shinji3c

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Hello all
Conroe is out so it's time to build my new system. I've passed on AMD a month or 2 ago after the core 2 duo news so I waited and waited for 2 months with this stupid Dell trash.

I however need your advice on a mobo and a video card
So far, these items are in my cart in either new egg or tigerdirect

Conroe e6700 with fan(tigerdirect)
Crucial 2 x 1 gig ram
Seagate HD
Antec Case
Sound Card

I can't decide which graphic card to get. I'm thinking 1900xt or 7900 gt. I heard that neither company is clear winner so I'm leaning towards 1900 but if the actual owners have problems with it, please let me know.

As for MoBo, I passed on Intel 975xbx that comes in combo with e6700 on tigerdirect.com after doing some research and although it's a stable board, it's a little inferior to Asus mobos. So I think I'll go with ASUS but which is good and also compatable? I heard p5w DH is good board but has some heat issue??

Well the post got longer than intended. Sorry about that

Thanks!

wingsofzion

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
No idea what your budget is but here are my recommendations besides your CPU which you have already chosen:

Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe or Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Memory: Corsair 2GB DDR2-800 Ram

Video Card: EVGA 7900GT Card

HDD: Western Digital 320GB Caviar Drive

Case: Thermaltake Armor Series Steel/Alluminum Case

The cost of each of these i've listed aren't that higher than what you were looking, maybe a $20 to $50 dollar difference, nothing super high. But these are the best i've found and built with so far and have worked out flawlessly. I'd highly suggest you get a bigger drive. With the size of today's programs, files, and games, 160GB can go like a blink of an eye. If you get any of my suggestions, let that be at least one of them. It's only about $40 bucks more for close to double the space of what your presently looking to get.

The Armor case is also good, very nice air flow. They make a 2nd version of this case which has an attached 25m fan on the side screen panel for added exhaust airflow out of the case.

The EVGA 7900GT is a great card. The 1900XT is a good card but it cannot compete with the 7900GT. EVGA provides a lifetime warranty on this particular card and that's one hell of a good deal.

Your sound card is good so i'd stick with that. Hope these suggestions narrow the field a bit more.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Trash that WD and get yourself a barracuda with perpendicular recording.
(the 7200.9 don't have perpendicular and are slower then the 7200.10)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

The mobos look good, another brand you might want to take a look at is Gigabyte. DQ6 or DS3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128323
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

I used to be a fan of corsair but frankly their memory is overpriced.

You can get 4 4 4 12 timings without a mail in rebate for the same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231073

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hello all
Conroe is out so it's time to build my new system. I've passed on AMD a month or 2 ago after the core 2 duo news so I waited and waited for 2 months with this stupid Dell trash.

Conroe e6700 with fan(tigerdirect)

Thanks!

WARNING Tiger Direct is hell. There are several people on the fourm that ordered Core2 CPUs from Tiger, only to see their orders cancelled. I would strongly advise never doing business with Tiger Direct.

shinji3c

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Oh crap!
Is this for real?
Hope I don't lose any money now
Thanks for everyone for replying tho.
Yeah I thought about getting e6600 as well but I don't know, i'm skeptical and want to get the best I can get with my budget. I'll spend it on something else anyways and I don't really know how to overclock. Actually never done it lol
I think i'll get the 7900 gt after doing some reseach, 7900 gt looks better.
I took many of the advices here and change almost everything in my order.
Thanks again!