will flash it for you with an already supported CPU installed. Some will do it for free, some will charge a small fee for flashing it for you.

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I just bought a Conroe and the P5W DH...As far as I know, all you have to do is put the correct update file on a disk or CD and start the computer up (and hit a certain key) and it will update in no time. So...with a Conroe in there, can I get far enough into a boot to do that? I don't think the BIOS even has to post.

Daunt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
Thanks for the advice prophecyy. I'll have to try to find a more techy sort of store rather than the abundant BestBuys and Circuit Cities we have around here. Don't trust large retail giants.