new build w/ a8n32-sli shut off in cmos

sbarrack

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
on the very first boot of my newly-built asus a8n32-sli-boarded computer, i entered cmos, started to set the date, and the screen froze. about 15 seconds later, the computer powered off. i powered it back on. motherboard status light on, fans running, hd clicked, but no video. not good for the first boot. anyone have an idea at what i should look first?

my hardware configuration:

case: antec tx640b
ps: antec smartpower 2.0 400
cpu: opteron 165
fan: freezer 64 pro
ram: 2x1g ocz4002048eldcpe-k
video: xfx 7600 gt xxx
hd: raptor 74g sata
dvd: sony dru820a

any help is appreciated.

-stan.

sbarrack

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
well, for anyone watching, it looks like a bad power supply. when i plug the computer in, everything seems to power up, fans, hd, etc, but upon closer inspection, the fan on the power supply is not spinning. i am guessing that is bad.

halcyon

Splendid
well, for anyone watching, it looks like a bad power supply. when i plug the computer in, everything seems to power up, fans, hd, etc, but upon closer inspection, the fan on the power supply is not spinning. i am guessing that is bad.

That's what I'd thought too. It seems, from what I've read in this forum, that the A8N family is more finicky about power supplies and RAM than lesser boards. Yet I've got the TP 480 and some 7-Eleven RAM on my A8N SLi Premium and have not had trouble yet. :?