Multifunction Printer Recommendation?

Bruce

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

After 1.5 years of pretty good service, my Epson CX5200 may have gone out
on me. Clogged printheads?

<Xns9665C70ECB04parcxmannetscapenet@216.196.97.136>

If it is a gonner, can anyone recommend a mid-priced multifunction printer?
I need photo printing, separate tanks (4 tanks is fine), scanning, and
copying.

Thanks,

bruce

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I've been using the Canon MP780 for 3-4 months. It has proved to be a
very well designed unit. The document feeders works extremely well. It
also has four ink tanks. I use compatible cartridges which makes
printing extremely economical and it also prints great photos. So far,
I can't say one bad thing about it.

Bruce wrote:
> After 1.5 years of pretty good service, my Epson CX5200 may have gone out
> on me. Clogged printheads?
>
> <Xns9665C70ECB04parcxmannetscapenet@216.196.97.136>
>
> If it is a gonner, can anyone recommend a mid-priced multifunction printer?
> I need photo printing, separate tanks (4 tanks is fine), scanning, and
> copying.
>
> Thanks,
>
> bruce

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Buy a Canon IP4000 and an Epson 4180 or 2480 Scanner. You have the best
of breed on both.

Bruce wrote:

> After 1.5 years of pretty good service, my Epson CX5200 may have gone out
> on me. Clogged printheads?
>
> <Xns9665C70ECB04parcxmannetscapenet@216.196.97.136>
>
> If it is a gonner, can anyone recommend a mid-priced multifunction printer?
> I need photo printing, separate tanks (4 tanks is fine), scanning, and
> copying.
>
> Thanks,
>
> bruce

I've only just gone through all this - the Brother I had didn't like
printing photos, even though it's supposed to do a good job of it.

Fortunately, I am returning and getting a full credit for it.

I did quite a bit of research on this one, and have decided on the new
Epson RX620.

I can't comment on it until Tuesday, but it seems to be a good machine.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

Marvin

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Bruce wrote:
> After 1.5 years of pretty good service, my Epson CX5200 may have gone out
> on me. Clogged printheads?
>
> <Xns9665C70ECB04parcxmannetscapenet@216.196.97.136>
>
> If it is a gonner, can anyone recommend a mid-priced multifunction printer?
> I need photo printing, separate tanks (4 tanks is fine), scanning, and
> copying.
>
> Thanks,
>
> bruce
If you switch to an HP printer, you will probably never have a clogged head again. There
is a variety of options at various prices. I just replaced an older HP printer with one I
got for $89.99 at Costco, with a fax and sheet scanner. The photo prints are excellent,
but it does not have separate color ink tanks.

measekite wrote:
> Buy a Canon IP4000 and an Epson 4180 or 2480 Scanner. You have the best
> of breed on both.

What if he wants the convenience of a document feeder?

"Michael Johnson, PE" <nospam@ourhouse.com> wrote in

> I've been using the Canon MP780 for 3-4 months. It has proved to be a
> very well designed unit. The document feeders works extremely well.
> It also has four ink tanks. I use compatible cartridges which makes
> printing extremely economical and it also prints great photos. So
> far, I can't say one bad thing about it.
>
> Bruce wrote:
>> After 1.5 years of pretty good service, my Epson CX5200 may have gone
>> out on me. Clogged printheads?
>>
>> <Xns9665C70ECB04parcxmannetscapenet@216.196.97.136>
>>
>> If it is a gonner, can anyone recommend a mid-priced multifunction
>> printer? I need photo printing, separate tanks (4 tanks is fine),
>> scanning, and copying.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> bruce

Do you know if the iP4000, which I like, is the same as the MP760, but
without the scanner and card readers? Do both use 5 tanks (black and
picture black)?

Odie Ferrous wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>

>>After 1.5 years of pretty good service, my Epson CX5200 may have gone out
>>on me. Clogged printheads?

That is lousey service. Have you always used OEM ink?

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Odie Ferrous wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:
>>

>>>After 1.5 years of pretty good service, my Epson CX5200 may have gone
>>>out on me. Clogged printheads?
>>>

> That is lousey service. Have you always used OEM ink?
>
>>><Xns9665C70ECB04parcxmannetscapenet@216.196.97.136>
>>>
>>>If it is a gonner, can anyone recommend a mid-priced multifunction
>>>printer? I need photo printing, separate tanks (4 tanks is fine),
>>>scanning, and copying.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>bruce
>>>

>>I've only just gone through all this - the Brother I had didn't like
>>printing photos, even though it's supposed to do a good job of it.
>>
>>Fortunately, I am returning and getting a full credit for it.
>>
>>I did quite a bit of research on this one, and have decided on the new
>>Epson RX620.
>>
>>I can't comment on it until Tuesday, but it seems to be a good
>>machine.
>>

>>Odie

Yep. Always used OEM ink. As a matter of fact, I have a new black
cartridge and a new cyan cartridge still in the box. Damn.

I just removed the printhead and tried to clean the orifices with alcohol
and very fine brass wire. I reassambled, but no joy.

I think it's time for the junkyard.

Bruce <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in

> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>> Odie Ferrous wrote:

>> That is lousey service. Have you always used OEM ink?

>>>I've only just gone through all this - the Brother I had didn't like
>>>printing photos, even though it's supposed to do a good job of it.
>>>
>>>Fortunately, I am returning and getting a full credit for it.
>>>
>>>I did quite a bit of research on this one, and have decided on the
>>>new Epson RX620.
>>>
>>>I can't comment on it until Tuesday, but it seems to be a good
>>>machine.
>>>

>>>Odie
>>>

> Yep. Always used OEM ink. As a matter of fact, I have a new black
> cartridge and a new cyan cartridge still in the box. Damn.
>
> I just removed the printhead and tried to clean the orifices with
> alcohol and very fine brass wire. I reassambled, but no joy.
>
> I think it's time for the junkyard.

Forgot to mention, my in-laws bought the same CX5200, at the same time I
did, and got about 6 mos. of service. Because it was still under the 1
year warrantly, Epson shipped them, free of charge, a replacement CX6400.
I'd like to give them my CX5200 carts, but they aren't compatible with
their CX6400. Hope their CX6400 lasts longer than my CX5200.

Bruce wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" <nospam@ourhouse.com> wrote in
>

>>I've been using the Canon MP780 for 3-4 months. It has proved to be a
>>very well designed unit. The document feeders works extremely well.
>>It also has four ink tanks. I use compatible cartridges which makes
>>printing extremely economical and it also prints great photos. So
>>far, I can't say one bad thing about it.
>>
>>Bruce wrote:
>>
>>>After 1.5 years of pretty good service, my Epson CX5200 may have gone
>>>out on me. Clogged printheads?
>>>
>>><Xns9665C70ECB04parcxmannetscapenet@216.196.97.136>
>>>
>>>If it is a gonner, can anyone recommend a mid-priced multifunction
>>>printer? I need photo printing, separate tanks (4 tanks is fine),
>>>scanning, and copying.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>bruce
>

> Do you know if the iP4000, which I like, is the same as the MP760, but
> without the scanner and card readers? Do both use 5 tanks (black and
> picture black)?

I believe the printing capabilities of the MP760/780 are identical to
the iP4000. I think they use the same print head and I know they use
the same ink tanks.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Try a Canon IP4000. OEM and Canon Photo Paper PRo or Costco/Kirkland
Glossy Photo Paper work great. Costco is 1/7 the price and 98% as good.

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> Buy a Canon IP4000 and an Epson 4180 or 2480 Scanner. You have the
>> best of breed on both.
>

> What if he wants the convenience of a document feeder?

While expensive, the document feeder for the Epson 4180 is $150.00. Or
he can compromise.

measekite wrote:

> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:
>>
>>> Buy a Canon IP4000 and an Epson 4180 or 2480 Scanner. You have the
>>> best of breed on both.
>>

>> What if he wants the convenience of a document feeder?
>

> While expensive, the document feeder for the Epson 4180 is $150.00. Or
> he can compromise.

A quick search shows an average price for the 4180 to be approximately
$200. Add the feeder and the price balloons to $350 for just the
scanner. Add another $120 for the iP4000 and the total cost of your
recommendation is $470 (plus another $20-$30 for a cheap modem for
faxing) verses $260 for an MP780. For the $500 spent on your suggestion
he could have the MP780 and the Epson 4180 with change to spare.

As we discussed in another thread, the convenience of today's
multi-function printers is the real reason for their existence.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

FWIW, the mp760 is on sale now at amazon for 186.99 shipped. (This
price probably won't last though, as the next best is 241 shipped at
Newegg.) http://snipurl.com/f8z7

Pretty good review here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/canon_mp760.html

Also a PC mag 'editor's choice.'

There seem to be a lot of good reasons to recommend this model --
quality, speed, lower operating costs, ect -- but at this price I had
to pull the trigger because of the built-in negative scanning. No, it
likely won't have the quality of standalone, but it should help in
putting together the couple of web page photo albums I've been meaning
to do for some time.

I was getting ready to buy either an ip4000 or 5000, but now it'll be
sort of like getting the universally lauded ip4000 along with a
traditional scanner/copier, a 2.5" lcd preview, usb2 card slots, and a
negative/slide scanner thrown in for just another 67 bucks.

Yeah, it seems like to much too ask for to have the negative scanning
results from an all-in-one impress me, but given my sights aren't set
too high in this area to begin with, it'll be a real bonus if film
scans turn out to be quite good.

If anyone's interested, I'll post a mini-review here at the end of the
week.

Michael

Bruce wrote:

>"Michael Johnson, PE" <nospam@ourhouse.com> wrote in
>

>>I've been using the Canon MP780 for 3-4 months. It has proved to be a
>>very well designed unit. The document feeders works extremely well.
>>It also has four ink tanks. I use compatible cartridges which makes
>>printing extremely economical and it also prints great photos. So
>>far, I can't say one bad thing about it.
>>
>>Bruce wrote:
>>

>>>After 1.5 years of pretty good service, my Epson CX5200 may have gone
>>>out on me. Clogged printheads?
>>>
>>><Xns9665C70ECB04parcxmannetscapenet@216.196.97.136>
>>>
>>>If it is a gonner, can anyone recommend a mid-priced multifunction
>>>printer? I need photo printing, separate tanks (4 tanks is fine),
>>>scanning, and copying.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>bruce
>>>

>Do you know if the iP4000, which I like, is the same as the MP760, but
>without the scanner and card readers? Do both use 5 tanks (black and
>picture blACK

The IP4000 does use those 5 carts. The best deal on a scanner is the
Epson 4180

BURT

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Measekite misses the point completely. While he (and I, although I find it
difficult to imagine anything about which we would agree) prefer to buy each
piece of equipment for its own attributes, he fails to listen to the
question the original poster poses. He is so convinced of his own perfect
judgement that he invariably suggests the equipment he owns as suitable for
everyone elses needs. Chosing a MF unit can be based on lack of deskspace,
expense, or a variety of other issues, one of which may be personal bias,
something that Measekite is full of. Now you can bet that he will respond
to this post by telling me what I am full of! His usual response to logic
he can't refute.

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

>>> What if he wants the convenience of a document feeder?
>>

>> While expensive, the document feeder for the Epson 4180 is $150.00.
>> Or he can compromise.
>

> A quick search shows an average price for the 4180 to be approximately
> $200.

I paid $125 after sale and rebate. You are quoting list and nobody pays
that.

> Add the feeder and the price balloons to $350 for just the scanner.

$275.00

> Add another $120 for the iP4000 and the total cost of your
> recommendation is $470

$375 (sales and rebates)

> (plus another $20-$30 for a cheap modem for faxing)

Software is built into windows but does not get installed normally. You
need to go into the files and install it manually.

measekite wrote:

> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:

>>> While expensive, the document feeder for the Epson 4180 is $150.00.
>>> Or he can compromise.
>>

>> A quick search shows an average price for the 4180 to be approximately
>> $200.
>

> I paid $125 after sale and rebate. You are quoting list and nobody pays
> that.

The price I listed was based on a quick scan of priced on the PC
Magazine web site. Obviously, many people do pay that price. Even
assuming your price on the 4180 is legitimate the total cost of your
suggestion is $430 (don't forget the modem). I can buy an MP780 and a
4180 (@ $125) for $385 and still have money in my pocket. I don't see
your point. Quoting a low price for the 4180 works against you about as
much as it supports your position.

>> Add the feeder and the price balloons to $350 for just the scanner.
>

> $275.00

This is more than the total cost of the MP780 and you still can't print
anything.

>> Add another $120 for the iP4000 and the total cost of your
>> recommendation is $470
>

> $375 (sales and rebates)

Add the cost of a modem and I can still buy an MP780 and a 4180 with
change to spare.

>> (plus another $20-$30 for a cheap modem for faxing)
>

> Software is built into windows but does not get installed normally. You
> need to go into the files and install it manually.

You still need to buy a modem to fax anything. The software cost is
irrelevant to this discussion.

>> verses $260 for an MP780. For the $500 spent on your suggestion he
>> could have the MP780 and the Epson 4180 with change to spare.
>>
>> As we discussed in another thread, the convenience of today's
>> multi-function printers is the real reason for their existence.

BURT

> Burt wrote:
>
>>Measekite misses the point completely. While he (and I, although I find
>>it difficult to imagine anything about which we would agree) prefer to buy
>>each piece of equipment for its own attributes, he fails to listen to the
>>question the original poster poses. He is so convinced of his own perfect
>>judgement that he invariably suggests the equipment he owns as suitable
>>for everyone elses needs. Chosing a MF unit can be based on lack of
>>deskspace, expense, or a variety of other issues, one of which may be
>>personal bias, something that Measekite is full of.
>
> The real justification is space.

Again he proves my point - that he mistakes his personal bias for
irrefutable fact. There are as many justifications as there are people who
chose one of these unit. Measekite - your "real" justification is not the
only one. And---as predicted he responded. He loves to follow several of
us around this NG trying to create doubt about our advice.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The MP760/750 wasn't out when I picked up the 780. The 760 looks to
have some really good features for the price if a document feeder isn't
a requirement. Also, the 750 looks like a good bargain too.

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

>>> A quick search shows an average price for the 4180 to be
>>> approximately $200.
>>

>> I paid $125 after sale and rebate. You are quoting list and nobody
>> pays that.
>

> The price I listed was based on a quick scan of priced on the PC
> Magazine web site. Obviously, many people do pay that price. Even
> assuming your price on the 4180 is legitimate the total cost of your
> suggestion is $430 (don't forget the modem).

Modems are obsolete. Most computers have them anyway. You need broadband.

measekite wrote:

> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:

>>> I paid $125 after sale and rebate. You are quoting list and nobody
>>> pays that.
>>

>> The price I listed was based on a quick scan of priced on the PC
>> Magazine web site. Obviously, many people do pay that price. Even
>> assuming your price on the 4180 is legitimate the total cost of your
>> suggestion is $430 (don't forget the modem).
>

> Modems are obsolete. Most computers have them anyway. You need broadband.

They're not obsolete if you need to send a fax. Many computers don't
have them because of the availability of broadband. I don't have a
modem in any of the four computers in my home office. BTW, I don't need
broadband because I already have it. ;)

Even if I take out the cost of the modem you're suggestion is still more
expensive than purchasing an MP780 and 4180.

>> I can buy an MP780 and a 4180 (@ $125) for $385 and still have money
>> in my pocket. I don't see your point. Quoting a low price for the
>> 4180 works against you about as much as it supports your position.

>>> $275.00
>>

>> This is more than the total cost of the MP780 and you still can't
>> print anything.

>>> $375 (sales and rebates)
>>

>> Add the cost of a modem and I can still buy an MP780 and a 4180 with
>> change to spare.

>>> Software is built into windows but does not get installed normally.
>>> You need to go into the files and install it manually.
>>

>> You still need to buy a modem to fax anything. The software cost is
>> irrelevant to this discussion.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> measekite wrote:
>

>> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

>>> The price I listed was based on a quick scan of priced on the PC
>>> Magazine web site. Obviously, many people do pay that price. Even
>>> assuming your price on the 4180 is legitimate the total cost of your
>>> suggestion is $430 (don't forget the modem).
>>

>> Modems are obsolete. Most computers have them anyway. You need
>> broadband.
>

> They're not obsolete if you need to send a fax. Many computers don't
> have them because of the availability of broadband. I don't have a
> modem in any of the four computers in my home office. BTW, I don't need
> broadband because I already have it. ;)
>
> Even if I take out the cost of the modem you're suggestion is still more
> expensive than purchasing an MP780 and 4180.
>
>>> I can buy an MP780 and a 4180 (@ $125) for $385 and still have
>>> money in my pocket. I don't see your point. Quoting a low price for
>>> the 4180 works against you about as much as it supports your position.

>>> This is more than the total cost of the MP780 and you still can't
>>> print anything.

>>> Add the cost of a modem and I can still buy an MP780 and a 4180 with
>>> change to spare.

>>> You still need to buy a modem to fax anything. The software cost is
>>> irrelevant to this discussion.

This guys and idiot. His mother bought him a canon ip4000 and he thinks
he's a printer expert. Oh...and he is also a wannabe script-kiddie and
thinks he knows c++.
Kill file his stupid ass as he's a know nothing moron.
Frank

Burt wrote:

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>Measekite misses the point completely. While he (and I, although I find
>>>it difficult to imagine anything about which we would agree) prefer to buy
>>>each piece of equipment for its own attributes, he fails to listen to the
>>>question the original poster poses. He is so convinced of his own perfect
>>>judgement that he invariably suggests the equipment he owns as suitable
>>>for everyone elses needs. Chosing a MF unit can be based on lack of
>>>deskspace, expense, or a variety of other issues, one of which may be
>>>personal bias, something that Measekite is full of.
>>>

>>The real justification is space.
>>

>Again he proves my point - that he mistakes his personal bias for
>irrefutable fact. There are as many justifications as there are people who
>chose one of these unit. Measekite - your "real" justification is not the
>only one. And---as predicted he responded. He loves to follow several of
>us around this NG trying to create doubt about our

bullshit