Pentium D vs. Core 2 Duo

Eman93

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I was just about to order a system with a Pentium D 930, but now I'm not sure. I will be doing a lot of video editing with this computer, so I want good performance. However, I'm going from a PIII so anything will be better than what I have now. I'm trying to stay in the $1000 - $1300 range including monitor. Should I go ahead with the Pentium D and upgrade later? Also, how is the Core 2 Duo faster at a slower clock speed than the Pentium D?

Thanks for the help!

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I was just about to order a system with a Pentium D 930, but now I'm not sure. I will be doing a lot of video editing with this computer, so I want good performance. However, I'm going from a PIII so anything will be better than what I have now. I'm trying to stay in the $1000 - $1300 range including monitor. Should I go ahead with the Pentium D and upgrade later? Also, how is the Core 2 Duo faster at a slower clock speed than the Pentium D?

Thanks for the help!

The 9XX Series will be a better fit for you. There is no point going for a 2Mb L2 Core 2 Duo if you can get the fastest Pentium D for the same price. And you can always Overclock that Pentium D 930 to 965EE levels And that'll give you performance Ratings of the Core 2 Duo "conroe" E6400 o/b :D

dimwhited

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
conroe is DEFFINATELY the way to go. I think for your price range you should get the E6600. It has the increased L2 cashe, and can be overclocked to faster then the X6800 (fastest.desktop.processor.ever) without too much trouble (I've heard atleast. when I get mine I plan on OCing the FSB to 1333, which I have read many places isn't too difficult if you have a good mobo, but I guess I'm getting a little off topic here)

IF for some reason you dont want a conroe, or it is somehow out of yoru price range, I would look at AMD X2s

Six of them have better price/performance then intel (and a lovely little article about which ones and their prices is right on the front page of tomshardware.com)

But DEFFINATELY get Conroe if you can. I'm not sure about what the person before me said about all of them being better then the EE965, because the E6600 is about the same (a little better then) the FX-62

PorkyTheClown

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Core Duo 2 all the way. If your doing heavy editing get at least the E6600. The E6600 has 4 mb of cache which doesn't help with games but does help with video editing. It also only uses 65 watts compared to at least 100 watts on the D 930 (not sure if that even matters). Also, the E6600 costs around $359.