IP5000 Advice Required

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
May 30, 2005 1:33:40 AM

Inkjets if not used will 'clog up'.

If not used for a period of time, obviously one should print say a
small picture or a small test pattern using all the printers
colour's to prevent clogging.

How often should this be, every 2 or 3 days say, could it be a touch
longer?

Not easy to say I know, and can well understand different makes,
different models even will have their own 'quirks'.

I 'tossed' the C62 an planning on getting the pixma 5000 and want want
to avoid the 'Epson Syndrome' which I doubt I will catch with a
Canon.

Davy

More about : ip5000 advice required

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:55:37 AM

Davy wrote:

> Inkjets if not used will 'clog up'.
>
> If not used for a period of time, obviously one should print say a
> small picture or a small test pattern using all the printers
> colour's to prevent clogging.
>
> How often should this be, every 2 or 3 days say, could it be a touch
> longer?
>
> Not easy to say I know, and can well understand different makes,
> different models even will have their own 'quirks'.
>
> I 'tossed' the C62 an planning on getting the pixma 5000 and want want
> to avoid the 'Epson Syndrome' which I doubt I will catch with a
> Canon.

You can relax. I have the iP5000 and it never clogs or requires head
cleans, and I don't even use OEM ink. In fact, I haven't even registered
it yet and I've had it since Christmas. I guess that shows that I'm not
exactly worried it will shortly die on me.

My heavier load printer is the i860 which I use for everyday documents,
manuals and not that important photos and lesser special projects. My
highest quality work is reserved for the iP5000. If the printhead goes
on either printer I can get a new one from eBay for around $55 (US).

If I have nothing special planned for the iP5000 one week, I'll just
print a shopping list (in color) or something, just to keep it happy.
Printers do get jealous when ignored. I'm sure you can go weeks without
printing anything before it may or may not clog. But it doesn't hurt
to print a little document once a week to be on the safe side. You
certainly won't be disappointed with the iP5000.

-Taliesyn
May 30, 2005 8:33:13 AM

Many thanks to you both

It's just that I was caught with the 'Woe of Epson' and got so use to
doing a daily print.

Now I can relax, hope to have the ip5000 shortly.

"I'm so fearful..... I have to put a lock and key on the dustbin lid -
to stop the Epson from creeping out and coming back"....Lol....

Davy
May 30, 2005 8:51:17 AM

I haven't experienced problems with clogging on any of my Canon inkjets.
Some of them have been left unused for extended periods and they print just
fine. Years ago, I did have a problem with an HP720C. If it wasn't used at
least every few days the print cartridges clogged pretty bad. After buying
several replacement cartridges, I gave up on that one and went with a
Lexmark 5700 which never clogged. It just had such short cartridge life that
it was not economically practical to use. Since 2000 it's been Canon all the
way. No clogging and since I refill, virtually no ink costs.

Ron

"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Davy wrote:
>
>> Inkjets if not used will 'clog up'.
>>
>> If not used for a period of time, obviously one should print say a
>> small picture or a small test pattern using all the printers
>> colour's to prevent clogging.
>>
>> How often should this be, every 2 or 3 days say, could it be a touch
>> longer?
>>
>> Not easy to say I know, and can well understand different makes,
>> different models even will have their own 'quirks'.
>>
>> I 'tossed' the C62 an planning on getting the pixma 5000 and want want
>> to avoid the 'Epson Syndrome' which I doubt I will catch with a
>> Canon.
>>

> You can relax. I have the iP5000 and it never clogs or requires head
> cleans, and I don't even use OEM ink. In fact, I haven't even registered
> it yet and I've had it since Christmas. I guess that shows that I'm not
> exactly worried it will shortly die on me.
>
> My heavier load printer is the i860 which I use for everyday documents,
> manuals and not that important photos and lesser special projects. My
> highest quality work is reserved for the iP5000. If the printhead goes
> on either printer I can get a new one from eBay for around $55 (US).
>
> If I have nothing special planned for the iP5000 one week, I'll just
> print a shopping list (in color) or something, just to keep it happy.
> Printers do get jealous when ignored. I'm sure you can go weeks without
> printing anything before it may or may not clog. But it doesn't hurt
> to print a little document once a week to be on the safe side. You
> certainly won't be disappointed with the iP5000.
>
> -Taliesyn
May 30, 2005 10:33:10 AM

Patrick
Things ARE certainly looking up, the Epson I had just loved to clog,
my guess it would get used every 2 or 3 day's.

So looks like we've cured the 'Curse of Epson', thanks for info.

Davy
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 2:03:58 PM

> If not used for a period of time, obviously one should print say a
> small picture or a small test pattern using all the printers
> colour's to prevent clogging.
>
> How often should this be, every 2 or 3 days say, could it be a touch
> longer?

I've never had a clog with Canon. When I replaced my i850 with the IP5000 I
was going to keep the i850 for a back up. As this 'back up' would probably
end up never being used I emailed canon asking the best way to store it.
They replied saying that if the printer was not going to be used for a long
period they recommended printing a test pattern once every two weeks.

Having said that, on occasions I haven't printer anything for more than two
weeks and have never had a clog.

--
Patrick
May 30, 2005 5:47:43 PM

"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Inkjets if not used will 'clog up'.
>
> If not used for a period of time, obviously one should print say a
> small picture or a small test pattern using all the printers
> colour's to prevent clogging.
>
> How often should this be, every 2 or 3 days say, could it be a touch
> longer?
>
> Not easy to say I know, and can well understand different makes,
> different models even will have their own 'quirks'.
>
> I 'tossed' the C62 an planning on getting the pixma 5000 and want want
> to avoid the 'Epson Syndrome' which I doubt I will catch with a
> Canon.
>
> Davy

Then welcome to the Canon Syndrome which will give you a whole new set of
problems.
May 30, 2005 6:34:32 PM

> Shooterwrote:

> Then welcome to the Canon Syndrome which will give you a whole new
set of
> problems.
>
> Davy say's,
> Since you love to quote maybe you would like to come out with some
facts or is this just a LOOSE CANON.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:23:14 PM

"Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
> Years ago, I did have a problem with an HP720C. If it wasn't used at least
> every few days the print cartridges clogged pretty bad. After buying several
> replacement cartridges, I gave up on that one

If you had a clogging problem in a few days it was probably due to a failure of
the printer to properly cap. Your printer probably needed service, this is
certainly not the normal behavior. Typically a DeskJet 720 would be able to
sit for months and start up with out clogging.

Regards,
May 30, 2005 11:27:55 PM

In all fairness, every printer mfgr and each of their models has inherent
weaknesses and strengths. for the best information on Canon
printers/inks/papers - go to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and also
follow the link on that site to Neil Slade's site and read all of his
sections. We only have one totally loose canon on this site and he will
undoubtedly follow this post with name calling and his usual misinformation.
Best to disregard him and not bother to respond, except to correct his
biased, defamatory posts.

>> Shooterwrote:
>
>> Then welcome to the Canon Syndrome which will give you a whole new
> set of
>> problems.
>>
>> Davy say's,
>> Since you love to quote maybe you would like to come out with some
> facts or is this just a LOOSE CANON.

May 31, 2005 12:33:49 AM

> Shooterwrote:

> I seemed to recall that you purchased a low end printer to use as a
high
> output unit and it failed so perhaps you are also a loose canon :-)

Davy say's
Yes it was a low end printer, and no it was'nt subject to heavy work
load, and no I did not want nor expect top quality prints from it.

But if people make comments don't you think they should give facts.

Then welcome to the Canon Syndrome which will
give you a whole new set of
problems. you like to quote but where are the
FACTS, maybe you will now say what problems are to be expected from
the Canons.

I am not interested what you did or did'nt do in court nor what you
had for breakfast but you only quoted what I had said with half a
sentance that you added which carried very little detail.

I am very sure if you knew, than you would have come out with the
facts, instead of half a sentance.

NOW THAT IS A LOOSE CANON

Davy
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:46:38 AM

Ron Cohen wrote:
> I haven't experienced problems with clogging on any of my Canon
> inkjets. Some of them have been left unused for extended periods and
> they print just fine. Years ago, I did have a problem with an HP720C.
> If it wasn't used at least every few days the print cartridges
> clogged pretty bad. After buying several replacement cartridges, I
> gave up on that one and went with a Lexmark 5700 which never clogged.
> It just had such short cartridge life that it was not economically
> practical to use. Since 2000 it's been Canon all the way. No clogging
> and since I refill, virtually no ink costs.

How many canon's did you replace? I'm asking because i did refill my old
i550 and head died after 18 months - not clogged, but inks begin to mix...
Now i have ip4000 and i'm hesitating about refilling again...currently i
bought Pelikan carts, which are half price of canon's but still...
in my country there's only one real ink supplier (well, i could buy cheeeeap
ones in a supermarket, but i never did), ink seems good, and also in a
period of 18 months printer printed perfectly, but i'm still hesitating...

> Ron
>

> "Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Davy wrote:
>>
>>> Inkjets if not used will 'clog up'.
>>>
>>> If not used for a period of time, obviously one should print say a
>>> small picture or a small test pattern using all the printers
>>> colour's to prevent clogging.
>>>
>>> How often should this be, every 2 or 3 days say, could it be a
>>> touch longer?
>>>
>>> Not easy to say I know, and can well understand different makes,
>>> different models even will have their own 'quirks'.
>>>
>>> I 'tossed' the C62 an planning on getting the pixma 5000 and want
>>> want to avoid the 'Epson Syndrome' which I doubt I will catch with
>>> a Canon.
>>>

>> You can relax. I have the iP5000 and it never clogs or requires head
>> cleans, and I don't even use OEM ink. In fact, I haven't even
>> registered it yet and I've had it since Christmas. I guess that
>> shows that I'm not exactly worried it will shortly die on me.
>>
>> My heavier load printer is the i860 which I use for everyday
>> documents, manuals and not that important photos and lesser special
>> projects. My highest quality work is reserved for the iP5000. If the
>> printhead goes on either printer I can get a new one from eBay for
>> around $55 (US). If I have nothing special planned for the iP5000 one
>> week, I'll just
>> print a shopping list (in color) or something, just to keep it happy.
>> Printers do get jealous when ignored. I'm sure you can go weeks
>> without printing anything before it may or may not clog. But it
>> doesn't hurt to print a little document once a week to be on the safe
>> side. You
>> certainly won't be disappointed with the iP5000.
>>
>> -Taliesyn
May 31, 2005 12:46:39 AM

Sleeper - for more information about Canon printers, head maintenance, and
inks, go to the following link -
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and also follow the link to Neil Slade's
site. Lots of great information regarding maintenance, prevention of head
clogs, and a great deal of shared knowledge about various inks in the
marketplace.

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Ron Cohen wrote:
>> I haven't experienced problems with clogging on any of my Canon
>> inkjets. Some of them have been left unused for extended periods and
>> they print just fine. Years ago, I did have a problem with an HP720C.
>> If it wasn't used at least every few days the print cartridges
>> clogged pretty bad. After buying several replacement cartridges, I
>> gave up on that one and went with a Lexmark 5700 which never clogged.
>> It just had such short cartridge life that it was not economically
>> practical to use. Since 2000 it's been Canon all the way. No clogging
>> and since I refill, virtually no ink costs.
>
> How many canon's did you replace? I'm asking because i did refill my old
> i550 and head died after 18 months - not clogged, but inks begin to mix...
> Now i have ip4000 and i'm hesitating about refilling again...currently i
> bought Pelikan carts, which are half price of canon's but still...
> in my country there's only one real ink supplier (well, i could buy
> cheeeeap ones in a supermarket, but i never did), ink seems good, and also
> in a period of 18 months printer printed perfectly, but i'm still
> hesitating...
>

>> Ron
>>

>> "Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message

>>> You can relax. I have the iP5000 and it never clogs or requires head
>>> cleans, and I don't even use OEM ink. In fact, I haven't even
>>> registered it yet and I've had it since Christmas. I guess that
>>> shows that I'm not exactly worried it will shortly die on me.
>>>
>>> My heavier load printer is the i860 which I use for everyday
>>> documents, manuals and not that important photos and lesser special
>>> projects. My highest quality work is reserved for the iP5000. If the
>>> printhead goes on either printer I can get a new one from eBay for
>>> around $55 (US). If I have nothing special planned for the iP5000 one
>>> week, I'll just
>>> print a shopping list (in color) or something, just to keep it happy.
>>> Printers do get jealous when ignored. I'm sure you can go weeks
>>> without printing anything before it may or may not clog. But it
>>> doesn't hurt to print a little document once a week to be on the safe
>>> side. You
>>> certainly won't be disappointed with the iP5000.
>>>
>>> -Taliesyn

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:46:39 AM

SleeperMan wrote:

>Ron Cohen wrote:
>

>>I haven't experienced problems with clogging on any of my Canon
>>inkjets. Some of them have been left unused for extended periods and
>>they print just fine. Years ago, I did have a problem with an HP720C.
>>If it wasn't used at least every few days the print cartridges
>>clogged pretty bad. After buying several replacement cartridges, I
>>gave up on that one and went with a Lexmark 5700 which never clogged.
>>It just had such short cartridge life that it was not economically
>>practical to use. Since 2000 it's been Canon all the way. No clogging
>>and since I refill, virtually no ink costs.
>>

>How many canon's did you replace? I'm asking because i did refill my old
>i550 and head died after 18 months - not clogged, but inks begin to mix...
>Now i have ip4000 and i'm hesitating about refilling again...currently i
>bought Pelikan carts, which are half price of canon's but still...
>in my country there's only one real ink supplier (well, i could buy cheeeeap
>ones in a supermarket, but i never did), ink seems good, and also in a
>period of 18 months printer printed perfectly, but i'm still hesitating...

You said it - "supplier" not a manufacturer/formulator selling you
unnammed UNBRANDED ink. You do not know what you are getting nor is
there consistency even if they told you.

>>Ron
>>

>>"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message

>>>You can relax. I have the iP5000 and it never clogs or requires head
>>>cleans, and I don't even use OEM ink. In fact, I haven't even
>>>registered it yet and I've had it since Christmas. I guess that
>>>shows that I'm not exactly worried it will shortly die on me.
>>>
>>>My heavier load printer is the i860 which I use for everyday
>>>documents, manuals and not that important photos and lesser special
>>>projects. My highest quality work is reserved for the iP5000. If the
>>>printhead goes on either printer I can get a new one from eBay for
>>>around $55 (US). If I have nothing special planned for the iP5000 one
>>>week, I'll just
>>>print a shopping list (in color) or something, just to keep it happy.
>>>Printers do get jealous when ignored. I'm sure you can go weeks
>>>without printing anything before it may or may not clog. But it
>>>doesn't hurt to print a little document once a week to be on the safe
>>>side. You
>>>certainly won't be disappointed with the iP5000.
>>>
>>>-Taliesyn

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:33:33 AM

Bob Headrick wrote:

>"Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
>

>>Years ago, I did have a problem with an HP720C. If it wasn't used at least
>>every few days the print cartridges clogged pretty bad. After buying several
>>replacement cartridges, I gave up on that one
>>

>If you had a clogging problem in a few days it was probably due to a failure of
>the printer to properly cap. Your printer probably needed service, this is
>certainly not the normal behavior. Typically a DeskJet 720 would be able to
>sit for months and start up with out clogging.

My 990 can. I am curious as to what HP considers the current successor
to the HP990Cse?

>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 10:22:46 AM

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Ron Cohen wrote:
>> I haven't experienced problems with clogging on any of my Canon
>> inkjets. Some of them have been left unused for extended periods and
>> they print just fine. Years ago, I did have a problem with an HP720C.
>> If it wasn't used at least every few days the print cartridges
>> clogged pretty bad. After buying several replacement cartridges, I
>> gave up on that one and went with a Lexmark 5700 which never clogged.
>> It just had such short cartridge life that it was not economically
>> practical to use. Since 2000 it's been Canon all the way. No clogging
>> and since I refill, virtually no ink costs.
>
> How many canon's did you replace? I'm asking because i did refill my old
> i550 and head died after 18 months - not clogged, but inks begin to mix...
> Now i have ip4000 and i'm hesitating about refilling again...currently i
> bought Pelikan carts, which are half price of canon's but still...
> in my country there's only one real ink supplier (well, i could buy
> cheeeeap ones in a supermarket, but i never did), ink seems good, and also
> in a period of 18 months printer printed perfectly, but i'm still
> hesitating...
>

>> Ron

I haven't replaced any up to this point. I've given the s820's and i950 to
both of my daughters. The s820's don't get the usage they formerly had, but
they are still running ok and the i950 still does a lot of photos. My iP4000
does most of the work now. I still have an old BJC-3000 that I'm tempted to
fire up again just to see if it's still alive. I've also got a new iP1500
that came as a freebie with a computer purchase a few weeks ago. If I can
ever get my office cleaned up and a little room for another printer, I'll
see what it can do. As to the 18 month longevity of the print head, there
have been several threads in the past discussing the limited lifespan of
Canon print heads. The discussions centered around the fact that it didn't
seem to matter how much printing or what ink was used (OEM or 3rd party),
they all seemed to fail after a certain period of time. Check out a thread
on www.nifty-stuff.com It describes what you are referring to and the cause.
The OP even went so far as to disassemble a print head and (I think)
reassembled it and it worked ok.

Ron
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 10:28:11 AM

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

> "Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
>> Years ago, I did have a problem with an HP720C. If it wasn't used at
>> least every few days the print cartridges clogged pretty bad. After
>> buying several replacement cartridges, I gave up on that one
>
> If you had a clogging problem in a few days it was probably due to a
> failure of the printer to properly cap. Your printer probably needed
> service, this is certainly not the normal behavior. Typically a DeskJet
> 720 would be able to sit for months and start up with out clogging.
>
> Regards,

I still have the 720c on a shelf. Is the failure to cap a difficult or
costly repair? If it could be fixed (cheap), I'd be willing to donate it to
a charity or non-profit org. I sure don't need it sitting around here taking
up space.

Ron
May 31, 2005 12:33:19 PM

Pardon me, you did say syndrome, BUT WHAT syndrome ?

Syndrome =
A pattern of behaviour, a pattern of events, a characteristic of some
problem or condition.

Davy
May 31, 2005 3:09:59 PM

Fine, you go and do your own research and don't expect others to give you a
short cut. As it happens I don't think I mentioned what I hove for
breakfast, As I said, Welcome to the Canon syndrome, it don't take a
Einstein to work it out. My reply gave you the exact amount of detail that
I wished to share with you without giving you hearsay, you know Joe said
this, Fred said that, and left out any variables as to why this happened to
them like did they cause the problem, was the item faulty when purchased,
90% of the problems in this group are self inflicted. so really you are back
to doing your own in depth research and the only reason I mentioned the
courts is because even when researched well a poor choice in printer can
still be made, but that seems to deep for your understanding. However lets
hope you are able to make the right choice this time but I have doubts, I
think you will be back in this group within a short time of purchase, that's
the nature of the beast, and in that I refer to printers and not you.

> > Shooterwrote:
>

> > I seemed to recall that you purchased a low end printer to use as a
> high
> > output unit and it failed so perhaps you are also a loose canon :-)
>
> Davy say's
> Yes it was a low end printer, and no it was'nt subject to heavy work
> load, and no I did not want nor expect top quality prints from it.
>
> But if people make comments don't you think they should give facts.
>
> Then welcome to the Canon Syndrome which will
> give you a whole new set of
> problems. you like to quote but where are the
> FACTS, maybe you will now say what problems are to be expected from
> the Canons.
>
> I am not interested what you did or did'nt do in court nor what you
> had for breakfast but you only quoted what I had said with half a
> sentance that you added which carried very little detail.
>
> I am very sure if you knew, than you would have come out with the
> facts, instead of half a sentance.
>
> NOW THAT IS A LOOSE CANON
>
> Davy

May 31, 2005 4:36:49 PM

Exactly.....

> Pardon me, you did say syndrome, BUT WHAT syndrome ?
>
> Syndrome =
> A pattern of behaviour, a pattern of events, a characteristic of some
> problem or condition.
>
> Davy

June 1, 2005 6:33:58 PM

[quote="Arthur Entlich"

I have yet to see an Epson head damaged by air bubbles. An air lock
can
cause the ink not to flow until it is corrected, however, although
rare
since most of the time the purging process will remove the air
bubble.

Davy say's
Sorry Arthur
I did not say air bubble damages heads Epson said it, would you like
me to E- mail you the letter?

And whilst on subject.
I did not say "you must never ever do a nozzle clean more than 6 times
or heads will be damaged". Epson technical said it, but
unfortunately you will have to take my word as this was on the
telephone.!

Davy
June 1, 2005 7:34:28 PM

No problem with your comment's at all Arthur
Yes conjecture is the very word, but to end I never wanted a super
dooper singin', dancin' printer, all I wanted was a general purpose
printer that worked

and in this day and age it ought not to be an impossibliity now should
it, simply if it is'nt going to be reliable then it should not have
been put on the market.

Yes we do live in a throw away society, shame, but we do and the
reason is things are massed produced.

Really....! all I hear is a cheap printer - low end not gonna last
long, bottom of the range. I bought a Samsung laser printer ML1510
about £48 uk. and its still going strong after 3 toner refills with
the original toner tank drum, sure does beat the hell out of a C62.

But to have two items break down in the same way, in the same time
leaves a lot to be desired and once more Epson are not even
concerend.

It will be a long time before I trust that brand again.

Davy.
June 1, 2005 9:23:15 PM

Shooter wrote:

> When you talk about the best camera from either Canon or Nikon you are
> somewhat off track as you seem to forget, if you every knew, that they are
> film cameras you are comparing. I still have, and use a Nikon F4 because it
> is a dream to use but is a real pain to carry a bag full of lens around. I
> now use digital compacts of 6 & 7 mp and often compare the photo's taken on
> both. Even now the 35mm film camera leaves the digi standing, no doubt that
> will change as digital products improve. So what is your meaning that Canon
> cameras are second rate to Nikon, that's the biggest load of balls I have
> read in quite a time. Canon or Nikon has nothing to do with taking pictures
> it's the person using the camera that produces the result. So which is best,
> it's marketing hype that sells the cameras and printers to snappers like you
> and Davy. I will put money on, that the leaking head Davy had was most
> likely caused by injecting cleaner directly into the heads and to much
> pressure from the syringe caused the head to weep. You know the saying,
> desperate measures by desperate people.

Hey Shooter, this clowns mommy bought him a Canon ip5000 (which he still
sleeps with) and now he thinks all things Canon is the only way to go.
He doesn't have a clue about printers or cameras or for that matter,
life itself.
I suggest you kill file his useless ass if you haven't already.
Frank
June 1, 2005 10:34:25 PM

> Ivor Floppywrote:
"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message
> Arthur Entlichwrote:
[quote="Arthur Entlich"

> I have yet to see an Epson head damaged by air bubbles. An air
lock
> can
>
> Epson Said AIR BUBBLES---------------------Davy said that
>

> cause the ink not to flow until it is corrected, however, although
> rare since most of the time the purging process will remove the air
> bubble.
>
> Oh, AUTO HEAD CLEAN eh, well I never.........................Davy
said that

> Davy say's
> Sorry Arthur
> I did not say air bubble damages heads Epson said it, would you
like
> me to E- mail you the letter?
>
> Correct----------------------Davy did say that
>

> And whilst on subject.
> I did not say "you must never ever do a nozzle clean more than 6
times
> or heads will be damaged". Epson technical said it, but
> unfortunately you will have to take my word as this was on the
> telephone.!
>
> Correct----------------------Davy said that
>
> Seems a little strange then that the printer will *allow* you to do
as many

"Ink Guzzler" sound familier eh
It wastes ink and you forgot it was in overdrive----------Davy said
that

head cleans in a row as you feel like doing....wouldn't that be
classed as
negligent on Epson's

No Mi lord, it just does what it does NATURALLY-----Davy said that
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:18:10 AM

Davy wrote:

>[quote="Arthur Entlich"
>
>I have yet to see an Epson head damaged by air bubbles. An air lock
>can
>cause the ink not to flow until it is corrected, however, although
>rare
>since most of the time the purging process will remove the air
>bubble.
>
>Davy say's
>Sorry Arthur
>I did not say air bubble damages heads Epson said it, would you like
>me to E- mail you the letter?

Artie Fartie thinks he is a know it all. Him and the pious one think
they know everything. Cut from the same cloth.

>And whilst on subject.
>I did not say "you must never ever do a nozzle clean more than 6 times
>or heads will be damaged". Epson technical said it, but
>unfortunately you will have to take my word

Not likely.

>as this was on the
>telephone.!
>
>Davy

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:26:58 AM

"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> [quote="Arthur Entlich"
>
> I have yet to see an Epson head damaged by air bubbles. An air lock
> can
> cause the ink not to flow until it is corrected, however, although
> rare
> since most of the time the purging process will remove the air
> bubble.
>
> Davy say's
> Sorry Arthur
> I did not say air bubble damages heads Epson said it, would you like
> me to E- mail you the letter?
>

> And whilst on subject.
> I did not say "you must never ever do a nozzle clean more than 6 times
> or heads will be damaged". Epson technical said it, but
> unfortunately you will have to take my word as this was on the
> telephone.!
>
> Davy

Seems a little strange then that the printer will *allow* you to do as many
head cleans in a row as you feel like doing....wouldn't that be classed as
negligent on Epson's part?
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:09:18 AM

> I still have the 720c on a shelf. Is the failure to cap a difficult or costly
> repair? If it could be fixed (cheap), I'd be willing to donate it to a
> charity or non-profit org. I sure don't need it sitting around here taking up
> space.

I would suspect the cap has just become dislodged. I will look for a 720 and
take a look at what might be the problem and post a suggestion. I have tried
to email you in the past, that does not seem to ever work :-).

Regards,
June 2, 2005 2:44:34 AM

> Shooterwrote:
I will put money on, that the leaking head Davy had was most
> likely caused by injecting cleaner directly into the heads and to
much
> pressure from the syringe caused the head to weep. You know the
saying,
> desperate measures by desperate people.
>

> No no did nothing like that, as a last resort I squirted cleaner
onto the face not inside the top - made no difference still printed
same.

> Its probably in a big hole somewhere on the face of this earth now
....Lol
June 2, 2005 2:44:35 AM

Here where's the reverand....!
June 2, 2005 2:51:38 AM

All this whinging, is it not possible you may have caused the problem
yourself ????

> No problem with your comment's at all Arthur
> Yes conjecture is the very word, but to end I never wanted a super
> dooper singin', dancin' printer, all I wanted was a general purpose
> printer that worked
>
> and in this day and age it ought not to be an impossibliity now should
> it, simply if it is'nt going to be reliable then it should not have
> been put on the market.
>
> Yes we do live in a throw away society, shame, but we do and the
> reason is things are massed produced.
>
> Really....! all I hear is a cheap printer - low end not gonna last
> long, bottom of the range. I bought a Samsung laser printer ML1510
> about £48 uk. and its still going strong after 3 toner refills with
> the original toner tank drum, sure does beat the hell out of a C62.
>
> But to have two items break down in the same way, in the same time
> leaves a lot to be desired and once more Epson are not even
> concerend.
>
> It will be a long time before I trust that brand again.
>
> Davy.

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:56:04 AM

If I had the time to decode your quotes from the rest of the message I'd
probably bother replying, but as you can't be bothered to quote in a way
that is readable I'm putting you into my ignored posters until you do.

>> Ivor Floppywrote:
> "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
> message
>> Arthur Entlichwrote:
> [quote="Arthur Entlich"
>>
>> I have yet to see an Epson head damaged by air bubbles. An air
> lock
>> can
>>
>> Epson Said AIR BUBBLES---------------------Davy said that
>>

>> cause the ink not to flow until it is corrected, however, although
>> rare since most of the time the purging process will remove the air
>> bubble.
>>
>> Oh, AUTO HEAD CLEAN eh, well I never.........................Davy
> said that
>>
>> Davy say's
>> Sorry Arthur
>> I did not say air bubble damages heads Epson said it, would you
> like
>> me to E- mail you the letter?
>>
>> Correct----------------------Davy did say that
>>

>> And whilst on subject.
>> I did not say "you must never ever do a nozzle clean more than 6
> times
>> or heads will be damaged". Epson technical said it, but
>> unfortunately you will have to take my word as this was on the
>> telephone.!
>>
>> Correct----------------------Davy said that
>>
>> Seems a little strange then that the printer will *allow* you to do
> as many
>

> "Ink Guzzler" sound familier eh
> It wastes ink and you forgot it was in overdrive----------Davy said
> that
>

> head cleans in a row as you feel like doing....wouldn't that be
> classed as
> negligent on Epson's
>
> No Mi lord, it just does what it does NATURALLY-----Davy said that

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 3:12:23 AM

I doubt he did. Although most of the people that have many problems can
trace it down to aftermarket inks of one sort or another. But they do
not know who made that faulty ink so they cannot tell anyone. This
happens to be one of the bad characteristics of the aftermarket industry.

Now I do expect Artie Fartie and Burtie Furtie or on of their disciples
to counter that because they had such a wonderful experience.

Shooter wrote:

>All this whinging, is it not possible you may have caused the problem
>yourself ????
>

>"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>

>>No problem with your comment's at all Arthur
>>Yes conjecture is the very word, but to end I never wanted a super
>>dooper singin', dancin' printer, all I wanted was a general purpose
>>printer that worked
>>
>>and in this day and age it ought not to be an impossibliity now should
>>it, simply if it is'nt going to be reliable then it should not have
>>been put on the market.
>>
>>Yes we do live in a throw away society, shame, but we do and the
>>reason is things are massed produced.
>>
>>Really....! all I hear is a cheap printer - low end not gonna last
>>long, bottom of the range. I bought a Samsung laser printer ML1510
>>about £48 uk. and its still going strong after 3 toner refills with
>>the original toner tank drum, sure does beat the hell out of a C62.
>>
>>But to have two items break down in the same way, in the same time
>>leaves a lot to be desired and once more Epson are not even
>>concerend.
>>
>>It will be a long time before I trust that brand again.
>>
>>Davy.

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 3:15:14 AM

Floppy Dropie drops another who bites the dust.

These are all threats. Burtie Furtie, Artie Fartie, and Frankie Crankie
all promised to put me in the ignore file but I always can count on them
to respond. Right Girls :-P :-D :-*

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>If I had the time to decode your quotes from the rest of the message I'd
>probably bother replying, but as you can't be bothered to quote in a way
>that is readable I'm putting you into my ignored posters until you do.
>
>"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>

>>>Ivor Floppywrote:
>>>

>>"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
>>message

>>>Arthur Entlichwrote:
>>>

>>[quote="Arthur Entlich"
>>

>>>I have yet to see an Epson head damaged by air bubbles. An air
>>>

>>lock
>>

>>>can
>>>
>>>Epson Said AIR BUBBLES---------------------Davy said that
>>>

>>>cause the ink not to flow until it is corrected, however, although
>>>rare since most of the time the purging process will remove the air
>>>bubble.
>>>
>>>Oh, AUTO HEAD CLEAN eh, well I never.........................Davy
>>>

>>said that
>>

>>>Davy say's
>>>Sorry Arthur
>>>I did not say air bubble damages heads Epson said it, would you
>>>

>>like
>>

>>>me to E- mail you the letter?
>>>
>>>Correct----------------------Davy did say that
>>>

>>>And whilst on subject.
>>>I did not say "you must never ever do a nozzle clean more than 6
>>>

>>times
>>

>>>or heads will be damaged". Epson technical said it, but
>>>unfortunately you will have to take my word as this was on the
>>>telephone.!
>>>
>>>Correct----------------------Davy said that
>>>
>>>Seems a little strange then that the printer will *allow* you to do
>>>

>>as many
>>

>>"Ink Guzzler" sound familier eh
>>It wastes ink and you forgot it was in overdrive----------Davy said
>>that
>>

>>head cleans in a row as you feel like doing....wouldn't that be
>>classed as
>>negligent on Epson's
>>
>>No Mi lord, it just does what it does NATURALLY-----Davy said that

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 5:46:28 AM

Frank wrote:

> Shooter wrote:
>
>> When you talk about the best camera from either Canon or Nikon you are
>> somewhat off track as you seem to forget, if you every knew, that
>> they are
>> film cameras you are comparing. I still have, and use a Nikon F4
>> because it
>> is a dream to use but is a real pain to carry a bag full of lens
>> around. I
>> now use digital compacts of 6 & 7 mp and often compare the photo's
>> taken on
>> both. Even now the 35mm film camera leaves the digi standing, no
>> doubt that
>> will change as digital products improve. So what is your meaning that
>> Canon
>> cameras are second rate to Nikon, that's the biggest load of balls I
>> have
>> read in quite a time. Canon or Nikon has nothing to do with taking
>> pictures
>> it's the person using the camera that produces the result. So which
>> is best,
>> it's marketing hype that sells the cameras and printers to snappers
>> like you
>> and Davy. I will put money on, that the leaking head Davy had was most
>> likely caused by injecting cleaner directly into the heads and to much
>> pressure from the syringe caused the head to weep. You know the saying,
>> desperate measures by desperate people.
>>

> Hey Shooter, this clowns mommy bought him a Canon ip5000 (which he
> still sleeps with)

Your wife sleeps with my canon.

> and now he thinks all things Canon is the only way to go.
> He doesn't have a clue about printers or cameras or for that matter,
> life itself.
> I suggest you kill file his useless ass if you haven't already.
> Frank

Then why don't you you dumb son of a bitch.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 8:58:18 AM

Are you looking for Reverand Burtie Furtie?

Davy wrote:

>Here where's the reverand....!

June 2, 2005 3:47:35 PM

Wrong again, it's the dog.

> [...]

> >> is best,
> >> it's marketing hype that sells the cameras and printers to snappers
> >> like you
> >> and Davy. I will put money on, that the leaking head Davy had was most
> >> likely caused by injecting cleaner directly into the heads and to much
> >> pressure from the syringe caused the head to weep. You know the saying,
> >> desperate measures by desperate people.
> >>

> > Hey Shooter, this clowns mommy bought him a Canon ip5000 (which he
> > still sleeps with)
>

> Your wife sleeps with my canon.
>
> > and now he thinks all things Canon is the only way to go.
> > He doesn't have a clue about printers or cameras or for that matter,
> > life itself.
> > I suggest you kill file his useless ass if you haven't already.
> > Frank
>

> Then why don't you you dumb son of a bitch.
June 2, 2005 7:13:44 PM

Are you saying Frankie Crankie's wife sleeps with the Dog or she is a
dog :-D

Shooter wrote:

>Wrong again, it's the dog.

>>Frank wrote:

>>>Hey Shooter, this clowns mommy bought him a Canon ip5000 (which he
>>>still sleeps with)
>>>

>>Your wife sleeps with my canon.
>>

>>>and now he thinks all things Canon is the only way to go.
>>>He doesn't have a clue about printers or cameras or for that matter,
>>>life itself.
>>>I suggest you kill file his useless ass if you haven't already.
>>>Frank
>>>

>>Then why don't you you dumb son of a bitch.

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 9:11:36 PM

Ron Cohen wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Ron Cohen wrote:
>>> I haven't experienced problems with clogging on any of my Canon
>>> inkjets. Some of them have been left unused for extended periods and
>>> they print just fine. Years ago, I did have a problem with an
>>> HP720C. If it wasn't used at least every few days the print
>>> cartridges clogged pretty bad. After buying several replacement
>>> cartridges, I gave up on that one and went with a Lexmark 5700
>>> which never clogged. It just had such short cartridge life that it
>>> was not economically practical to use. Since 2000 it's been Canon
>>> all the way. No clogging and since I refill, virtually no ink costs.
>>
>> How many canon's did you replace? I'm asking because i did refill my
>> old i550 and head died after 18 months - not clogged, but inks begin
>> to mix... Now i have ip4000 and i'm hesitating about refilling
>> again...currently i bought Pelikan carts, which are half price of
>> canon's but still... in my country there's only one real ink supplier
>> (well, i could buy
>> cheeeeap ones in a supermarket, but i never did), ink seems good,
>> and also in a period of 18 months printer printed perfectly, but i'm
>> still hesitating...
>>

>>> Ron
>>>

> I haven't replaced any up to this point. I've given the s820's and
> i950 to both of my daughters. The s820's don't get the usage they
> formerly had, but they are still running ok and the i950 still does a
> lot of photos. My iP4000 does most of the work now. I still have an
> old BJC-3000 that I'm tempted to fire up again just to see if it's
> still alive. I've also got a new iP1500 that came as a freebie with a
> computer purchase a few weeks ago. If I can ever get my office
> cleaned up and a little room for another printer, I'll see what it
> can do. As to the 18 month longevity of the print head, there have
> been several threads in the past discussing the limited lifespan of
> Canon print heads. The discussions centered around the fact that it
> didn't seem to matter how much printing or what ink was used (OEM or
> 3rd party), they all seemed to fail after a certain period of time.
> Check out a thread on www.nifty-stuff.com It describes what you are
> referring to and the cause. The OP even went so far as to disassemble
> a print head and (I think) reassembled it and it worked ok.
> Ron

Thanks both...to you and Burt. I'll look into this page and see...
June 3, 2005 7:34:20 PM

I bought a brand new printer
It gleams and shines at me
It prints such lovely photos
this Epson great for me.

My digi-cam is bristling,
with happy memories.
I’ll do some prints so as to keep
and bring a smile or two

The first few prints looked so great
the next few looked aghast.
Off to the shop I ran and ran
to buy some new ink tanks

In they went with such great ease
I started to print again.
I gaped in awe and wondered why
The picture looked aghast

I did some cleaning cycles
til’ my new tanks died.
Off to the shop I ran again
for new ink tanks to buy

I tried the phone to get some help,
I’ve even tried the net.
My new and gleaming Epson
just sits and stare's at me

I tried and tried and tried again
to get the darn thing go
I wasted many Epson tanks
til all my cash ran low.

I gave the darn thing up at last
No prints from them there snaps
A load of wasted paper
and loads of empty tanks.

By Davy
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:25:34 PM

I've seen the letter from Epson you referred to, and the information you
were provided was incorrect. That's not your fault, that's Epson UK's
doing.

Sounds like some of their customer service people need additional
training and background.

Art

Davy wrote:

> [quote="Arthur Entlich"
>
> I have yet to see an Epson head damaged by air bubbles. An air lock
> can
> cause the ink not to flow until it is corrected, however, although
> rare
> since most of the time the purging process will remove the air
> bubble.
>
> Davy say's
> Sorry Arthur
> I did not say air bubble damages heads Epson said it, would you like
> me to E- mail you the letter?
>

> And whilst on subject.
> I did not say "you must never ever do a nozzle clean more than 6 times
> or heads will be damaged". Epson technical said it, but
> unfortunately you will have to take my word as this was on the
> telephone.!
>
> Davy

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:27:58 PM

I don't blame you, I think they treated you poorly, and you had a bad
run of product.

I also think the newer low end Epson printers are worse yet.

Art

Davy wrote:

> No problem with your comment's at all Arthur
> Yes conjecture is the very word, but to end I never wanted a super
> dooper singin', dancin' printer, all I wanted was a general purpose
> printer that worked
>
> and in this day and age it ought not to be an impossibliity now should
> it, simply if it is'nt going to be reliable then it should not have
> been put on the market.
>
> Yes we do live in a throw away society, shame, but we do and the
> reason is things are massed produced.
>
> Really....! all I hear is a cheap printer - low end not gonna last
> long, bottom of the range. I bought a Samsung laser printer ML1510
> about £48 uk. and its still going strong after 3 toner refills with
> the original toner tank drum, sure does beat the hell out of a C62.
>
> But to have two items break down in the same way, in the same time
> leaves a lot to be desired and once more Epson are not even
> concerend.
>
> It will be a long time before I trust that brand again.
>
> Davy.

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:32:30 PM

Having seen some of the claims Epson UK made to Davy via written
correspondence, nothing would surprise me.

Epson does suggest not continuing head cleanings beyond 6, because it's
not likely to do any good at that point. I could see how an employee
might misconstrue that as meaning over six will harm the printer head.

Art

Ivor Floppy wrote:

> "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>[quote="Arthur Entlich"
>>
>>I have yet to see an Epson head damaged by air bubbles. An air lock
>>can
>>cause the ink not to flow until it is corrected, however, although
>>rare
>>since most of the time the purging process will remove the air
>>bubble.
>>
>>Davy say's
>>Sorry Arthur
>>I did not say air bubble damages heads Epson said it, would you like
>>me to E- mail you the letter?
>>

>>And whilst on subject.
>>I did not say "you must never ever do a nozzle clean more than 6 times
>>or heads will be damaged". Epson technical said it, but
>>unfortunately you will have to take my word as this was on the
>>telephone.!
>>
>>Davy
>>

> Seems a little strange then that the printer will *allow* you to do as many
> head cleans in a row as you feel like doing....wouldn't that be classed as
> negligent on Epson's part?

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:58:03 PM

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> In all fairness, every printer mfgr and each of their models has inherent
> weaknesses and strengths. for the best information on Canon
> printers/inks/papers - go to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and also
> follow the link on that site to Neil Slade's site and read all of his
> sections. We only have one totally loose canon on this site and he will
> undoubtedly follow this post with name calling and his usual
> misinformation. Best to disregard him and not bother to respond, except to
> correct his biased, defamatory posts.

In all fairness for the "Best Information" on ANY product, go to the
manufacture.
I personally found this site just as I find this newsgroup, some useful and
accurate info, and much mis-information but newbie's and wannabe techs that
have no clue. Proceed with caution on any advice.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:45:22 AM

PC Medic wrote:

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>

>>In all fairness, every printer mfgr and each of their models has inherent
>>weaknesses and strengths. for the best information on Canon
>>printers/inks/papers - go to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and also
>>follow the link on that site to Neil Slade's site and read all of his
>>sections. We only have one totally loose canon on this site and he will
>>undoubtedly follow this post with name calling and his usual
>>misinformation. Best to disregard him and not bother to respond, except to
>>correct his biased, defamatory posts.
>>

>In all fairness for the "Best Information" on ANY product, go to the
>manufacture.
>I personally found this site just as I find this newsgroup, some useful and
>accurate info, and much mis-information but newbie's and wannabe techs that
>have no clue. Proceed with caution on any advice.

Yeh, it seems like nifty is controlled by the AfterMarket Club. These
are not independent reviews and/or comments but much mis-information by
wannabe techs and people going to divinity school.

June 4, 2005 3:41:17 AM

PC - unfortunately the manufacturer's sites don't address the issue, among
others, of preventing and/or clearing head clogs. My Epson Stylus 900, used
only with OEM inks, had to be rescued with Art Entlich's instruction manual.
His techniques worked extremely well and restored my printer to new
function. Likewise, they don't inform you about the number of cleaning
cycles to try or the fact that these printers shouldn't be left to sit idle
for extended periods of time. The two sites I mention have, as you've
suggested, a real mix of information. Some of it is extremely useful, and
some in my opinion, is just interesting as background. Over the 25 years I
have been involved with computers I have easily had as many problems solved
through responses in newsgroups as with the manufacturers' or software
vendors' tech support. As a matter of fact, I've read all of your postings
for several months and you often provide helpful information for people
that they can't get from the mfgrs. You are a positive example of just the
point I am making. Are those sites the absolutely last word? I wouldn't
presume to say that. They do have information from user experience that the
mfgrs don't provide.

"PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message

> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> In all fairness, every printer mfgr and each of their models has inherent
>> weaknesses and strengths. for the best information on Canon
>> printers/inks/papers - go to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and also
>> follow the link on that site to Neil Slade's site and read all of his
>> sections. We only have one totally loose canon on this site and he will
>> undoubtedly follow this post with name calling and his usual
>> misinformation. Best to disregard him and not bother to respond, except
>> to correct his biased, defamatory posts.
>>

> In all fairness for the "Best Information" on ANY product, go to the
> manufacture.
> I personally found this site just as I find this newsgroup, some useful
> and accurate info, and much mis-information but newbie's and wannabe techs
> that have no clue. Proceed with caution on any advice.

June 4, 2005 9:33:27 AM

> Shooterwrote:
When it became apparent that you were not to get any backing from
Epson why
> not approach the retailer you purchased from
>
> Davy say's
> I took it to their so called agent after doing test with Epson
technical UK, where the unit was exchanged., I also notified the shop
where I had bouiht it.

> When I had problems with the 2nd one, the gaurantee had just run out
on the first one - lo and behold....yep you got it...the repair centre
is no longer an Epson agent.

> So further lengthy telephone calls with Epson, well the gaurantees
run out and if you send it to so and so and that I would have to
pay....!

> So lets put a little thought here.
>
> I had a unit 6 or 8 months, it was exchanged and that unit broke
down in about the same period of time with exactly the same printing
faults, which started with a gradual increase in nozzle cleaning
requirements.

> All this with Epson ink.
>
> I am right in saying that is poor service, BUT what about the
warrenty????
> I will accept guidance here.
>
> TOTALLY DIFFERENT ITEM HERE
> We bought A Brita water filter kettle about £46 UK we had it
2year, the plastic moulding where the filter slots in had cracked
alittle, I enquired about a replacement top (this does pull out to
allow you to replace the filter).

> We'll send you a new kettle, I said but we have had it 2 years....!
The next day a new one came complete with a pre-payment label to send
the old one back -- THAT IS SERVICE

> NOT what I expect from anyone inc Epson, if an item ain't gonna
last twelve months then it should not be on the market.

> It's not really the shops problem is it - I did try though.
June 4, 2005 12:36:08 PM

I did try the first suggestion you made with Epson.

The second, well I did'nt delve into, I could if I'd wanted but
thought it was'nt worth the hassle.

There was every chance I'd end up with the same problem with another
printer, that's what put the boot in - so to speak

Thanks for your help

Davy
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:53:27 PM

> "PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> In all fairness, every printer mfgr and each of their models has
>>> inherent weaknesses and strengths. for the best information on Canon
>>> printers/inks/papers - go to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and also
>>> follow the link on that site to Neil Slade's site and read all of his
>>> sections. We only have one totally loose canon on this site and he will
>>> undoubtedly follow this post with name calling and his usual
>>> misinformation. Best to disregard him and not bother to respond, except
>>> to correct his biased, defamatory posts.
>>>

>> In all fairness for the "Best Information" on ANY product, go to the
>> manufacture.
>> I personally found this site just as I find this newsgroup, some useful
>> and accurate info, and much mis-information but newbie's and wannabe
>> techs that have no clue. Proceed with caution on any advice.
>>

> PC - unfortunately the manufacturer's sites don't address the issue, among
> others, of preventing and/or clearing head clogs.

Perhaps 'your' manufactures site does not, but mine (and many others) does.
See "Step-by-Step Troubleshooting" here for example...
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=Support...

> My Epson Stylus 900, used only with OEM inks, had to be rescued with Art
> Entlich's instruction manual. His techniques worked extremely well and
> restored my printer to new function.

I have not read his entire 'Instruction Manual' , and while I have seen some
good advice, I have seen some bad.
The forums located there appear to be as loaded with 'wannabe' technical
advice as most newsgroups with advice that can often lead to more problems
than solutions.

> Likewise, they don't inform you about the number of cleaning cycles to try
> or the fact that these printers shouldn't be left to sit idle for extended
> periods of time.

See my first response above. Also keep in mind that "I haven't printed in
two weeks and..." is not considered an "extended period of time. I see this
often in the groups and see recommendations from others about running
excessive head cleanings or soaking printheads in corrosive solutions, of
which both can cause more harm than good. Does it 'sometimes' work, perhaps,
but that does not make it good advice any more than a bad printer (computer,
t.v., toaster) or whatever makes the manufacture a peddler of junque! To
make matters worse is how often I hear this advice given without the
question "are you still under warranty?".

> The two sites I mention have, as you've
> suggested, a real mix of information. Some of it is extremely useful, and
> some in my opinion, is just interesting as background. Over the 25 years
> I have been involved with computers I have easily had as many problems
> solved through responses in newsgroups as with the manufacturers' or
> software vendors' tech support. As a matter of fact, I've read all of
> your postings for several months and you often provide helpful
> information for people that they can't get from the mfgrs. You are a
> positive example of just the point I am making. Are those sites the
> absolutely last word? I wouldn't presume to say that. They do have
> information from user experience that the mfgrs don't provide.

Agreed and again why I suggest, take what you read there (and here) with a
grain of salt.
June 4, 2005 2:40:45 PM

Well as I see it you have two choices go back to the Epson service centre
and suggest that because this is the second time this has happened they
should do something about it, or perhaps you have already done that.

The next is to quote the six year rule this is written into UK consumer law,
so if you search for consumer law you will come across it then read if that
applies to you, if so go back to the people who exchanged the first time and
put it to them. The law suggests that an item should be free from defect
for up to six years depending on the cost of the item, and wear and use,
that may be a sticking point, but worth the research. But don't forget your
contract is with the retailer and not Epson.

!