Last response: in Graphics & Displays

which one is the best??

Total: 46 votes

• X1900XT
  • 64 %
  • 7900gtx
  • 37 %
July 30, 2006 2:23:50 AM

Well these graphic cards has been released.well after watching the head to head race nvidia released it's 7900GT,but still could'nt compete with the ati's x1900xt and then nvidia released it's 7950GTX and then the 7900GX2.They support the 1 gb of DDR3.and the performance might be overwhelming when it would be runnning in SLI mode

Take a look here
http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/textra.asp?pn=PVT71UZDD9...

Well which one is the beast of all cards.
July 30, 2006 2:31:25 AM

First, memory means little for video cards.

The 7950GX2, has two GPUs, so it's like 7900GTs in SLI on one PCI-E board.

With that said, at higher resolutions, the 7950GX2 performs better. At 1024x768, and 1280x1024, the 7950GX2 is better, but not much.
July 30, 2006 2:35:31 AM

Well 7950GX2 is better than x1900xt?????
Related resources
July 30, 2006 2:41:10 AM

I said it is, didn't I?
July 30, 2006 2:50:34 AM

Ati is now gonna going to give a good answer to nvidia.When 7800GT was there,it was wrecked by Ati's x1900XT which mostly shutted every graphic card being the Prime :) 
July 30, 2006 3:07:54 AM

Quote:
The 7950GX2, has two GPUs, so it's like 7900GTs in SLI on one PCI-E board.
7900GTs with a higher stock clockspeed and 512MB of RAM.
Quote:
Ati is now gonna going to give a good answer to nvidia.When 7800GT was there,it was wrecked by Ati's x1900XT which mostly shutted every graphic card being the Prime :) 

Actually the X1900XT competed with the 7800GTX while the X1900XTX competed with the 7800GTX 512MB. :roll:
July 30, 2006 3:13:45 AM

That would be the X1950XT
July 30, 2006 3:29:51 AM

Quote:
Well these graphic cards has been released.well after watching the head to head race nvidia released it's 7900GT,but still could'nt compete with the ati's x1900xt and then nvidia released it's 7950GTX and then the 7900GX2.They support the 1 gb of DDR3.and the performance might be overwhelming when it would be runnning in SLI mode

Take a look here
http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/textra.asp?pn=PVT71UZDD9...

Well which one is the beast of all cards.

7950GX2 is...........but what's up with the poll it's not what it say on your subjet. Clearly you're confused.
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2006 4:32:59 AM

Well, yes the poll is messed up, and well yes he is confused, and well yes the 7950 is the bigger beast and well, why not the XTX instead of the XT, and well, do we have to do this again when X1950XTX comes out, and well, yeah I'm downright tired, well G'night all.
July 30, 2006 4:42:53 AM

Quote:
and well, yeah I'm downright tired, well G'night all.

Stay awake Paul, and I'll spoon you right here on the forums 8)
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 30, 2006 5:16:11 AM

Quote:
yet another stupid post by a moron

Announcing your posts now are you? :roll:
July 30, 2006 1:41:36 PM

:lol:  :lol: 
July 30, 2006 1:56:56 PM

Quote:
:) 

I like your older motto, Gomer, please post it back.
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2006 3:55:30 PM

8O Yuck, glad I went to bed.
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2006 3:57:05 PM

lol, ya forced an edit.
July 30, 2006 6:40:14 PM

As per i know Ati's x1950 which is gonna going to be an answer to nvidia coz it boasts with 2gb of DDR4.

In September ATI will launch its RV570 parts, which will have quite an impact on there current lineup, perhaps for the better - if they can limit the confusion.
Take a look here
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32807

Helfire 1 will replace the current X1900 GT, and the Hellfire 2 card will replace the X1900 XT. RV570 should feature a 256-bit memory bus and it will feature the Crossfire bridge chip inside the core, so no need for mastercards.

I think ATI would'nt give time to nvidia to think up in order prepare up a new graphic card.IN THIS head to head race ASUS is also coming with it's Physx Gpu which is becoming famous for it's ultra best performance in GRAW(ghost recon advanced warfighter)
July 30, 2006 7:18:20 PM

Quote:
As per i know Ati's x1950 which is gonna going to be an answer to nvidia coz it boasts with 2gb of DDR4.
It doesn't have 2GB; it's still only a 512MB card. Even with the faster memory, the 7950GX2 will probably still outperform the X1950XTX; it'll still be a great card for the price ATI is advertising.
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2006 7:26:06 PM

I hope he meant GDDR4 @ 2.0GHz, not 2gb of ddr4
July 30, 2006 8:25:49 PM

I would buy that. :p 
July 31, 2006 5:51:28 AM

well another hole in pocket for x1950xt :D 
August 3, 2006 2:58:22 AM

Cool...the good ol' ATI vs. NVIDIA debate. I love it, but everyone knows that NVIDIA has the edge in tech and market at the moment.
...BUT...
Just wait 'til the AMD+ATI merger is final (sooner than you think).
:twisted: ...Everything's gonna change... :twisted:
August 6, 2006 3:52:11 PM

well i would have said that to vote between nvidia's geforce 7950GX2 and atix1900xt then what would have been the opinions :D  .Completely it dig up the heads of many people WHICH TO BUY???
August 6, 2006 4:44:50 PM

Quote:
, but everyone knows that NVIDIA has the edge in tech and market at the moment.

O Rly? Care to explain?

Quote:
well i would have said that to vote between nvidia's geforce 7950GX2 and atix1900xt then what would have been the opinions :D  .Completely it dig up the heads of many people WHICH TO BUY???

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: *just kill me*
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 6, 2006 5:43:37 PM

The GX2 vs XT is a harder argument (even if it were XTX instead).

The GX2 is pretty much acclaimed as the performance leader in single slot gaming (2 PCBs 1 PEG slot, not single slot cooling). There is only very rare and few situations where the XT/XTX beat the GX2.

However they aren't in the same price range, and for someone looking at the top of the line using SLi or Xfire, then sofar it's a tighter situation "(becaus the rate of progression adding a second card versus adding the 3rd 4th card is high enough to make it slightly more worthwhile looking at game-game performance.

A good look at the standard dual SLi GX2 is from Xbit, but far from the final word, it just gives as good idea of what to consider between those two, Quad SLi is a different question still;

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/nvidia-g...
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 6, 2006 5:46:50 PM

Quote:
*just kill me*

Quoth The Raven: "Nevermore". :wink:
August 7, 2006 1:13:55 AM

Sure Raven,
NVIDIA plainly has the edge in market share.
What percentage of the video card market does ATI hold? How about of the (in order to ensure SLI compatability and mass use) motherboard chipset market? I don't have the figures on-hand but I'll be shocked if it is 33% of the card market and 1% of the m-board chipset market.
As far as tech goes, NVIDIA has ALWAYS been the leader in producing the fastest gaming cards. Only afterward does ATI come up with something that is nearly as fast, or sometimes, a little faster.
Besides, NVIDIA is clearly the standard for SLI, where as ATI's Crossfire launch was a bit premature and left the market without any working motherboard-Crossfire card combinations to purchase. I think this left ATI a little embarassed and with the appearance of unreliability.

Can I throw in that since NVIDIA lets everyone use their chipsets (and ATI doesn't), they are now available from every producer of vid cards and motherboards on the planet.
The result is that NVIDIA is KING of the gaming market.

This is probably a good time for me to say that I have been an ATI fan and customer since 1995, and I believe that Crossfire is/will be a superior product. Unfortunately, the card market is a little more critical and will, for the most part, not be willing to give ATi a shot when KING NVIDIA is more widely available and usually faster.
That's why I'm so Jazzed about the merger. Actual competition is going to be great for us (read lower prices and better...well, everything!).

As for aakashsharma191 :
--well i would have said that to vote between nvidia's geforce 7950GX2 and atix1900xt then what would have been the opinions .Completely it dig up the heads of many people WHICH TO BUY???

What...???!!!
August 7, 2006 1:26:11 AM

Quote:
This is probably a good time for me to say that I have been an ATI fan and customer since 1995...

Uh...having said this, I am not currently an ATI customer. I haven't yet given up my aged AGP system, and therefore, currently own an e-VGA 7800gs superclocked vid card. I haven't found an ATI equivalent or I'd own it.
Plus, I LOVE e-VGA! :lol: ...very good company.
August 7, 2006 2:47:23 AM

Quote:
Sure Raven,
NVIDIA plainly has the edge in market share.
What percentage of the video card market does ATI hold? How about of the (in order to ensure SLI compatability and mass use) motherboard chipset market?

Ok.....glad were getting into this topic, I was speaking more along the technological line you hinted, but we'll see how you fair in that one too.

Quote:

I don't have the figures on-hand but I'll be shocked if it is 33% of the card market and 1% of the m-board chipset market.

Why dont you actually do something half way intelligent and google the numbers??? ATI' is 2nd in the GPU ring with Intel being 1st........that puts NV behind ATI....provided you can actually count to 3.

According to press realeses from last quarter, Intel holds the mobile GPU market with a 54.9% share, ATI in 2nd with 31% and Nv with 10.9%....

JPR figures Q2 of 06 Intel again led graphics arena with 34.8%, ATI in 2nd with 26.3% and Nv with 23.9%, leaving the rest of the 15% be fiddle by Matrox, XGI, SiS and VIA combined.

In discrete mobile, ATI is killing according to the number crunchers.

Then you have Apple products which are 75% dominated by ATI GPU's....

Motherboard market: Hmmm

I honestly couldnt give you a figure. Seeing as how the best board on market in terms of overclocking, stability and features is the DFI Crossfire 3200 (IMHO).....I'm going to take that as a positive sign for ATI.

ATI is relitively new to the motherboard market...I think the first chipset was in 04 if I'm correct? But building up such a quick fan base with great chipset offering these past few months says something if you ask me.

Quote:

As far as tech goes, NVIDIA has ALWAYS been the leader in producing the fastest gaming cards.

Lets trounce back a couple years ago. Remember the 8500? 9700pro??....that wasnt a competition, that was rape if I remember correctly.

Then the 9800 series..... ATI was dominate for nearly 2 years until mid 2004.

Then the level off with the 6series X8.....Nv took the lead with the 7800GTX, then came out the X1800XT....making it even again...and again the 7900 and X1900 series which can be argued either way at this point in time.

Quote:

Only afterward does ATI come up with something that is nearly as fast, or sometimes, a little faster.

R580 Debuted before the G71 and imo is still the leading single GPU solution as of right now....until the X1950's emerge....so yeah you have a great arguement there :lol:  :lo: :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Quote:

Besides, NVIDIA is clearly the standard for SLI,

You are aware SLI is only Nvidia's Multi GPU solution: Its not the name for ATI's product. Christ man, you sound like that banner off of newegg: " The standard for SLI"

Quote:

where as ATI's Crossfire launch was a bit premature

Actually, your a little right here, Crossfire had some bugs that needed worked out before launch..........read on...

Quote:

and left the market without any working motherboard-Crossfire card combinations to purchase.

That wasnt ATI's choice....they didnt leave the market either.
A manufactorer can choose to bundle a motherboard with a GPU....
Sapphire is going to be coming out with such a deal.....

Want me to go to newegg and count how many crossfire cards and compatible motherboards there are???? Speaking of which...I own
a Sapphire SB480, and in terms of overclocking, features, voltage tweaks and regulation. I find it superior to my Ultra D by a considerable amount.

Quote:

I think this left ATI a little embarassed and with the appearance of unreliability.

How so???

Quote:

Can I throw in that since NVIDIA lets everyone use their chipsets(and ATI doesn't),

AMD has XF boards.....AM2 is a little touchy, but we should be seeing one considering Nv is still making a coin off the ULI southbridges ATI needs for their boards. But conroe is supported....so OMG, you have like ONE pinset not supported?? Golly, we need to speak to them about this RIGHT NOW.

Quote:

The result is that NVIDIA is KING of the gaming market.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Quote:

and I believe that Crossfire is/will be a superior product.

Read your previous Crossfire statements....you just contradicted your own arguement you flaming retard :roll: :roll: :roll:

Quote:

Unfortunately, the card market is a little more critical and will, for the most part, not be willing to give ATi a shot when KING NVIDIA is more widely available and usually faster.

Widely available? Last I checked, I can go to newegg and pick up 5 of whatever ATI GPU I feel I want....am I missing something here???/

Quote:

Usually faster

I give it a tie mainly, however I tend to lean towards current features I can use in a GPU.....ATI gives me and many others what NV cannot produce at the moment. Your comment has next to nothing for support.

So now: Its YOUR TURN
August 7, 2006 1:57:30 PM

Okay Raven...UNCLE.
Wow! Do you design for ATI or just own a lot of stock??

Apparently you have waaaaaaaaayyyyy more time than I do to specifically analyze the ENTIRE GPU/chipset market, and it means alot more to you, so I conceed to your argument. You win.

However, you asked me to explain what I meant, and I did. I guess when I wrote "video card," I should have written "video card worth a crap."

My information is solely based on MY (consumer) observations, and what I found when researching the video card market as I was looking for a fast(er) AGP card.
Nvidia won, ATI didn't come close.
The same when looking for a good SLI...uh, I mean "multi-GPU solution" for my buddy's home built system.
By the way, of course I know that "SLI" is Nvidia's name. If you will recall I typed "Crossfire" a few times in my response as well. It's just that SLI is quicker to type than both "Crossfire" and "Multi-GPU." ALSO..."multi-GPU" is now regularly referred to (market-wide) by Nvidia's term, SLI. Just read a review or ad and (unfortunately) you'll see this for yourself. That's just how it is.

Are you really mad about this, because otherwise, I don't understand the name calling...

Okay, about this:
"Why dont you actually do something half way intelligent and google the numbers??? ATI' is 2nd in the GPU ring with Intel being 1st........that puts NV behind ATI....provided you can actually count to 3. "

I would have, but it's tough to get accurate numbers. You are clearly counting the piece of S*** Intel video products that are attached to mass produced motherboards ad nauseam. Of course Intel is the leader...they are also absolutely worthless for gaming or any other gpu-intensive function. But they are cheap and allow Dell and the others to sell a functional desktop for $399. Rock on Intel...
I can't recall, but what was the name of that high-end gaming card that Intel produced...? Oh, that's right... :?: :?

I guess what we should do is Google sales numbers for video cards with 256 mb ram or higher. Also, sales numbers for motherboards with Nvidia or ATI chipsets. Do you think this would give us an accurate view of the gaming/enthusiast market? This is basically what I was referring to.

Although I humbly conceed to your points, you will never convince me that ATI produces and sells more gaming/enthusiast video cards than Nvidia. I was not talking about on-board video or cell phone GPUs or base laptop GPUs or whatever else ATI, Intel, and Nvidia have attached their cheap or non-gaming products to.

I was talking about lower prices and better products due to a little better competition in this market.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 7, 2006 3:51:22 PM

Quote:
Okay Raven...UNCLE.
Wow! Do you design for ATI or just own a lot of stock??

I could say the same about you, crowning KINGs and whatnot. :roll:

You make statements without any supporting evidence, (though it was just released only a week ago).
Should be easy enough to find the JPR numbers were everywhwere last week.

ATi leads the graphics chips battle between the two of them, Intel leads all.
nV sell more discrete cards, ATi more mobile chips and integrated.

Quote:
Apparently you have waaaaaaaaayyyyy more time than I do to specifically analyze the ENTIRE GPU/chipset market, and it means alot more to you, so I conceed to your argument. You win.

Doesn't take much time to read, especially when it's nice and layed out like that article. But of course, he's not making the wild claims.

Quote:
However, you asked me to explain what I meant, and I did. I guess when I wrote "video card," I should have written "video card worth a crap."

Does that include the ones that are returned like the eVGA GF7900s? :p 

Quote:
My information is solely based on MY (consumer) observations, and what I found when researching the video card market as I was looking for a fast(er) AGP card.

You talk about cards worth a crap and then say you were looking @ AGP. :roll:

Quote:
By the way, of course I know that "SLI" is Nvidia's name. If you will recall I typed "Crossfire" a few times in my response as well. It's just that SLI is quicker to type than both "Crossfire" and "Multi-GPU."

Hint: SLi / Xfire , both easy to type. Now S3's MultiChrome will be a little harder to shorten, because I don't think anyone wants an MC in their system. If you thought a GF7600/7900GT was loud, just wait 'til you have an MC in your system. :mrgreen:

Quote:
ALSO..."multi-GPU" is now regularly referred to (market-wide) by Nvidia's term, SLI.

Only by lazy reviewers not worth reading to begin with. Second, the next generation cards won't be using a Link so it's a misnomer even for nV's solution. I'll give them credit though for pulling a name from the past and applying it for brand recognition, like putting a dead guy on the ballot in an election. Dumb people do dumb things, doesn't mean we must follow them like sheep.

Quote:
I would have, but it's tough to get accurate numbers. You are clearly counting the piece of S*** Intel video products that are attached to mass produced motherboards ad nauseam.

Except it doesn't matter if they were pieces of $hit or not, the statement was simply outsell, you modified it somewhat and obviously knew you needed. As the original statement goes, it was wrong, pointed out and then you tried to counterpoint the corrction, and you yourself left it amazingly open: "but everyone knows that NVIDIA has the edge in tech and market at the moment." and then "NVIDIA plainly has the edge in market share.
"
The question is... WHY are you now nitpicking when you simply repeated the original mistake which is wrong? Now you're trying to paint Raven unfairly because he corrected you. So really if you need to qualify your statements do so in the original not your defense of them afterwards.
And the statement about tech is ridiculous at best. If anything the 'TECH' in the ATi cards is slightly more advanced than nV's, not that that helps the X1600 much against the GF7600GT, except maybe Oblivion.

Quote:
I guess what we should do is Google sales numbers for video cards with 256 mb ram or higher. Also, sales numbers for motherboards with Nvidia or ATI chipsets. Do you think this would give us an accurate view of the gaming/enthusiast market? This is basically what I was referring to.

That you think 256MB+ means enthusiast board shows that more research is needed. I wouldn't be surprised if the best selling 512MB board is the X1300 or X1600, neither would be considered the pinnacle of graphics cards.

Quote:
Although I humbly conceed to your points, you will never convince me that ATI produces and sells more gaming/enthusiast video cards than Nvidia.

Even if they did and there were figures, I have a feeling that wouldn't convince you either. If the X1800 and 1900 series outsold the GF7600 and 7900 (which I would highly doubt with the GF7600 being such a great deal), would you change your argument to be that nothing equals the GX2 therefore only the top end in AGP (Gainward's GS and PCIe GX2 count)?

Quote:
I was talking about lower prices and better products due to a little better competition in this market.

Better products? Like all the eVGA GF7900s that needed a whole new SKU and a public statement that this isn't our old GF7900s; that kinda quality?
http://www.evga.com/articles/317.asp

How's that for the apperance of unreliability?

Your original statement is flawed, you make false claims without support, and then when Raven corrects you then question his unbiasedness and try to spread the blame eslewhere by saying it's everyone else's fault for not understanding what you meant by your overly generalized statements. Heck you still haven't even explained your F'-up in the 'tech' statement, unless you care to defend that too, because nV and ATi's "edge in tech" (like marketshare) sways back and forth, and I'd like to see your defense of 'tech' in this generation (which was arguably nV's in the GF6 generation, and ATi's in the R300/NV30 era).
August 8, 2006 8:12:21 AM

Quote:
However they aren't in the same price range

Well if we start thinking of prices then we should buy 7600GT :wink:

But the release 7950GX2 is pretty good answer to ATI and thus ati is gonna going to release it's x1950xt.Well i think it would blow up nvida.But currently 7900GX2 rules.

1 disadvantage of nvidia 7950GX2 is that it would take a mammoth space from your MOBO and you would have to make many adjustments to everything.

By the way boasting this card on Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe might give unbelievable results.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 8, 2006 2:20:33 PM

Quote:
However they aren't in the same price range

Well if we start thinking of prices then we should buy 7600GT :wink:

True but it should always be within a given comparison-range (the only time I recommended SLi [2 GF7800GTs cheaper but better performinb than 1 GTX-512]). You always want bang/buck, but comparing a GF7600GT to an X1800XT would be equally unfair given the price differences. But bang for the buck they are both pretty close. The GX2 does easily win the all out performance crown, but isn't the same bang/buck as an X1900XT/XTX or GF7900GT/GTX.

Quote:
But the release 7950GX2 is pretty good answer to ATI and thus ati is gonna going to release it's x1950xt.Well i think it would blow up nvida.But currently 7900GX2 rules.

There's no arguing that, but it's not a technology advantage nor even a sales advantage (how man GX2s do you think they sell versus XTX or GTX?).

Quote:
1 disadvantage of nvidia 7950GX2 is that it would take a mammoth space from your MOBO and you would have to make many adjustments to everything.

Actually the GF7950GX2 isn't really mammoth (still dual slot space solution like GTX), now the GF7900GX2 was a huge card.

Quote:
By the way boasting this card on Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe might give unbelievable results.

I don't know about that. I doubt the results will be that much more impressive, but we'll see. Personally I think once you reach this level you need 1GB per card to take the greatest advantage of all the extra horsepower for AA and high res. , but we'll see.
!