Sign in with
Your question

What's wrong with my new build?

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2006 10:35:39 PM

Hello everyone, new to the forums. I recently put together my new rig and have some problems, hope someone can offer me some explanations...

Before I start in on what's happening with my new build here's the specs

MOBO: ASUS AXN SLI PREMIUM
CPU: AMD Athalon 64 4000+
RAM: 2x 1GB Corsair PC3200 DDR
PS: ENERMAX Noisetaker 2 EG701AX
HD:Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA
Wester Digital WD800 IDE
Video: EVGA 256 GeForce 7900GT KO (NEW RELEASE)

Ok getting that out of the way. I got all my parts in last night went home with a smile on my face happy to finally have a new puter. Started in on the build, got everything hooked up. Went to power on....everything would start up but no beep from the POST. Not sure what was wrong, so I just re-did the wiring (PS and the such) tried again, this time there was a beep from the POST but it got hung up halfway through startup with the error: "CMOS CHECK SUM ERROR" got into BIOS looked around everything seemed ok, saved and exited it restarted but again no beep from the POST.

Frustrated and not wanting to mess anything up I gave up and went to bed. This morning, I figured I'd try it again. Booted her up and she started POST and everything. I went into BIOS to set some things up, saved and exited, to my suprise windows began to start! However my excitement was short lived as after the loading screen, I got a quick blue screen with text (too quick to read) and it restarted. It then let me boot up in safe mode, it then went to the user selection (i.e.. admin or user) however now my USB ports were not working and being as how my KB and Mouse are both USB driven I couldnt' do anything.

So that leaves me here now, I'm sitting at work trying to figure out what could possibly be wrong.

ANY HELP PLEASE?

More about : wrong build

July 29, 2006 11:23:52 PM

Check for your RAM and video card. eVGA has has lots of problems with their factory overclocked 7900GTs. You can test your RAM by downloading MemTest from www.memtest86.com
July 30, 2006 12:27:26 AM

Have you tried benching it? Remove everything you don't need to boot and if you have one use a pci vid card and ps2 KB. With just one stick of ram, psu,cpu and vid card see if it still happens. I've had check sum errors before and sometimes just resetting the cmos works but others you need to rewrite the bios. It also could be bad wiring in the usb ports.
You can still take it bake right.
Related resources
July 30, 2006 12:58:13 AM

Quote:
I got all my parts in last night went home with a smile on my face happy to finally have a new puter.

Maybe if you respectfully called it a "computer" it would be nice enough to respond. :twisted:

In all seriousness unsmart seems to be on target.
July 30, 2006 1:16:07 AM

Duck> Ram is fine I've run mem test on both sticks, Video card is fine as I can see the windows login screen. Also I recieved the new board with the mem fix and whatever else they did to it.

Unsmart> I just got done doing just this. At present moment only the CPU/fan/heatsink, IDE harddrive, 1 stick of RAM and the video card.

I can now get it to post every time and it will start the boot process. It then gets to the screen where I choose wether to start it in safe mode or not.

Start in safe mode> boots up just fine and gets to the "To begin, click your user name" and hangs.

Boot normally> Gets just passed the windows load screen then blue screen (of death maybe?) very very quickly then it restarts.
July 30, 2006 1:52:45 AM

Quote:
Duck> Ram is fine I've run mem test on both sticks, Video card is fine as I can see the windows login screen. Also I recieved the new board with the mem fix and whatever else they did to it.

Unsmart> I just got done doing just this. At present moment only the CPU/fan/heatsink, IDE harddrive, 1 stick of RAM and the video card.

I can now get it to post every time and it will start the boot process. It then gets to the screen where I choose wether to start it in safe mode or not.

Start in safe mode> boots up just fine and gets to the "To begin, click your user name" and hangs.

Boot normally> Gets just passed the windows load screen then blue screen (of death maybe?) very very quickly then it restarts.

Just because you get video does not mean the video card is fine. Try running Prime95 on it testing everything and see if you get any errors.

Did you reinstall Windows or port it over from an old build?
July 30, 2006 1:54:58 AM

Have you reinstalled Windows or are you using a previous installation? That would explain your BSOD and not booting into windows.
July 30, 2006 1:57:13 AM

Agreed!! Infact, exactly what I was JUST about to say!!
July 30, 2006 2:32:51 AM

sparky is right, you are actually very lucky that it gets into Windows at all (safe mode or otherwise).

The source of your problem is almost certainly caused by a driver that was in use with the old motherboard but now causes all kinds of grief to the new one (it is a different motherboard after all!)

To know why your computer is BSODing on you, do this,

If the screen that gives you the option to start in safe mode also gives you an option to "start without automatic restart" (or something that states that it won't automatically restart) then select that option instead of plain safe mode.

From your messages, I am not sure anymore if you can or cannot get into Windows in Safe Mode. If you can, and there was no option to "disable automatic restart" then follow these steps,

1. Get into Windows (any mode, safe, unsafe, whatever!)
2. Start Control Panel.

Select System->Advanced->"Startup and recovery/System Startup, System Failure and debugging information->Setings" look for "Automatich Restart" and make sure it is UNCHECKED. Ok your way out of all the new windows you got from control panel and attempt to reboot your computer into normal mode. You will get a blue screen but this time it will stay put, you'll be able to read why it BSODed.

Try that, let us know what the message is.

The most likely reason is that the generic IDE driver used during safe mode is "close enough" to what the controller on your motherboard needs, whereas, the IDE driver for the old board's controller causes all kinds of problems with the IDE controller on the new board. This is a well known problem, not too mention old (NT, Win2K had the same problem).

Hope that helps.
July 30, 2006 3:43:43 AM

Haha thanks everyone. I posted this on a few other forums I frequent, and also the ASUS website and apparently everyone came up with the same thing at the same time.

I never realized that using your old HD would prove troublesome....I feel pretty dumb.

Thanks everyone.

oh and no I can't get into windows through safemode. Unfortunantly my buddy has my cd case which includes windows so I'm going to get it from him tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone.
July 30, 2006 10:11:32 PM

Well my hopes were just shot down. Got my CD case back and tried to boot from the Windows CD, it loads all of the drivers and then says "Starting Windows" after which time the blue screen comes up .....

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" ect ect......

It happens with both my old harddrive and my new sata harddrive.

any ideas?
July 30, 2006 10:30:45 PM

Quote:
I dont understand. Did you format the drive and attempt a fresh windows install?

No , the first drive the old IDE drive that has my old stuff on it did it,

also the new SATA drive that has nothing on it , hasn't been formatted, does the same thing. It's been so long since I've formatted a new drive, I thought it was part of the installation process?

In other words I dont' get to the point where it tells me what percent installation is finished.
July 31, 2006 12:23:07 AM

Quote:
I dont understand. Did you format the drive and attempt a fresh windows install?

No , the first drive the old IDE drive that has my old stuff on it did it,

also the new SATA drive that has nothing on it , hasn't been formatted, does the same thing. It's been so long since I've formatted a new drive, I thought it was part of the installation process?

In other words I dont' get to the point where it tells me what percent installation is finished.

It does, but you might need to load drivers for the SATA driver to work.
July 31, 2006 12:36:51 AM

Yeah I just did that with the Seagate bootdisk. Now when it gets to the starting windows I get the

"STOP ERROR C0000221 Unknown Hard Error \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll"

Still tinkering around trying to figure out what's going on.
July 31, 2006 1:08:55 AM

Alright I'm going a different angle now I get to the point in the windows load where it tells you to "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver..."

Now I'm at the blue screen that says "Please insert the disk labeled Manufacturer-Supplied hardware support disk into Drive A:"

I'm trying to figure out what disk I need or more specifically what files need to be on that disk.
July 31, 2006 1:23:44 AM

you need access to another pc, put ur asus disk cd in that and navigate to the raid directory on the disk, find the driver files and plonk them on a floppy disk, thats the disk u need to put in, i have to do this every time i format as i tend to lose the diskette all the damn time!!
July 31, 2006 2:47:02 AM

Quote:
you need access to another pc, put ur asus disk cd in that and navigate to the raid directory on the disk, find the driver files and plonk them on a floppy disk, thats the disk u need to put in, i have to do this every time i format as i tend to lose the diskette all the damn time!!

Somehow I must have done just that. By some stroke of dumb luck, act of God or by my own sheer genious I've gotten XP installed. No idea how but it's there!

Weee finally!!!!

Now we'll see if I can't figure out how to get my IDE drive recognized.

Thanks again everyone.
!