Vivec is too frikkin' huge.

Last response: in Video Games
October 19, 2004 10:31:44 PM

On a quest, I've been told by this Khajit thief person that I have to help
her out with a certain Census and Excise agent. But she refuses to tell me
the guy's name, or even give the slightest hint where to find him. I've
searched every canton, and can't find any office of Census and Excise or
anything like that. Nobody anywhere seems to know anything. I don't even
know if the guy (if it is a guy) is even IN Vivec, but I'd assume so, since
the other two parts of this quest didn't require me to leave the city. (The
only place I haven't searched is the sewers, because first of all there
seems to be a lot of really powerful ass-kicking jerks down there, and
secondly I can't imagine a beaurocrat like person hanging around the
sewers.) This is driving me nuts. Anybody care to give me a hint on this
one? I'd say screw it, but I think this is a plot-vital quest, so I kind of
need to do it.

Also, is there a good website that would answer questions like this for me
in the future? There seems to be so many quests in this game where you're
simply not given enough information to adequately complete them without
scouring the world with a fine-toothed comb. They really need to work on
being more player-friendly. Give a few clues, and don't leave people in the
dark wondering what the heck they're supposed to do all the time...

More about : vivec frikkin huge

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 2:48:32 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> On a quest, I've been told by this Khajit thief person that I have to help
> her out with a certain Census and Excise agent. But she refuses to tell me
> the guy's name, or even give the slightest hint where to find him. I've
> searched every canton, and can't find any office of Census and Excise or
> anything like that. Nobody anywhere seems to know anything. I don't even
> know if the guy (if it is a guy) is even IN Vivec, but I'd assume so, since
> the other two parts of this quest didn't require me to leave the city. (The
> only place I haven't searched is the sewers, because first of all there
> seems to be a lot of really powerful ass-kicking jerks down there, and
> secondly I can't imagine a beaurocrat like person hanging around the
> sewers.) This is driving me nuts. Anybody care to give me a hint on this
> one? I'd say screw it, but I think this is a plot-vital quest, so I kind of
> need to do it.

The person you are looking for is upstairs from your contact. Just ask
around, sooner or later you will find the correct person and one of the
options while talking to him will allow you to complete the task.

> Also, is there a good website that would answer questions like this for me
> in the future? There seems to be so many quests in this game where you're
> simply not given enough information to adequately complete them without
> scouring the world with a fine-toothed comb. They really need to work on
> being more player-friendly. Give a few clues, and don't leave people in the
> dark wondering what the heck they're supposed to do all the time...

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 3:56:15 AM

> The person you are looking for is upstairs from your contact. Just ask
> around, sooner or later you will find the correct person and one of the
> options while talking to him will allow you to complete the task.

Found her. Not too hard when you know where to look, but jeez, you'd think
the game would give you even the vaguest clue?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 4:17:52 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> On a quest, I've been told by this Khajit thief person that I have to help
> her out with a certain Census and Excise agent. But she refuses to tell me
> the guy's name, or even give the slightest hint where to find him. I've
> searched every canton, and can't find any office of Census and Excise or
> anything like that. Nobody anywhere seems to know anything. I don't even
> know if the guy (if it is a guy) is even IN Vivec, but I'd assume so, since
> the other two parts of this quest didn't require me to leave the city. (The
> only place I haven't searched is the sewers, because first of all there
> seems to be a lot of really powerful ass-kicking jerks down there, and
> secondly I can't imagine a beaurocrat like person hanging around the
> sewers.) This is driving me nuts. Anybody care to give me a hint on this
> one? I'd say screw it, but I think this is a plot-vital quest, so I kind of
> need to do it.
>
> Also, is there a good website that would answer questions like this for me
> in the future? There seems to be so many quests in this game where you're
> simply not given enough information to adequately complete them without
> scouring the world with a fine-toothed comb. They really need to work on
> being more player-friendly. Give a few clues, and don't leave people in the
> dark wondering what the heck they're supposed to do all the time...

Two items

Boots of blinding speed
Wizards Staff (Or other long lasting levitate thingum)

And your travels through Vivec will become a WHOLE lot nicer, and yeah
imperial guy in the same cantoon.

And if you want to cheat
http://www.uesp.net/morrow/quest/morquest.shtml, but I think the quests
have enough info and you feel better having figured it out yourself.

~Cameron
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 5:22:35 AM

This is funny! I got stuck on numerous other quests, but on this one, on the
very first playthrough, I ran into the Census guy the moment I entered the
Canton... Ever since, I've gone in through that door and found him right
away. For me, that route is "the way" to go about that section. I do it in
my sleep.

But you learned a ton about the city and have probably met more people and
seen more things in Vivec than I ever have, and I've played through the
first half of the Main Quest probably five different times! Funny...
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 9:38:01 AM

Some time between the hours of March 10th and Friday, "Darrel Hoffman"
<i.dont@think.so> committed the following:

>> Two items
>>
>> Boots of blinding speed
>> Wizards Staff (Or other long lasting levitate thingum)
>
> Yeah, I keep hearing about these, but so far nobody has given me the
> slightest clue where I might go about finding these items.

http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/morrownd/1029.php
for the boots, but get some constant-effect Resist Blindness gewgaw first.
If one doesn't exist, save up and get one made.

The Wizard's Staff is part of the overall Mages Guild quest system. Once
you reach the rank of Warlock, you have to get one for further promotion.
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/morrownd/4124.php
--
Rev. Cardboard Box, professional warning to others
www.livejournal.com/users/revcardboardbox

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> On a quest, I've been told by this Khajit thief person that I have to help
> her out with a certain Census and Excise agent. But she refuses to tell
me
> the guy's name, or even give the slightest hint where to find him. I've
> searched every canton, and can't find any office of Census and Excise or
> anything like that. Nobody anywhere seems to know anything. I don't even
> know if the guy (if it is a guy) is even IN Vivec, but I'd assume so,
since
> the other two parts of this quest didn't require me to leave the city.
(The
> only place I haven't searched is the sewers, because first of all there
> seems to be a lot of really powerful ass-kicking jerks down there, and
> secondly I can't imagine a beaurocrat like person hanging around the
> sewers.) This is driving me nuts. Anybody care to give me a hint on this
> one? I'd say screw it, but I think this is a plot-vital quest, so I kind
of
> need to do it.
>
> Also, is there a good website that would answer questions like this for me
> in the future? There seems to be so many quests in this game where you're
> simply not given enough information to adequately complete them without
> scouring the world with a fine-toothed comb. They really need to work on
> being more player-friendly. Give a few clues, and don't leave people in
the
> dark wondering what the heck they're supposed to do all the time...

He's wandering the corridors on a main level of the same canton as the
Khajit, asking if anybody has seen the khajit.

Kieran
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 3:05:21 PM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:31:44 -0400, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>On a quest, I've been told by this Khajit thief person that I have to help
>her out with a certain Census and Excise agent. But she refuses to tell me
>the guy's name, or even give the slightest hint where to find him...

I've noticed this with some quests - particularly with that miserable
shrew of a woman who wants to go to Ghostgate Shrine. As I spoke to
her, initially, she kept asking me to be her bodyguard, so I agreed -
but after all her previous nagging she then refused to say where I was
to take her :D  I had to BRIBE her (after a couple of failed Admire
attempts) to get her to like me enough to tell me where I was supposed
to take her! Totally stupid...

To add insult to injury, I had to bribe her with 300 or 400 gold, and
she paid me less than that for the escort job, heh.

Palindrome
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 8:16:00 PM

> To add insult to injury, I had to bribe her with 300 or 400 gold, and
> she paid me less than that for the escort job, heh.

Kill....

Haughty....

Woman....

Outside..

Ald-ruhn...
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 1:04:38 AM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:16:00 GMT, "Munky Boy"
<MunkyNorth@literotica.org> wrote:

>> To add insult to injury, I had to bribe her with 300 or 400 gold, and
>> she paid me less than that for the escort job, heh.
>

>Kill....
>

>Haughty....
>

>Woman....
>

>Outside..
>

>Ald-ruhn...

Lol, I wish I had :D

Palindrome
October 22, 2004 12:22:07 AM

> > Two items
> >
> > Boots of blinding speed
> > Wizards Staff (Or other long lasting levitate thingum)
>
> Yeah, I keep hearing about these, but so far nobody has given me the
> slightest clue where I might go about finding these items. Is it
something
> you only get later in the game? (As for the levitation thing, I figured
out
> that you can buy a Potion of Rising Force for relatively cheap from the
> woman standing around outside the archway at the Temple Canton, and then
go
> donate it to the shrine on the backside of it, and that gives you fairly
> long-lasting Levitation, and it's right in Vivec where you most need it,
> too.)

The Boots of Blinding Speed are on a character (Pemine or some such I think)
north and a bit west of Caldera. You can do what she asks (escort to Gnar
Mok) or just kill her. She's a con artist so don't feel too bad. You need a
resist magicka 100% for a few seconds every time you put on the boots, or
you go blind.

I don't like fixed duration levitate (potion or staff), as it can make
indoor movement difficult. Instead, enchant an exquisite amulet with a
constant effect 8 point levitate, and just equip it and de-equip as needed.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:22:08 AM

JC wrote:

> I don't like fixed duration levitate (potion or staff), as it can make
> indoor movement difficult. Instead, enchant an exquisite amulet with a
> constant effect 8 point levitate, and just equip it and de-equip as needed.

Once your char is tough enough to take out the pre-requ golden
soulgem-filler of course - until then you're kind of stuck with
fixed-duration effects. I find the biggest problem with these isn't
indoor navigation but losing count of when its due to wear off and
suddenly plummeting from the sky like that poor guy outside Seyda Neen!
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:22:08 AM

> The Boots of Blinding Speed are on a character (Pemine or some such I
think)
> north and a bit west of Caldera. You can do what she asks (escort to Gnar
> Mok) or just kill her. She's a con artist so don't feel too bad. You need
> resist magicka 100% for a few seconds every time you put on the boots, or
> you go blind.

And I'd get that - how? Sorry, I'm really new to this game, and I have no
idea how to go about creating items like this. Everything I'm using is
stuff I found somewhere. Granted, I've got a pretty good warhammer and a
nice 2-handed axe which I switch off regularly, both of them are enchanted,
and I can pretty much kill anything with them. And I found a nice set of
armor off a dead body outside that place on the map to the east of
Falasmaryon (I forget the name, and the paper map doesn't say.) But I've
been using mostly the same gear since pretty near the beginning of the game
now, since I haven't found anything better. Are you expected to make all
your own gear if you want to get ahead?

> I don't like fixed duration levitate (potion or staff), as it can make
> indoor movement difficult. Instead, enchant an exquisite amulet with a
> constant effect 8 point levitate, and just equip it and de-equip as
needed.

Okay, I looked at this enchanting business, and it seemed to me to be
extraordinarily expensive. How on earth do you get enough money to afford
this sort of thing?
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:22:09 AM

Pete MC wrote:
> JC wrote:
>

>>I don't like fixed duration levitate (potion or staff), as it can make
>>indoor movement difficult. Instead, enchant an exquisite amulet with a
>>constant effect 8 point levitate, and just equip it and de-equip as needed.
>

> Once your char is tough enough to take out the pre-requ golden
> soulgem-filler of course - until then you're kind of stuck with
> fixed-duration effects. I find the biggest problem with these isn't
> indoor navigation but losing count of when its due to wear off and
> suddenly plummeting from the sky like that poor guy outside Seyda Neen!

I find the trick is to fly so high that you have ample time to recast
it, I remember once it took me about 1-2 mins to reach the ground ;)

~Cameron
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:22:10 AM

Cameron wrote:

> Pete MC wrote:
> > JC wrote:
> >

> >>I don't like fixed duration levitate (potion or staff), as it can make
> >>indoor movement difficult. Instead, enchant an exquisite amulet with a
> >>constant effect 8 point levitate, and just equip it and de-equip as needed.
> >

> > Once your char is tough enough to take out the pre-requ golden
> > soulgem-filler of course - until then you're kind of stuck with
> > fixed-duration effects. I find the biggest problem with these isn't
> > indoor navigation but losing count of when its due to wear off and
> > suddenly plummeting from the sky like that poor guy outside Seyda Neen!
>
> I find the trick is to fly so high that you have ample time to recast
> it, I remember once it took me about 1-2 mins to reach the ground ;)

Wow, that's high! Hey, I wonder what you could see from up there with
the FPS Optimizer suitable tweeked?
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 1:02:07 AM

Pete MC wrote:
> Cameron wrote:
>
>>Pete MC wrote:

>>>Once your char is tough enough to take out the pre-requ golden
>>>soulgem-filler of course - until then you're kind of stuck with
>>>fixed-duration effects. I find the biggest problem with these isn't
>>>indoor navigation but losing count of when its due to wear off and
>>>suddenly plummeting from the sky like that poor guy outside Seyda Neen!
>>
>>I find the trick is to fly so high that you have ample time to recast
>>it, I remember once it took me about 1-2 mins to reach the ground ;)
>

> Wow, that's high! Hey, I wonder what you could see from up there with
> the FPS Optimizer suitable tweeked?

Hmmm I doubt the game can load multiple areas at once, so if you are
looking for a view of all of Vvardenfell I doubt it hehe.

~Cameron
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 11:02:56 PM

>> The Boots of Blinding Speed are on a character (Pemine or some such I
> think)
>> north and a bit west of Caldera. You can do what she asks (escort to Gnar
>> Mok) or just kill her. She's a con artist so don't feel too bad. You need
>> resist magicka 100% for a few seconds every time you put on the boots, or
>> you go blind.
>
> And I'd get that - how?

Hello Darrel, long time no see..... Not playing D2 any more?

For resist magicka, probably the easiest way is to buy an existing 'resist
magicka' spell (I think at least one of the vendors in the mage guilds will
sell you one) - don't worry about the actual length and strength of the
spell - any will do...

Now go to one of the mage guild vendors who offers 'spell making' and you
can then make a resist magicka on self for 1 second spell - with a magnitude
of 100 - 100....

You'll need to make sure your skill levels are high enough to be able to
cast it, but that shouldnt take long... if not you can still use a weaker
spell and maybe a potion or item and the boots will only make you partially
blind!
October 23, 2004 5:52:11 PM

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> > The Boots of Blinding Speed are on a character (Pemine or some such I
> think)
> > north and a bit west of Caldera. You can do what she asks (escort to
Gnar
> > Mok) or just kill her. She's a con artist so don't feel too bad. You
need
> > resist magicka 100% for a few seconds every time you put on the boots,
or
> > you go blind.
>
> And I'd get that - how? Sorry, I'm really new to this game, and I have no
> idea how to go about creating items like this. Everything I'm using is
> stuff I found somewhere. Granted, I've got a pretty good warhammer and a
> nice 2-handed axe which I switch off regularly, both of them are
enchanted,
> and I can pretty much kill anything with them. And I found a nice set of
> armor off a dead body outside that place on the map to the east of
> Falasmaryon (I forget the name, and the paper map doesn't say.) But I've
> been using mostly the same gear since pretty near the beginning of the
game
> now, since I haven't found anything better. Are you expected to make all
> your own gear if you want to get ahead?

Earth Angel explained how to get the 100% resist magicka.

About getting better gear - it depends. Some of the best items, such as the
Boots of Blinding Speed, Amulet of Shadows, Necromancer's Amulet, Azura's
Star, etc, are unique items that can only be found - not made. In addition,
there are a lot of moderately nice items lying around for the taking.

But I find that by the time I'm halfway to 75% through the game I'm only
using magic wepons that I have enchanted myself, using Golden Saints to get
the maximum number of charges.

> > I don't like fixed duration levitate (potion or staff), as it can make
> > indoor movement difficult. Instead, enchant an exquisite amulet with a
> > constant effect 8 point levitate, and just equip it and de-equip as
> needed.
>
> Okay, I looked at this enchanting business, and it seemed to me to be
> extraordinarily expensive. How on earth do you get enough money to afford
> this sort of thing?

Again it depends on how you want to play the game.If you want to role play
it can take a fair while to get enough money. The best way to do this is to
knock over as many Daedra shrines as you can - once you get strong enough to
survive the attempt. This will often get you Daedric or ebony weapons that
can be sold or traded for lots of cash. The only problem here is that most
merchants in the basic game have very little money (although the scamp in
Caldera has 5000 GP per day, and there is a mudcrab south east of Suran that
has 10000 GP per day). The Tribunal expansion adds some richer merchants.

If you don't mind using exploits you don't even need money to enchant your
own items. All you need are some easy to obtain alchemical ingredients. This
trick has been discussed many times in this group, but basically you make
some fortify intelligence potions (using ash yams, bloat or netch leather -
two ingredients needed) and drink them. Then you make some fortify luck
potions (using guar hide, corkbulb root or corpus weepings - again two
ingedients needed) and drink them. Repeat these two steps as many times as
you can and your luck and intelligence will be boosted to astronomical
levels. Once these stats have been boosted you can enchant your own items
with 100% chance of success - at no cost apart from the need for a good
weapon with no enchantment and some soul gems with the toughest creatures
you can get. Golden saints or ascended sleepers are generally the best
(apart from a couple of would be Gods that you meet eventually). Generally
ebony or daedric weapons can hold the best enchantments, although even a
silver weapon can hold a useful enchantment.

JC

ps. It just occurred to me that it might not be obvious how to make potions,
but the procedure is explained in the manual.
!